February 2009 - site moved to new server

Important forum announcements.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: February 2009 - site moved to new server

Post by Rob Houghton »

I really hate to moan, as you do such a good job, Keith, and really, the Famous Five 'square' at the left of the heading is fine (I guess! :wink: ) but I do think its a shame that it distracts from what I have always considered to be a wonderful banner on its own. The banner is really effective, but the Famous Five 'square' does spoil its artistic merit a little. It wouldnt look so bad if the banner itself was added to, maybe at a later date.

The 'square' also gives the impression that the 'Five' are somehow more important than the other series. :evil:

Don't worry: just a slight thing really, which I guess I'll get used to! :?

By the way, just thought I'd add that the other 'squares' representing each section (Cave of Books etc) seem to fit better somehow, and are less intrusive. I think it might be because the forum is the only section that doesnt have the dark pink border and so the 'square' with the Five on 'sticks out' more...Perhaps I'm just being picky... Anyway: you're doing a great job, Keith :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

I always welcome comments, Robert, good or bad, as long as they're constructive, which yours is. If I'm honest I'm not TOO sure about the square myself. It works great on the main site, but not so well here. I might just extend the banner further across to the left instead.

What do others think?

The main purpose was to widen the forums, as they always seemed skinny to me compared with the website, especially on all these new high resolution monitors! But I can work on the banner. By the way, the reason the Five picture was chosen is simply because that's the Interactive Island section on the main site, which is where the forums are located.

Thoughts, anyone?
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

Keith Robinson wrote:I always welcome comments, Robert, good or bad, as long as they're constructive, which yours is. If I'm honest I'm not TOO sure about the square myself. It works great on the main site, but not so well here. I might just extend the banner further across to the left instead.

What do others think?

The main purpose was to widen the forums, as they always seemed skinny to me compared with the website, especially on all these new high resolution monitors! But I can work on the banner. By the way, the reason the Five picture was chosen is simply because that's the Interactive Island section on the main site, which is where the forums are located.

Thoughts, anyone?

It's okay with me Keith, if the forums are widened. I have a 24" widescreen LCD monitor now, that has a top resolution of 1920x1200 DPI. And that's what I have it set to now. My old 19" CRT monitor, which I use as a backup monitor, can handle a maximum of 1600x1200 DPI.
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

I can't get really get used to that Famous Five picture, but being the change-hater that I am, I guess I'm just one of the minority. It would be better to enlarge the banner - not sure if it is possible, though! I am no computer expert!
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

The wider page is fine by me, but I do think it would just look better if the banner was made to stretch across the whole of the top of the page (of the forums), or maybe the 'square' would look better (as on the other sections) if we could maybe have the dark pink border on the forums? :D The dark border does look very classy 8)

I did realise after I'd posted the comment about the famous Five, that they are used here because its the emblem of the 'interactive island' :oops:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Thanks Keith. I did all that but it made the writing on screen fairly tiny so I've reverted. I'll just have to scroll until I can buy a new screen. Mine is unfortunatly a very old fashioned one. :cry:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Lucky Star wrote:Thanks Keith. I did all that but it made the writing on screen fairly tiny so I've reverted. I'll just have to scroll until I can buy a new screen. Mine is unfortunatly a very old fashioned one. :cry:
:lol: Making the writing on screen smaller is exactly the point -- changing the resolution so it's finer (smaller pixels) means you get more on the screen. Yes, it'll be a shock to the system (and your eyesight) for a little while, but the way things are going in the internet/website world, you're going to have to change your resolution to 1024+ sometime anyway. These figures (based on 13,000 visitors to the Society website) may interest you:

1024x768 - 39.89%
1280x800 - 15.14%
1440x900 - 13.21%
1280x1024 - 10.13%
800x600 - 4.80%
1680x1050 - 3.72%
1152x864 - 3.32%
1920x1200 - 2.64%
1280x768 - 1.27%
320x396 - 1.04% (iphone)

As you can see, 1024x768 or higher is basically the norm these days. Word of warning, Lucky Star, when you buy a new screen -- there are screens that can handle 1920x1200 as above, but MORE pixels is not necessarily BETTER! I find that my 1440x900 screen is perfectly adequate and I wouldn't want the resolution any finer. Trouble is, there's really only one decent setting on LCD screens so make sure when you buy a new screen that it's native/default setting is comfortable.
:wink:
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

In my case Keith, 1920x1200 DPI IS my LCD monitor's native/default setting. I did have a look at some of the lower resolutions, but eventually went with the native one, instead.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I think the best pixels is 1024x768 - perfect text size! I tried making my one larger, but couldn't stand the small font. :D

Society Member
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

I switched from the 1024 screen (its maximum) to a 1440 laptop, and I admit it took a week or two to get used to. But now it's like I was always using this screen, and the old 1024 screen looks ridiculously clunky. But 1024 is perfectly adequate for just about ALL websites -- the reason I like the 1440 is because I need the extra desktop space when using graphics programs, which have a lot of toolbars cluttering up the space.

Bannerman, I'm guessing that your 1920 resolution would work for me too IF I had a 21" screen as you do! But my laptop is a 15" screen and those 6" make all the difference (apparently)!!
Philip Mannering

I agree with Ming - I think the best pixels are 1024x768: not too tiny and not too big! :D I've experienced 1280 as well, but that's very small.
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Philip Mannering

I have a "bug" to report. In the Cave of Books the covers of books don't seem to load properly. They load half and that's about it, leaving a half (comical, if I may say so) cover. Trivial error, but it will be good to have the, err, "whole" covers back! :lol:
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Tell me which books you are looking at, as it is all working perfectly okay for me.
Philip Mannering

I was at the Adventure Series, Tony, and noticed that the covers are displayed fully but not so for the dustwrappers. This seems to be a problem with Family Books, too.

Although Barney 'R' Mysteries, Famous Five and Mystery series' dustwrappers are all loading perfectly! :?

So some of the books have a problem and some do not.
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Philip Mannering wrote:I have a "bug" to report. In the Cave of Books the covers of books don't seem to load properly. They load half and that's about it, leaving a half (comical, if I may say so) cover. Trivial error, but it will be good to have the, err, "whole" covers back! :lol:
I'm afraid that's a browser issue, Tufty. First of all, try refreshing the page. If that doesn't do it, see if the illustrations are loading, or trying to load -- if they are, it may be that your browser or internet connection is not dealing very well with the amount it has to load on that page. The "show/hide illustrations" setting is remembered from page to page, and perhaps you have it set to "show illustrations" -- so try clicking the "Hide illustrations for now" link to switch them off, and then refresh the page to see if that helps. Failing all that, clear out your temporary internet files.

Let me know what happens!