What makes you annoyed?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

What a great topic! A few things that get my goat include:

Getting a phone call from an automated machine at my bank or satellite TV provider or whatever, asking will I please call them because they want to ask me something.

Getting a phone call that, when you answer it, the line is quiet for a moment and then goes dead. Then, almost exactly 30 minutes later, a salesman calls. So again, the use of automated machines to check if I'm home, thereby saving THEM time.

eBayers that send me books in poor packaging that's just asking to fall apart, or get soaked through in the event of rain because there's no attempt at waterproofing.

Medical insurance. Sorry, this is always on my list.

Going to a fast food restaurant and ordering burgers and fries, and watching while the server dishes up the fries (while waiting for the burgers) and lets them sit there on HIS side of the counter... getting cold. If I want my fries to grow cold, that should be MY choice. These days I taste one as soon as he hands them to me, and if it's not piping hot and fresh, I give them back and demand new ones.

The "neighbor on the hill"... she has anywhere between 5-7 small yappy dogs that seem to change every week. They bark at me while I wander about MY lawn. Sometimes one will come down to my front door and look for scraps of food left out for the nice dogs next door (the other next door, who own proper dogs, not pretend ones). I wouldn't kick the yappy little dog, but I do delight in rushing out and scaring the *&%$ out of it.

Business clients (I do web design) who ask me to update their site and, when I tell them it's done and uploaded, they tell me no it's not, it's the same as before, and I tell them yes it is, your browser apparently isn't checking for new versions of your pages as it should, so try refreshing the page, and then they ask how to refresh a page... *bangs head on desk*
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Poor old Keith, that's so annoying for you, especially the dogs barking at you part! :lol: :lol:

Society Member
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

You know I think it is so nice that where ever we are in the world, you can chat to someone about your problems.
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Absolute Hates

Post by 7upromana01 »

What are you absolute hates? It can be anything: foods, peoples habits. Just tell the world!

My hates:
Cheese
When people say 'yerr' instead of 'year'
When people say they're a massive fan about something and they don't know anything about it.

I've got more just can't think of any more.

Merged with an older topic - Anita
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Re: Absolute Hates

Post by Poppy »

Mine:

PEOPLE: Awkward people, ignorant people....

FOOD: Spicy Food, Rice, liver, Bananas.... :roll:

PROGRAMS: The Simsons....

NOISES: Nails scraping across carpet....

SUBJECTS: Science....
Last edited by Poppy on 15 May 2013, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Apostrophes used in plurals (see above) :twisted:
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: What makes you annoyed?

Post by pete9012S »

the term 'al fresco' as used in the Daily Mail really gets my gander up!
Oh and also that expression 'For my sins' Uugh!
Not forgetting 'it ticks all the boxes.'...dreadful.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Moonraker wrote:Apostrophes used in plurals (see above) :twisted:
This is a pet hate of mine too, Nigel. :twisted:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Phone calls from cold callers. When you pick up there is no one there, and then a voice comes along the line saying I'm having trouble with my computer. I politely tell them to go away!!! :twisted:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Phone calls from cold callers. When you pick up there is no one there, and then a voice comes along the line saying I'm having trouble with my computer. I politely tell them to go away!!! :twisted:

8)

Just had a call from 'Unavailable'. I was going to ignore it, but was feeling in a devilish mood. So answered it. A lady in broken English announced she was from Accident Helpline and waffled on about having details of an accident I'd had. Clever really, as I don't think she actually asked for me by name, so I could have been a cleaner, babysitter, burglar!!!!!

I replied 'oh dear, have you had an accident? Are you badly hurt?' at which point she hung up - I'm guessing my reply wasn't on her crib sheet. :twisted:
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

:lol: :lol:

Well done, Katharine.

These cold callers can't get one over on us! :twisted:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Great response, Katharine! I've made a mental note of it for future use. :lol:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

We've had a couple of good replies in our family. My dad fobbed off a computer cold caller by pretending he was a computer store and making out that he thought the caller was trying to put in a bulk order for computers.

When someone tried to tell my husband he had a problem with Windows he replied that he didn't used Windows. The caller was surprised and asked who he did use, to which hubby replied 'Chimneys'.

When someone tried to get me to divulge which energy provider I was with I told them I didn't use electricity, as I live in a tent in the middle of a field.

Occasionally I feel guilty, maybe these callers are trying to earn a living as they possibly in a country that is deprived compared to ours, but surely they could find something more useful to do than pester people hundreds of miles away?
Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

I've made a few more mental notes after reading the inventive responses in your post, Katharine. Great stuff! :lol: :lol:

Society Member