Hate the modern illustrations in today's Malory Towers books

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
littleguineapig

Hate the modern illustrations in today's Malory Towers books

Post by littleguineapig »

I really hate the modern illustrations in the later reprints of MT books. They are so inauthentic- they show the girls with their hair long and loose when in Enids day it would be bobbed or tied up in plaits. In the Last Term at MT there is a picture of the “fat” Josephine Jones in a bathing costume (a modern high legged one too) looking not fat but like something out of Baywatch. I wish they had kept the old illustrations
littleguineapig

Re: hate the modern illustrations in todays Malory Towers books

Post by littleguineapig »

Oh and I forgot to add that I hate the covers of the new MT and St Clares editions as well. Totally modern and inappropriate. They suck
joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Re: hate the modern illustrations in todays Malory Towers books

Post by joanne_chan »

Somebody in marketing no doubt feels this attracts newer readers although I'd have to say when I was young I always looked for more traditional covers on books such as Enid's simply because they just look right.
I'm not impressed with many of the newer covers too, littlegineapig.
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Re: Hate the modern illustrations in today's Malory Towers books

Post by Poppy »

Which editions do you mean, exactly, littleguineapig?

2006, Egmont.

2009, Dean.

I think the Dean edition is OK; not to modern - just nice, I think. I mut say, however that I think the Egmont ones are awful! I know they have to look appealing to the new generation, but personally, if I didn't know what this book actually was, I certainly wouldn't pick it up...
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I hate the lips on the girls in the Egmont cover - they look as if they are pursed up, and remind me of teenage girls taking photos of themselves in front of their bathroom mirrors while pouting (a pet peeve).

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I see what you mean, Ming. Duck-face. Yuck. I recently accepted the daughter of a cousin on facebook, I think she's about 14 and all she does is post hundreds of pouty-faces :roll:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Ming

Post by Ming »

And all from the same angle and the same red lipstick, I bet!

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Yes, that's certainly a very weak point, of the illustrations, Ming. I think the Egmont covers are very mis-leading, it's certainly not what I'd expect to see on the front cover of a Malory Towers books. The character illustrations always remind of those of the 'BRATZ'. :shock:
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
honesty
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George Kirrin/Julian/Timmy

Post by honesty »

Hate is a harsh word but I agree-the Egmont covers and illustrations are way too modern! I actually like EB's books without illustrations as I can 'paint' a picture in my mind of what's happening...But if they have to put in illustrations, I prefer the originals-
Honesty
“If you can't look after something in your care, you have no right to keep it.”-Enid Blyton
“I think people make their own faces, as they grow.”-Enid Blyton
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Re:

Post by Carlotta King »

I completely agree. The girls on the Egmont version look like they would be texting on their phones in class, chewing gum, cheeking the teachers and probably wearing high heels!

Malory Towers isn't anything like that and they could have made the covers bright and appealing without making them so modern and 'tacky' for want of a better word.

Like Poppy said, if I didnt know what it was, I wouldn't bother to look at it, it just looks like another silly book about modern bratty schoolgirls who live on facebook. Yuck.

I went to school in the 80s and 90s so I can hardly claim to have been educated in the 'good old days' but I love reading about school life back then and wish I had been a schoolgirl then!!

From what I see and hear of school today, its like another world (and not a very nice one at that!!) compared even to 1990 when I was a pupil.
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Re:

Post by Carlotta King »

I have a feeling that if the awful modern facebook photo-in-mirror generation girls picked up this book because they thought the cover looked 'cool' and was about modern 'cool' schoolgirls, they would have a shock because they would probably be expecting it to be all about boys and catty girls etc etc, I can't imagine them wanting to read a proper, fun, wholesome and traditionally nice book about 1940s schoolgirls!
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

On the other hand perhaps the only redeeming point about the awful covers is that modern girls might read and enjoy these stories! That many do is obvious from the continuing editions which keep appearing.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Ming

Re: Re:

Post by Ming »

Carlotta King wrote:I have a feeling that if the awful modern facebook photo-in-mirror generation girls picked up this book because they thought the cover looked 'cool' and was about modern 'cool' schoolgirls, they would have a shock because they would probably be expecting it to be all about boys and catty girls etc etc, I can't imagine them wanting to read a proper, fun, wholesome and traditionally nice book about 1940s schoolgirls!
Or maybe they'll have a pleasant surprise and find themselves enjoying a book written about nicer girls. :)

Society Member
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

I have the Egmont editions. *huffs* By the way, I did not get them by choice, my parents got them for me.
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I had a feeling that these covers were not taken from Malory Towers at all, but from another series. Am I correct, or have I lost the plot again?
Society Member