Pointless Registration

Important forum announcements.
Moonraker

Re: Pointless Registration

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
Moonraker wrote:
Tony Summerfield wrote:despite some people thinking that I should sit at my computer in my well-staffed office for 24/7...
Don't you, then?
Do I heck! :roll:
Thoughtasmuch! :wink:
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I am inclined to believe that people, for whatever reason, get a nostalgic Enid Blyton rush and go online to check out whats available. They find us here, think "Ooh that looks great" and register. By the time they are activated a day or two later they have gone back to normal mode and decide to leave it a few days before posting and then forget about it completely as life takes over again. In other words they have a brief Blyton "fad" which ends before they get around to posting. That is the only explanation I can think of. If thats not it then the mind really does boggle at people carefully filling out the form etc and then ignoring their membership.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Tony Summerfield wrote:About a week ago someone sent me an email to ask why they still hadn't been activated when they had registered several hours ago. They had registered in the middle of our night and despite some people thinking that I should sit at my computer in my well-staffed office for 24/7 I do occasionally like to get a bit of sleep.
You've shattered my vision of you slaving away solely for our benefit :roll: :wink:
Tony Summerfield wrote: I immediately registered that person, but despite sending me a curt email they haven't yet logged in. In case they are reading this post, I am talking about you 'indigo'! :twisted
I wonder if they will dare now. :lol: :lol:
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
I immediately registered that person, but despite sending me a curt email they haven't yet logged in. In case they are reading this post, I am talking about you 'indigo'! :twisted:

Let's name and shame!!!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Tony Summerfield wrote:...despite some people thinking that I should sit at my computer in my well-staffed office for 24/7 I do occasionally like to get a bit of sleep.
On average, people need to sleep eight hours out of twenty-four. You could try sleeping one hour out of every three, Tony. That way, people would never have to wait much longer than an hour for you to activate their account or deal with their inquiry. Problem solved! :twisted: :wink:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I was wondering when you were coming on duty for the night shift! :lol:
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

We'll have to draw up a rota to make sure we eat, sleep, go shopping etc at different times! :lol:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
rogionline

Post by rogionline »

Well, I registered a few days ago and was planning to explore the website and the discussions before posting anything. I did have the impression from my first visit that I needed to register to be part of the forums. My experience with internet forums generally is that only a small percentage of members on the various lists ever actually post, most people just lurk.
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

rogionline wrote:Well, I registered a few days ago and was planning to explore the website and the discussions before posting anything. I did have the impression from my first visit that I needed to register to be part of the forums. My experience with internet forums generally is that only a small percentage of members on the various lists ever actually post, most people just lurk.
Hello and welcome rogionline. :D
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Lucky Star
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Hello and welcome too Regionline. :D I think you are right there. I know that the other major forum I belong to has a similar issue only, as its a much larger one, the number of redundant members there runs to thousands I think. I myself "lurk" occasionally on a couple of other forums which interest me but not enough to make myself a full time member. Its just the act of registering for nothing which puzzles me. It must be obvious if one is reading these forums in the first place that one does not have to register in order to continue reading.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
ria ann
Favourite book/series: Famous Five,Five Find-Outers,St.Clares,
Favourite character: Timmy, George,Bobby,Claudine,Alicia

Post by ria ann »

Welcome rogionline !!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Hope you have fun in the forums!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Ria Ann
elizabeth
Favourite book/series: Five findouters,Famousfive,St clares,MaloryTowers
Favourite character: Bets Pat Isabel Claudine Bobby Snubby June

Post by elizabeth »

Welcome rogionline!!
I hope you like the forum!!
'What did you say?' said Mam'zelle who was not well up on american slang.'Did you say,"Hallo, bodies"?That is not correct,Claudine.You should say, "hallo,everybody." '
anjana
Favourite book/series: St.clare's,Famous five,Malory towers
Favourite character: Isabel,Darrell,Janet,Hilary,George,Timmy,Bobby,Pat

Post by anjana »

A Warm welcome from me too!!!

Enjoy!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
I LOVE BOOKS!!
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

Some of these "silent" new members might be spammers - be careful of that.

Most spammers tend to be obvious with nonsensical user names and equally weird-looking e-mail addresses. Presumably these are vetted out. But some might be a bit smarter in their choice of user name and/or e-mail address. Just because they don't immediately start posting spam, it doesn't actually make them less dangerous. Some spammers can be "sleepers" and stay on a forum for days, weeks, months or even years, and then one day spring to life and start bombarding it with spam. They can also modify their profiles with dodgy links and suchlike.

I suspect it's shyness or laziness that's the problem for most of the non-posting newbies, but still, it's worth bearing the spammer angle in mind.
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
DazP

Post by DazP »

This may not apply to all but this is why I registered a few weeks ago and didn't post. (ok, I'm posting now which defeats the argument!)

Lying awake one night after reading the Valley of Adventure for the umpteenth time I thought I'd search online to see if anyone else had the same obsession with this wonderful book.
I stumbled across the society, forums and to my delight, a readathon on the adventure series.

Three nights later I felt like I knew everyone who had contributed! Although the readathon had ended some 18 months earlier I just had to comment, give my opinion and say thanks for a great read.

I duly registered, my mind compiling my thoughts into words.....then the message that said something like....

You will receive an email sometime soon in the future allowing you to join / post.

By the time my confirmation arrived (not too long, a couple of hours or so) the moment had passed. It was morning, off to work and.........

So, maybe people register because they want to say something, but as the process isn't instant the moment passes.

Anyway, I am glad I registered and joined the society and now through one of your advertisments am the proud owner of a first edition of my favourite book!