Re-release of the Famous Five Books

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
blytonmadcat

Post by blytonmadcat »

Should the 21 books in the famous Five series be re-released with dust jackets exctly the same as the first issues?
HeatherS
Favourite book/series: Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by HeatherS »

I don't think they should have the exact same covers as it could detract from the wonderful nostalgic feeling you get when you pick up an original edition with a dust jacket. I think the modified centenary editions were beautiful though, and they gave a feeling for the original books without being identical.
Heather
"Have you held your breath in wonder, at the sky so dark and deep?" - Enid Blyton
http://www.heathersblytonpages.com/
Ali

Post by Ali »

If the books have the original text with no publishers editing and changing of names etc so they are reproduced as they would have been, I think it would be wonderful to have new hardback editions with dustjackets with the original illustrations.

I have always loved the illustrations and the feel of a quality hardback book makes reading enjoyable, besides I would probably buy several of my favourites and just frame the covers! LOL Pure nostalgia
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

[Ali:] "If the books have the original text with no publishers editing and changing of names etc so they are reproduced as they would have been, I think it would be wonderful to have new hardback editions with dustjackets with the original illustrations."

I'd like that too. They would have to contain the original text though, as you said. I want to know what Enid Blyton wrote - not what editors think she ought to have written! It annoys me that the Famous Five paperbacks I've had since childhood have been meddled with - the Five wear jeans in some stories (well, except Timmy of course!) and even the King has changed sex!

Anita
Tony Summerfield

Famous Five Books

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Should the books be re-released with the original dustwrappers? Interesting question, but have a look at the recent history and make your mind up. In 1992 Five on a Treasure Island was re-released as a facsimile to mark the 50th anniversary. The front and spine of the dustwrapper were okay the flaps and back had nothing to do with the original book - the back was actually taken from a late reprint.

In 1997 Hodders issued the centenary edition. These were advertised as facsimiles of the originals. Apart from being paperbacks externally they didn't even resemble the originals - some of the first 8 didn't even have the original cover illustration. I complained about this to Hodders at the time and they replied that they could only use copies that they had in their archives and many of these were later reprints.

My own particular favourite here was Five Go to Demon's Rocks - they didn't have a copy at all in their archives and asked to borrow my first edition. After repeated enquiries I finally got it back about six months later. The dustwrapper was missing and many of the illustrations had been 'improved' with a blue crayon!!!! After further phone calls my dustwrapper was returned neatly folded in all the wrong places. It got even funnier when the book was published with the cover of Five Go Off in a Caravan and the description on the back was also from this book.

Having waited for collectors to buy sets of these paperbacks, a few months later Hodders published the whole set as hardbacks - presumably with the intention of making collectors fork out again!!

Personally I don't think re-releasing them would be a good idea as it would devalue the first editions. I am probably biased here as I have a complete set of first editions all but two of which cost under £10 when I bought them (those were the days!) - one of which as you have probably guessed was a replacement for Demon's Rocks!!

Best wishes
Tony
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: re release of the famous five books

Post by pete9012S »

The complete Agatha Christie hardbacks have been reproduced in original facsimile editions (except for one obvious title).

How I wish they would do the same with The Famous Five Soper Hodder hardbacks and also Maxey Knight paperback editions.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Re: Re-release of the Famous Five Books

Post by Jack400 »

I seem to remember that there were some hardback reprints (original text/style)? Some years ago. Whether they were really 'original' text or not I can't be sure.
I have seen DVDs that, on the surface, were original, as broadcast, but, were in fact censored. The Comic Strip presents (The Daily Telegraph free give-away comedy/ parody of the FF some years ago) had a scene missing. (The one where, inside a tent, George makes kissing noises and Anne says "George don't do that with Timmy- you know it isn't healthy).
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Jack400 wrote:I seem to remember that there were some hardback reprints (original text/style)? Some years ago. Whether they were really 'original' text or not I can't be sure.
I remember looking at those in the shops, only to find that the text was quite heavily edited. Also, some titles didn't have a first edition cover - they had a later design instead.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Thanks for the info, Anita. I only saw them available by post so very pleased that I didn't purchase them. :D :shock:
Society Member