February 2009 - site moved to new server

Important forum announcements.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: February 2009 - site moved to new server

Post by Lucky Star »

All is working like a dream now Keith. Thanks once again for all the hard work you and others put into keeping this place up and running. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

Thank you, Keith.

Will there be any foreseen problems, as the site is tweaked, Keith?
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

Yes, everything working fine. I wasn't able to access the forums until today, that is Monday afternoon, so had to wait two whole days!! But it all looks good now. Good to see that the "Search" button has come under the User Control Panel, when I first reistered, I took ages to find "Search." Now, it's plainly visible.

Thanks, Keith. :D
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Wow! Lucky me; we've been busy lately, obviously extremely busy at work, as it seems no-one seems to realise that if they drive and walk as they normally do, they will fall over/crash. Unlike schoolteachers and most other workers, ambulance staff, doctors and nurses (including hospital cleaners) seem to be fully able to get into work.

Anyway, I have only just logged in and am quite pleased that I have had a couple of days away from the computer!

Very well done, Keith; I can only to begin to imagine the weight of the task in which you have been involved.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I've just noticed that when you click on a link in someone's post, it used to open in a new tab, now it replaces the EBS window...
Society Member
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Thanks for spotting that, Nigel -- all fixed. It wasn't a bug, the forums are actually designed to open links in the current window, but I agree it's much nicer to have links opening in new windows.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Thanks, Keith. :D
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

We seem to have the EBS header beside the Famous Five picture on the forums, thus spreading out the page and decreasing margins. Is this a bug, or is it intentional? :D

PS thanks for all the hard work Keith.

Society Member
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

Keith Robinson wrote:Thanks for spotting that, Nigel -- all fixed. It wasn't a bug, the forums are actually designed to open links in the current window, but I agree it's much nicer to have links opening in new windows.

What I do, is to right click on the link, and then select Open In New Tab. It works with the links in the EBS forums, as well.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Nigel hasn't got the time to do that, and neither do I. :wink:

Society Member
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Ming wrote:We seem to have the EBS header beside the Famous Five picture on the forums, thus spreading out the page and decreasing margins. Is this a bug, or is it intentional?
Golly, you're quick off the mark, Ming! Yes, it was intentional -- just trying to widen things a little. If anyone sees a wider header but the same width forums, try refreshing the browser to see the change.
Bannerman65 wrote:What I do, is to right click on the link, and then select Open In New Tab. It works with the links in the EBS forums, as well.
Yes, I do that a lot as I browse around the internet, but still, it's easier and more logical for the links in the forums to open new windows automatically.
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

Either way isn't a problem for me, though, Keith. :)
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

Ming wrote:Nigel hasn't got the time to do that, and neither do I. :wink:

I have oodles.

Thank you Dr Lector, for that quote.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

The widening of the page means I have to keep scrolling from left to right. is there a way I can reset the page more "normally"?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Lucky Star wrote:The widening of the page means I have to keep scrolling from left to right. is there a way I can reset the page more "normally"?
This is a problem I expected with a very small minority, and I'm sorry you're one of them!! But honestly, unless you have a VERY old computer monitor, you can easily get around this problem. Basically, the width of the website is no more than 890 pixels, so if you have your resolution set at the old 800 x 600 pixels then you'll need to scroll sideways just a little. But most screens these days are set to at least 1024 x 768 pixels or more.

First of all, make sure you don't have "Favorites" open down the left hand side of the screen. If you do then you're obviously going to be cutting down on your available screen space, even with a good resolution.

Second, in Windows XP, go to Start > Control Panel > Appearances and Themes > Display. A small Display Properties window will open with several tabs across the top. Click on Settings. Then look at the Screen Resolution. You most likely have it set to 800 x 600. Slide it along to 1024 x 768 (the most common standard these days). The screen will adjust and then you can either press "Apply" or "Okay" to confirm the new setting.

(It's the same in Vista only you go to Start > Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Adjust Screen Resolution.)