Betty Maxey illustrations (Famous Five)

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Betty Maxey illustrations (Famous Five)

Post by pete9012S »

After being absolutely inundated with requests for more Maxey - here is another edition that will not be found in everyone's bookcase:

1974 Brockhampton Hardback - Maxey External & Internals.

The sumptuous Maxey rear.

A Maxey 'White Spine'..

Betty Maxey expertly depicts Tim as a 'big powerful dog'..

In the cave? You bet!
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/boo ... y+Together" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How does it compare with the two Soper covers and the 2017 edition???

ImageImageImage

Again, just my opinion, but Betty has done well!

2017 Hodder, not illustrated, cover by Laura Ellen Anderson

This 2017 is not the worst cover I have ever seen - perhaps you prefer it to the ones above?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

That 2017 cover is actually quite nice. I don't usually like the modern "cartoonish" covers but that one is attractive. For me the Maxey cover is redolant of my childhood and I'll always have a soft spot for it (and the others of those editions).

Soper's first edition with all five peering out at the smugglers on Kirrin Island is the best of the four I think. Her second effort with George , Julian and the old ship is also very good, more dramatic but I still prefer the first edition.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Lucky Star wrote:..I still prefer the first edition.
I agree John, it is a great cover. I actually have it in a frame in our hall at home!

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Lucky Star wrote:That 2017 cover is actually quite nice. I don't usually like the modern "cartoonish" covers but that one is attractive.
I still reckon that if Laura Ellen Anderson's Julian put on Dick's red and white striped shirt, he'd be a dead ringer for (Where's) Wally. :P But I agree, that's one of her best covers — it's very atmospheric and it even depicts a scene that actually relates to the book, unlike some of the new covers... :roll:
pete9012S wrote: The sumptuous Maxey rear.
:lol: It's the same as her front, Pete, you doofus! :wink:
pete9012S wrote: Betty Maxey expertly depicts Tim as a 'big powerful dog'..
I like Maxey's version of Tim, although I prefer to imagine him a bit shaggier a la Soper — and Enid tells us that even Soper didn't draw him exactly like the real dog she had in mind, so the "real Timmy's" appearance will probably always remain a mystery. But my first read of Five Run Away Together was the TV tie-in edition and I always loved this portrait of Tim towards the end:

And while we're here, who could ever forget Julian's legendary stand-offs with Ma and Pa Stick!! :D

Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

pete9012S wrote: I agree John, it is a great cover. I actually have it in a frame in our hall at home!

Awesome, Pete! :D I think I like that cover the best too.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Lucky Star wrote:That 2017 cover is actually quite nice. I don't usually like the modern "cartoonish" covers..
Same here John.
I will take a look at the other 2017 edition covers and see if there are any other decent ones!

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's good to see your framed Five Run Away Together cover, Pete, and I agree with others that that cover is the best as it's eye-catching and full of colour. The Maxey one is atmospheric and very nostalgic for me so I'd put that second. The redone Eileen Soper cover is okay but nothing special, while the Laura Ellen Anderson one is nicely composed but let down by the depiction of the children (they look like rag dolls).
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

Nice picture Pete. A great decorating idea. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Let's today focus on the sadly underappreciated artistic consistency and continuity of the artwork produced Betty Maxey.

Books: 1. Treasure island & 16. Billycock Hill.

I'm sure you remember Julian sneaking into his Uncle Lionel, sorry Quentin's study in the first book.

Let's skip forward to book 16. Billycock Hill, again in Kirrin Cottage:

The Five as usual are poring over a map before planning their next exciting journey.
But, compare the chair and rug in the two pictures! See the majestic continuity in Betty's work.

Posers: Are the children looking over the map inside Quentin's study in book sixteen? Has the chair been moved? Are their two chairs? Has Betty used the chair as a prop sixteen books ago and thinks we pesky grown ups won't notice? Surely not!!

Do the chairs really match up? Let's find out:

ImageImage

Yes! It seems safe to conclude this really is the same chair. Does it appear in any other books? As you will surely appreciate, the hunt is now on!!!

Another exciting point of note: The humans and even the chairs have legs - surely this must indicate how much Betty valued this illustration. She did not include legs of people and furniture willy-nilly as connoisseurs of her work will already appreciate...

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I suppose Betty Maxey had a couch like that in her house and was sometimes inspired to use it as a model!

Of course, we're all aware of Betty Maxey's artistic consistency and continuity when it comes to drawing Uncle Quentin! :wink:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

How exactly are they reading the map with Timmy lying on top of it? :lol: :lol:

Society Member
aminmec
Favourite book/series: Family at RedRoofs , Five go down to the sea
Favourite character: Amelia Jane , Bumpy Dog .

Post by aminmec »

Are all paperback editions of the 70s with Betty Maxey covers available with Eileen Soper interior art option .I have not seen Five get into trouble, Fall into adventure, Hike and Wonderful time (8, 9, 10, 11)with Eileen Soper art .
timv

Post by timv »

As far as I recall. which the notes on who did the interior illustrations for the 1960s editions with the Maxey covers in the Cave back up, all of these had interior illustrations by Betty Maxey. That's certainly my memory of the 1968 Knight edition which was the first one I read - but these Maxey illustrations for the 'middle' Famous Five books did not have the full-on 'trendy' Maxey illustrations of the 1970s editions, with flared trousers for all and a moustachioed 'pop star' Uncle Quentin. But the 1960s Knight edition of the earlier Five books still used the original Soper interior illustrations with the Five wearing 1950s-style blazers - at least as I remember Run Away Together and Smugglers Top.

The main change from the Soper version of illustrations in Trouble, I recall, was to have the boys in modern not longer 1950s shorts and for Richard to have an anorak not a blazer as his coat; in Fall Into Adventure UQ had short hair and glasses and looked like a professor not a hippy and George and Jo had shortish shorts; ; in Hike all the children, Anne included, were wearing jeans. Anne also looked older than she does in the later, 1970s Maxey illustrations (eg Finniston Farm) and had longish hair.
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

From the very first book (1974)

From the very last book (1974)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Awful
Society Member