Farout and Faraway: A customized cover

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Farout and Faraway: A customized cover

Post by Judith Crabb »

I've been impressed with the enthusiastic support or criticism directed at illustrators of Blyton's books. I have my favorites and Dorothy Wheeler is one of them. By 1990 I realized that it was unlikely that anyone on an ordinary income could afford a dust-jacketed First Edition of 'Up the Faraway Tree' a book I had been craving close on forty years. Pocket money clasped in sweaty palm as a child I would visit town in my summer holidays but no one had ever seen the book. So in my forties I settled for a 1991 Red Fox paperback, but I disliked the cover illustration by Gerry Embleton and Peter Dennis, not at all subtle. Only Dorothy Wheeler seemed to recognize that people with a 'moon face' did not have a moon sitting on top of their necks but simply a very round face. So I looked around for a picture to cover the front and rear wrapper of my new paper-back. I found a damaged dust-jacket - I forget the book it was from (perhaps another Blyton?) - cut out a picture of 'Pixie' Lodge, a teahouse in a tree with lucious-looking tarts being delivered on a plate and fixed it under the title on the front cover while for the back I chose a small picture of a rabbit following a 'sweets' signpost along a branch. I carefully covered the book in non-adhesive plastic. I have made a unique cover for a favorite book.
I'd love to read a similar story. Are there any out there?
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Farout and Faraway: A customized cover

Post by Fiona1986 »

My mum ruined her paperback of The House at Red Roofs and replaced the cover with a white sheet of paper with a house drawn on it, does that count?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

Definitely. I've seen a great variety of home-made covers, sometimes dust-jackets which are more faithful to the stories than the printed covers. Some of course are pretty basic but if I had the genius of an Arthur Rackham or an E.H. Shepard I wouldn't be cut and pasting - I'd be drawing my own.

Inappropriate dust-jackets. Now there's a topic worth pursuing.
Society Member
Ice_Gemz
Favourite book/series: The Folk of The Faraway Tree

Post by Ice_Gemz »

Not personalised or created, but as a youngster I thought the books looked better without the jackets and removed them from several of my books, some long lost since. :(

I kick myself now however, as an adult who understands the beauty and value of the original dust jackets and as one who cringes as photocopied versions.