Eileen Soper

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Re: Eileen Soper

Post by Judith Crabb »

Thanks for those positive responses, Viv and Anita. I've been reading Andrew Maunder's new biography (to be recommended highly and he has interesting comments on the Blyton-Soper realtionship, new to me but possibly not to you, Viv) and I was reminded that Enid Blyton's association with the publishing firm of Evans Brothers spanned almost her whole career from the 'Teacher's World' in the 1920s to the Enid Blyton Magazine of the 50s. The company which published the latter was the E.B. (i.e. Evans Brothers and Enid Blyton) Magazine Co., Ltd.
I went to my Blyton collection and found five books which Evans published for her, all in dust-jackets. Two have dust-jackets by Soper, 'Rainy Day Stories' with a front panel of two cheerful children under an umbrella, this one signed 'Eileen A. Soper', and 'Round the Year with Enid Blyton' with a wrap-around jacket featuring vignettes of the seasons, this one unsigned and unattributed.
I love meandering along the bye-ways of books. I'll leave the highways to others.
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I was at Harrogate book fair last Friday and I purchased When Badgers Wake, a beautifully
written work by Eileen Soper. It was published in 1955, a first edition and follows the life of the badger. Illustrated throughout with some gorgeous line drawings by Eileen, instantly recognisable from her work as Enid's illustrator for so many different titles.
Miss Soper had devoted over 1000 hours to observing the badgers, most of it at night.
It's clearly a work of love and I'm looking forward to reading it.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

That sounds like a great purchase. :)
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

John Pickup wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 20:08 I was at Harrogate book fair last Friday..
I hope you found time to fit a decent pub crawl around your book fair jaunt John! :wink:
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Jomo
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Timmy, Anne

Post by Jomo »

As I was celebrating being alive and present I thought to look online and see if there was anything available by Eileen Soper.
I found these two on eBay Australia. I had to haggle a little for both but I got them for ‘just do-able’ prices.
They have been posted. I have to wait.
[fidget-fidget-fidget]

“To grow up in intimate association with nature – animal and vegetable – is an irreplaceable form of wealth and culture.” 
~Miles Franklin, Childhood At Brindabella: My First Ten Years
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Interesting purchases, John and Jomo. I bought a copy of Wildings some time back and I thoroughly enjoy looking at Eileen Soper's exquisite artwork.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

I hope you aren't fidgeting too long, Jomo. I ordered a book from a seller on ebay and it was sent second class mail with a stated arrival date of last Wednesday (16th). When it hadn't arrived with our mail yesterday I contacted the seller who seemed somewhat 'put-out' that I had queried the non-arrival.

As I was writing this our mail arrived today - and still no book. :roll: I have given them until Tuesday next week but I don't hold out much hope. Our second class mail doesn't take that long - even allowing for any 'Covid-delays'.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Jomo

Post by Jomo »

Of course a FF fan, I’ve been a long time appreciator of Eileen Soper’s art, I think It was her drawings that first evoked an appreciation of drawing techniques, the skilful line that creates and describes the subject so eloquently, the potency and power of a simple ink mark. I’m waiting to savour this production.

I cannot figure out our postal service, some things take days or more than a week to travel a short distance from nearby suburbs, yet I’ve had 2-day delivery from the far extremities of the country, North Queensland and Western Australia.
“To grow up in intimate association with nature – animal and vegetable – is an irreplaceable form of wealth and culture.” 
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

A great purchase Jomo. I was wondering if you buying spree had halted - or if you were becoming more selective - or if like me you were running out of cash!!! :wink:

Society Member
Jomo

Post by Jomo »

Being very selective now Pete, and seeking out the best purchases (high on my list of desirables, top quality and condition, low price), spotting them, circling round them like a wolf in the night, before I spring on the unwitting vendor with an offer they have to consider.
I have lost a few objects of desire that way but I’ve won far more :D :D :D
And every fortnight I run out of my little stash of disposable income after living costs, but what the heck, I have no other vices and this bargain hunting is fun.
Last edited by Jomo on 20 Mar 2022, 01:56, edited 1 time in total.
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Yes I agree Jomo - I believe personally a large part of the fun of procuring elusive books is in the hunt and the chase!

Society Member
Splodj

Post by Splodj »

A book about Eric Liddell says that Soper wanted to marry him.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/real ... et-8165212
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks, Splodj. We've had a link to that article before (in another thread) and, although it claims that Duncan Hamilton is telling the story of Eileen Soper and Eric Liddell for the first time, the information has actually been taken from Wildings: The Secret Garden of Eileen Soper by Duff Hart-Davis (1991). The portrait is reproduced in Duff Hart-Davis' book and Eileen Soper's poem is printed in full.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member