Website Makeover

Important forum announcements.
Tony Summerfield

Re: Website Makeover

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Julie's problem has also been mentioned by Somita in the Home Page Secret Messages - perhaps they use the same browser?
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

I don't suppose anyone with this "left button" issue could do me a screenshot? Julie? It's pretty easy -- just open Microsoft Word, for example, and keep it open in the background. Then view the website in your browser, and press "Print Screen" on your keyboard (should be to the right of the F12 key). This copies the entire screen to your clipboard as an image. Then all you need to do is go back to Word, place your cursor somewhere on the page, and simply paste in the screenshot. (You can use right-click "Paste," or press the clipboard symbol at the top, or use Edit > Paste, or even CTRL+V on the keyboard.)

Then email me the Word doc.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Hi Keith, I'm on internet explorer 7. I've also emailed you as instructed, via your own site, mystery@.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Keith Robinson wrote:
[Anita:]
On my browser I can see those well on every page except the Forums pages, where they're partially obscured by the masthead

Yes, another bug specific to IE6 -- IE8 is fine. I've fixed it now though. Anita, update your browser for goodness' sake! :D
Thanks for fixing the bug, Keith. Actually I'm on Internet Explorer 7, like Julie, though I'm not experiencing the problems that she's having with the text on the buttons.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

The new look is very nice indeed. I got quite a surprise when I saw it, as I hadn't read the announcement.
I don't seem to have had any problems either.
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Julie, I think the problem you're having is to do with your cache/temporary internet files. Here's the screenshot you sent me:

What a mess!! It's not even remotely correct. I think what's happening is that the site is loading the new page but isn't grabbing the new stylesheet. The stylesheet is what puts everything in the right place, as well as sets colors and things. If your browser is still trying to use the old stylesheet with the new site then it won't find the styles for the new buttons or header image.

Re-load the page on your screen and press the Refresh button. Or, failing that, clear your temporary internet files. That will force the browser to go and look for a newer version of the stylesheet.

Let me know if that helps. I believe Somita is having a similar (?) problem so perhaps she could try refreshing also. You should see this:

Anita, sorry -- I assumed you were still using IE6 as I could only see the issue you mentioned on IE6 and not 7 or 8. :oops:
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

HURRAH!!!! I've got the same screen now as everyone else. No wonder the first one I viewed this morning was absolutely mind blowing, it's completely different from the one I now have.

Your advise worked Keith. Thanks very much. (A regular knight in shining armour :D )

This site looks just as good, and I can actually read all the words down the left hand side. :D

The cave of books is fantastic. Just the place to loose yourself in. :D

Once again I have to thank Keith, Tony and Anita. Love this new look.

8)

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

the new look is very nice.all the colourful pictures make me feel joyful.change for the better.

LOVE IT VERY MUCH!!! :mrgreen:
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Great stuff, Julie! I'm sure this is a rare and short-term problem anyway, affecting only a handful of people. Because I constantly edit files and view them in a browser while working, I occasionally get that issue too -- my changes not being reflected until I refresh the page. But closing a browser and re-opening it does the same thing as refreshing, so at worst people should find everything is fine next time they get online. :D

So far so good -- y'all seem to like it! Thanks for the comments, it's good to know what you're thinking. Does anyone NOT like it? Anything negative at all? Anything that could be improved?
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Exuse the temporary adolecent moment here please as I say ; AWESOME!!!!

Back now! :lol:

Great work!!! Lovin' it!
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I must just add my belated congratulations to all concerned and especially Keith. The site looks fantastic, completely new, fresh and exciting. I have'nt had too much time to explore so far but I'll spend some time tomorrow acquainting myself with everything.

The new banner is even better than the old one that I loved so much. Swunderful. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Aarghhhhh! Just logged-in at work, and have got the same screen that Julie had! Reloaded the screen, and all is well! :D
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Keith Robinson wrote:Anita, sorry -- I assumed you were still using IE6 as I could only see the issue you mentioned on IE6 and not 7 or 8. :oops:
No worries. :) To be honest I didn't have a clue which version we were using until I followed your advice to Julie and clicked on "Help," then "About Internet Explorer" to find out!

Golly - you must have thought Mr. Meddle and Mr. Twiddle had taken over the site when you saw that muddled version of the Home Page, Julie! Glad you can see the screen properly now. :D

Anita

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: Golly - you must have thought Mr. Meddle and Mr. Twiddle had taken over the site when you saw that muddled version of the Home Page, Julie! Glad you can see the screen properly now. :D
Anita
I thought it was jazzy Anita. And wouldn't have known any difference, if I'd hadn't mentioned it was difficult to read the left hand listings :D

Glad I've got the proper version though, its great.

8)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I thought it was jazzy Anita. And wouldn't have known any difference, if I'd hadn't mentioned it was difficult to read the left hand listings :D
:lol: :wink:

Society Member