Betty Maxey FF 70's Hardbacks

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
kirrin_castle
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Adventure Series / Famous Five
Favourite character: George,Tim,Jack Trent,Barney,Snubby & Loony

Betty Maxey FF 70's Hardbacks

Post by kirrin_castle »

I have been collecting the Famous Five 70's paperbacks with Betty Maxey covers & internal illustrations. I was never aware that there was also a hardback issued, I believe most of them were from Brockhampton Press 1974 when Betty's illustrations were mainly first used. I have managed to buy 4 of these (Plenty Of Fun, Secret Trail, Finniston Farm & Mystery To Solve), and have seen a few more on google searches, namely Demon's Rocks, Fall Into Adventure & Wonderful Time. I attach a link below to Finniston Farm as an example.

Does anybody know if every title in the series was available in hardback, or only some? Has anyone got any pics they can share?

They seem very hard to find on searches through Ebay, Amazon, Abe Books, Oxfam etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/famous-five- ... 2749.l2648" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by kirrin_castle on 08 Mar 2019, 21:25, edited 2 times in total.
Jonathan

Well, you know what grown-ups are,' said Dinah. 'They don't think the same way as we do. I expect when we grow up, we shall think like them - but let's hope we remember what it was like to think in the way children do'.
Island Of Adventure
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Re: Betty Maxey FF 70's Hardbacks

Post by Boatbuilder »

I know they are Famous FIVE books, but why FIVE identical links? Image
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
kirrin_castle

Post by kirrin_castle »

Sorry was trying to link to five pics but picked up same one, now edited thanks
Jonathan

Well, you know what grown-ups are,' said Dinah. 'They don't think the same way as we do. I expect when we grow up, we shall think like them - but let's hope we remember what it was like to think in the way children do'.
Island Of Adventure
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

kirrin_castle wrote: Does anybody know if every title in the series was available in hardback, or only some? Has anyone got any pics they can share?
Hi kirrin_castle - yes I think you can collect them, but they are hard to find, I agree.
Click on the link below to see the list of the twenty one Famous Five books in the cave:

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/famous-five.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then click on a specific book - the hardback 1974 editions you desire are usually the fourth book listed, although that can vary and there are some Tony doesn't have scans for yet.

If there were any of the twenty one that did not get released in 1974 hardback edition I'm sure Tony will know which books, but I think they possibly did do the full set, they may not have printed that many though?? :cry:

May I also say you have excellent taste!

I have a couple myself, but they are extremely well worn now and battered!

As another example: Five Run Away Together 1974 hardback is the fifth version listed in the cave:

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/boo ... y+Together" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope that helps.

Regards

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Here are the editions I found in the cave and one I found that we have scans for:

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Regards

Pete

Society Member
kirrin_castle

Post by kirrin_castle »

Thanks so much pete9012S, that really is a great help, although now I have the task of trying to find them all! I had of course seen the covers in the Cave Of Books but had thought they were all paperbacks, but now you have picked them out I can see they are all hardback. Yes I love the betty maxey books from my childhood, I've only come to know Eileen Soper's work as an adult, so I love both the same now. When I have received my hardback Five Have A Mystery To Solve I can send a scan to replace the missing picture in the cave, would I send that to Tony? Thanks again
Jonathan

Island Of Adventure
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Yes you could email it to him and when he gets a minute I'm sure he will pop it in the cave for you.

Regards

Pete

Society Member
aminmec
Favourite book/series: Family at RedRoofs , Five go down to the sea
Favourite character: Amelia Jane , Bumpy Dog .

Post by aminmec »

I remember there being Hardcover editions of the ' bold red printed title of Famous five' one. Did they print all 21 as well..
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

1986 Hodder & Stoughton, illustrations by Jolyne Knox, cover uncredited (*)

This version?
Looking through the cave's details it looks like they did.

Society Member
aminmec

Post by aminmec »

Yes these are the ones.However they would have Betty Maxey's art jut like the paperback versions and not Jolyene Knoxs .
It's a pity we don't know who the cover artist was. I quite liked all these covers
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Yes, those covers are rather nice. They're the same as the covers of the slightly earlier paperbacks, but with the addition of a blue border. I wonder if they were done by one of the artists who did Famous Five illustrations for the Purnell annuals, or for Look-in or jigsaws. Mike Noble and John Cooper were associated with that kind of thing but there were others too and I don't think we know all their names.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

aminmec wrote:Yes these are the ones.However they would have Betty Maxey's art jut like the paperback versions and not Jolyene Knoxs .
It's a pity we don't know who the cover artist was. I quite liked all these covers

1993 Award, illustrations by Jolyne Knox, cover uncredited
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/boo ... ure+Island" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all those hardbacks were illustrated by Farwa's favourite illustrator Joleyne Knoxs?

I'm not absolutely certain whether Tony will be adding any Jolyene Knoxs Famous Five illustrations into the cave?
Even the sublime, inimitable Betty Maxey has only just made it in by default! :D

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

pete9012S wrote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all those hardbacks were illustrated by Farwa's favourite illustrator Joleyne Knoxs?

I'm not absolutely certain whether Tony will be adding any Jolyene Knoxs Famous Five illustrations into the cave?
Even the sublime, inimitable Betty Maxey has only just made it in by default! :D
No, not all Award editions are illustrated by Joleyne Knox. Later books are illustrated by someone else.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
aminmec

Post by aminmec »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Yes, those covers are rather nice. They're the same as the covers of the slightly earlier paperbacks, but with the addition of a blue border. I wonder if they were done by one of the artists who did Famous Five illustrations for the Purnell annuals, or for Look-in or jigsaws. Mike Noble and John Cooper were associated with that kind of thing but there were others too and I don't think we know all their names.
Anita I feel its the same artist who did the Famous Five game books ,the ones with book ,cards and maps etc .I don't know the names of the game books as I don't have any.Is that artist a well known one ?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

We used to have a couple of the 1980s game books and my daughter enjoyed playing with them, but they got lost over the years. According to the Cave, the illustrator is Gary Rees:

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/boo ... =fivegames" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member