Noddy Book 11. Illustrator Mary Brooks.

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
Moonraker

Re: Noddy Book 11. Illustrator Mary Brooks.

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Today I had a look in my local WH Smith and, surprisingly, that had a much better Enid Blyton section than Foyle's.
Smith's certainly do Enid proud. Most of their shops have a huge selection, usually in a dedicated shelves display, complete with cardboard displays.
Society Member
stella day

Post by stella day »

Thanks for looking at all those Noddy books on my behalf. It would appear that the bear was never used. Now I am wondering, if I were to have the illustration re-framed, whether I'd lift the paper overlay and reveal the golly or just leave it. I think I'd prefer to see the golly!
Maureen1954
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: All of the Famous Five

Post by Maureen1954 »

Hi Stella!!
Welcome to the Forums!! You will have a great time here!! I joined the Forums and the Society just recently,the people on here have a vast knowledge of Enid Blyton and we all learn from each other.

I just went on a hunt for the book you are talking about and found an earlier edition circa 1970 I think as the publishers are Sampson Low, Marston & Co. Ltd, Denis Dobson and in Very Good condition with no inscriptions etc etc ,with the dustjacket and a milar sleeve,like the one Tony has listed in the " Cave of Books " .. and found it for sale on Ebay at a very low price.

I will scan the book and post on here when it arrives to compare with the other illustrations that are mentioned

Cheers & Gingerbeers

Maureen
Famous Five Forever!!!
stella day

Post by stella day »

Thanks Maureen but I'm pretty sure you'll find it's a golly. I sent messages to a lot of ebay sellers asking which character appeared. It seems it was the golly until about 1987 and then the monkey. Enjoy your copy. :D
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I think I have the answer for you, Stella, and I am sorry I didn't notice it before. Your bear just doesn't belong in the books. The one in the books is Mr Tubby Bear and he is already in the picture, almost next door to the addition. You will see that the eyes on the additional bear are all wrong and Mary Cooper would have been asked to do it using another character, hence Mr Marvel Monkey. So your bear was never used.

On a separate note I went into our local Waterstone's yesterday and there wasn't a single Noddy book in there. I have never been one of Noddy's strongest fans, but it would be very sad if the Noddy copyright being bought by an American company means that from a book point of view it becomes, Noddy RIP!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Maybe Anita could take up the little nodding-man's cause? :twisted:
Society Member
stella day

Post by stella day »

I have liberated the Golly. Isn't he lovely!