Noddy Book 11. Illustrator Mary Brooks.

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
stella day

Noddy Book 11. Illustrator Mary Brooks.

Post by stella day »

Hello everyone, I'm new here and pleased to have joined the Society. I read many Enid Blyton stories as a child but Noddy was a clear favourite and I have bought some original illustrations by Beek from the Big Noddy Book and one by Mary Brooks (from Noddy Book 11) via ebay. I have a query regarding Noddy Book 11 (Noddy Meets Father Christmas) which was illustrated by Mary Brooks. The illustration I bought is of page 23.Image

To the left of the picture, behind the policemen and next to the pink cat there is a teddy. On close inspection you can see that the cat image is a small paper overlay and underneath is the golly. However in the copies of this book that I have there is either a golly or a monkey in this place. Does anyone know if this teddy image was ever used and if so which edition/reprint should I be looking for?
If anyone has a copy showing the teddy I'd be thrilled to see a scan of it.
Tony Summerfield

Re: Noddy Book 11. Illustrator Mary Brooks.

Post by Tony Summerfield »

This was done in the late 1980s, Stella, when they decided to remove the gollies. So every edition of that book since then would have the teddy. They always left as much of the original illustration as possible, but the illustrator Mary Cooper was employed to 'sanitise' any necessary parts of the original, which in this case was by Mary Brooks.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

That's interesting, Stella and Tony. I see that Mary Cooper missed the other golly towards the top right hand corner! I've checked my copy of Noddy Meets Father Christmas and it has the original golly next to the pink cat - not a monkey or a teddy.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Ethnic Cleansing in Toyland, eh? I wonder what happened to the golliwogs. Would they have been repatriated or, Heaven forbid, been part of a genocide programme. :|
Society Member
stella day

Post by stella day »

Thanks Tony. But I can't find a copy of the book with the teddy. Only with the golly or the monkey. Perhaps the teddy was never used?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Maybe the teddy was discarded because someone felt it looked too much like Rupert Bear, with its red top and yellow checked scarf/tie (which were what the golliwog happened to be wearing).

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I have just checked out the 1st edition and she has actually missed two other gollies as there is one just showing in the bottom right corner behind the policeman!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Ah yes - I love those two jolly gollies popping their heads cheekily into the picture and refusing to be erased! :lol: I wonder whether they're still there in the current printing?

Society Member
stella day

Post by stella day »

The one at the top of the picture has been replaced by balloons. The sliver of golly bottom-right still remains.
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

I suggest we do not let them know! It will a small victory for golly liberation.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Lets form a "Golly Liberation Front". :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Glad to see the Golliwog Resistance Movement is still alive!

This is quite interesting.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Lucky Star wrote: Lets form a "Golly Liberation Front". :lol:
Can anyone think of an organisation the letters G O L L Y could stand for, one of the 'L's could be Liberation.

Nigel, I found the article you posted very interesting. I thought the idea of pinning a Golly badge on for every Arab killed was quite appalling. I must be quite unobservant though, I'm familar with the Ten Little N........ rhyme but never associated it with killing black people though. I thought it was just a nursery rhyme to help children learn how to count backwards, in a similar way to 'There were 10 in the Bed'.

I do wish though that critics of Enid Blyton wouldn't focus on the negative Gollys featured in her books, I've read the 3 Golliwogs, and most of the stories could be about 3 people of any type, in fact it's been reissued as the 3 Pixies or something similar. Also, although there was a Golly who stole Noddy's car, wasn't Mr. Golly the local car mechanic - surely a skilled and highly useful member of the local community? I seem to recall that the Golly in the Amelia Jane books was also portrayed as brave.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

stella day wrote:The one at the top of the picture has been replaced by balloons. The sliver of golly bottom-right still remains.
Thanks for that, Stella. Tony and I went in search of that book in Foyle's in Charing Cross Road on Saturday, but disappointingly Foyle's only had two Noddy Library books in stock, mere paperbacks at that, and Noddy Meets Father Christmas wasn't one of them (even though there were a lot of other Christmas-themed books on display).

Today I had a look in my local WH Smith and, surprisingly, that had a much better Enid Blyton section than Foyle's. Noddy was still scarce though, with only four Noddy Library titles in stock (hardbacks this time), and again Noddy Meets Father Christmas wasn't among them.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Having drawn a blank in all bookshops (Noddy books are few and far between now) I checked out my own supplies. It would seem that I have exactly the same results as you, Stella. I have a 1996 edition which has Mr Marvel Monkey under the hat and my other editions all have a golly, so perhaps Mr Tubby Bear was never used. It may be the hat that did it, as I can't remember seeing Mr Tubby Bear in a top hat, whilst Mr Marvel Monkey always had one. The golly at the back of the picture has been turned into a balloon!