Website Makeover

Important forum announcements.
Tony Summerfield

Re: Website Makeover

Post by Tony Summerfield »

As Keith said , please keep the suggestions coming, nothing is set in stone and we are still thinking of ways of improving - we have actually been discussing it off air this evening!

I am also delighted that it has been received so well, but repeat what I said earlier, there is still a lot more that I intend to do in the Cave of Books.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Well, as I said on another post, I've only just come back from a week's holiday, so havent seen much of the site yet, but I really love the new header: so bright and colourful, and a great improvement. It sums up what Enid Blyton is all about! :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

There was some talk a few moons ago about giving us some titles. Maybe now we have a new look it might be worth considering again. Tony's Society Organiser looks a bit Church of England, how about Gang Leader?! Anita and Keith (seemingly the only management to visit our shed any more) also deserve a more Blytonian name. I know there can be problems in giving us ordinary gang members names as it can encourage pointless posts just to get into the next bracket, but maybe it's worth a thought.

What do you think?
Society Member
Jen-Jen
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Fatty, George, Barney and Darrell

Post by Jen-Jen »

The new site looks positively wizard!!!! I just love how the image in the top left corner changes very appropriately when you click on the links to the pages. And it is so colourful now!! A great job!!! It makes me just want to dive in and explore!!! Well done Keith and Tony!!! :D
"I should think that if it came to pushing, Eunice might send old Fatty flying" - Larry The Mystery of the Missing Man
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

We seem to be doing much better than the last time! After two comments from Sobres, she vanished!

Sobres wonders if we should be called The Secret Enid Blyton Society.

Keith obviously agrees, as it says on the Society Shed page:

Society Shed
Welcome to our secret club!

Haven't we come a long way since those early days? Yet another occassion to say a big thank-you to Tony for all the information he has researched and uploaded.

It's fascinating looking back through the archives of this wonderful Forum.
Society Member
Tweenid
Favourite book/series: "Mystery" and "Adventure"
Favourite character: Bets

Post by Tweenid »

I really like the new look-its very easy and pleasant on the eye!
Great selection of images as always.
"Food always tastes SO much nicer out of doors!"
In my teens,I wanted to be Anne from the Famous Five.
In my twenties,I realised I was.
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Golly, I think you all might need to pummel me in a moment, because with all these nice comments I fear I might start boasting like good old Fatty: "Well, you know, I'm top of my class you know..." :D

I'd like to add again though, that good old Anita was as much part of this redesign as Tony and I, especially with regards the left-hand buttons and associated top-left corner images. Of the seven buttons, only two of the pictures were my own choice: Society Shed and Cave of Books. The former was an obvious choice, but the cave picture was one I put there originally as an example -- but it seemed there was nothing to match it. The are many, many books featuring caves, but it seems very few have a nice color picture showing the cave entrance!

I would have had a third button with my chosen picture, but I was outruled. Interactive Island was originally this cover which was the right set of colors and the island is suitably mysterious (with all the kids looking at it). The current picture is just as good though, and certainly more "original" than mine, so no complaints from me!

Personally speaking, I like the masthead better than the old one too. The old one looked just fine until I did the new one; now the old one already looks kind of dismal!

Most of the scenes within the masthead should be familiar, but I wonder who would be first to correctly identify each and every book from memory, WITHOUT CHEATING! -- and not just the characters, but the actual book the scene came from. A bonus pretend prize for getting Mr Goon right, as technically speaking this picture isn't from a book, merely associated with one.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I thought of going one stage further than this, Keith - there are actually illustrations from 16 different books on the Home Page (I am not counting Goon here!) and I wondered if anyone could name them all, now that would be quite an achievement. :lol:

Just remember I did say that if you had your heart set on the Secret Island pic, I wouldn't have thrown my rattle out of the pram!! :lol:
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Yes, you're right -- 16 images to name! An impressive feat indeed!

Don't worry, I'm happy with the Interactive Island image. I know you said you didn't mind either way, but honestly I didn't either, and the current image seemed slightly more favorable. :D
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Well, I've had a go, 'cheated' at just one (the cave: checked a hunch on the book list and I was right! :oops: ) But there's still one I'm not sure of (the school one)... :?

I've listed the pictures across the top, down the side, then the two extra ones from in the text...

1 Pic of EB from 'The Enid Blyton Story' cover
2 Rilloby Fair
3 School story???_________________
4 The Magic Faraway Tree
5 Five Run away Together
6 The Island of Adventure
7 The Treasure Hunters (frontispiece)
8 The Secret Seven
9 A Story party at Green Hedges
10 A Picnic Party with EB (back cover?)
11 Chimney corner Stories (Dean reprint)
12 The Secret of Spiggy Holes (slightly cheated with this one :oops: )
13 Five on a Treasure Island
14 The Adventure of the Secret Necklace
15 Enid Blyton's Adventure Treasury (Coloured illustration from 'The Treasure Hunters')
16 The Secret of the Old Mill

8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

You've done very well indeed, Robert! Can anyone identify the school story?
Keith Robinson wrote:I would have had a third button with my chosen picture, but I was outruled. Interactive Island was originally this cover which was the right set of colors and the island is suitably mysterious (with all the kids looking at it). The current picture is just as good though, and certainly more "original" than mine, so no complaints from me!
Have to admit I was the first to express doubts about the modern Secret Island picture (sorry Keith, and anyone else who is fond of it!) The mysterious-looking island is great but I dislike the portrayal of Peggy - her hair seems stiff, as if she's sprayed it heavily with lacquer, and I don't know what she's supposed to be wearing but it looks to me like a purple satin cloak.

Although Tony and I put forward suggestions for pictures for the masthead, the final choice and arrangement of images was all Keith's work. I very much like the way some of the characters appear to "interact" with one another - eg. the Famous Five characters seem to be looking out onto the Island of Adventure scene. I also love the fact that Barney over on the left looks as if he is putting out his hand to present the rest of the characters.

Best of all, the Home Page is completely Noddyless! :twisted:

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: Can anyone identify the school story?
Third Form at Malory Towers?

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Hmm, yes; I know I have my interests cited in two camps, but I have to say I prefer the Island picture that has been selected. So, if I were elated to the echelons of power, then I would have overuled you too, Keith! :)
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Best of all, the Home Page is completely Noddyless! :twisted:
Shame on you, old thing. I know you hate our little wooden friend, but you shouldn't let your predudices influence your opinions. :evil:

Noddy is probably Enid's most well known character (and I appreciate you hate him!), but I feel his presence should be there! Don't forget, he still appears daily on Channel 5 (even if the stories are not written by EB!)
Last edited by Moonraker on 23 Sep 2008, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Noddy deserves a place beside the Weekly Serial banners, methinks, when he was being carved by Old Man Carver - something like a writer "carving" his stories! :) :twisted:

Society Member