Who are the definitive illustrators for each series/book?

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Re: Who are the definitive illlustrators for each series/book?

Post by MJE »

Fiona1986 wrote:You can find Blyton illustrators here along with some samples of their work.

It's already taken Tony a long time and a lot of work to add first edition images from the major series, it would take ten times as long to add illustrations by every different artist from the same books.
     Thanks for that link, Fiona.
     By the way, I appreciate what Tony does on the site, and there is lots of useful detail there; and I was not intending to imply any reproach for there not being more illustrations. I was simply asking if there were other sites which did include several different illustrators; there have been sites in the past that had lots of illustrations, but I don't recall where they are now, or even whether they still exist (having lost track of various things in the last few years that I used to keep track of).
     I will check out that link and take a look.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

One of the problems with the illustrations on Heather's site is that she didn't own the books, but took the illustrations off the internet, so many are of a very poor quality. Most of the Blyton ones are taken from this website anyway and Heather did ask my permission first. I often see my scans on other websites when no permission has been asked at all - for example Blyton Books (run by Stella Books) uses a number of my scans and I have generously put them on our links page! :roll:
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Going back to the Western Australian article by Colin Clews, 'Noddy: The Last Hurrah', it implies that Robert Tyndall took over straight from Beek in 1953, and that he was the only illustrator who worked on Noddy for years:

'Robert Tyndall is the man who drew Noddy.

From 1953 until 1968 he worked tirelessly to illustrate the prodigious output of Enid Blyton. As well as Noddy books there was also a weekly cartoon strip, illustrations for Noddy products and endorsements, and set designs for a Noddy pantomime. If Blyton wanted it drawn, Tyndall drew it. There were no exclusion clauses in his contract.

He was not the first person to draw the character. That honour fell to Dutch artist Harmsen Van Der Beek in 1949...

...But Van Der Beek's health began to fail shortly after he began work on Noddy and he died in 1953. Tyndall still wonders whether the pressure of work contributed to his death.

"There was an enormous amount of work to do," he says. "Noddy was extremely popular and it was necessary to work very long hours to keep up with the demand."

As Van Der Beek became increasingly unwell Blyton's publishers started to look around for a replacement. They chose Tyndall because they had seen some posters he had drawn promoting coach tours in Britain. He had adopted a particularly colourful style and the publishers felt that it was sufficiently similar to Van Der Beek's to warrant giving him the job.

Tyndall was 23 years old at the time. His age and the fact that he had a young family to support ensured that he kept up with the demands of the job. Even his agent had advised him "Behave yourself and you could do very well."

Behaving himself meant doing as he was told. Every week he would be sent copy from Enid Blyton and he would dutifully illustrate it and return it.

As well as illustrating her stories he would also design everything from Noddy eggcups and slippers through to promotional material and snow domes. When Noddy's face was to appear on cereal packets, biscuit boxes and other products Tyndall was expected to draw that too.'

A glance at the Cave shows that there were in fact a number of Noddy artists, including Peter Wienk, Mary Brooks, Robert Lee and Charles Seez. Robert Tyndall was of course a major illustrator, but Peter Wienk was another. According to Tony Summerfield's article in Journal 20, 'A Nod is as Good as a Wienk', Sampson Low approached Wienk and another Dutchman (Martin Toonder) after Beek died and asked them to provide sample artwork for an upcoming Noddy book. Their drawings were assessed by Sampson Low and Enid Blyton, and Wienk got the contract because his illustrations resembled Beek's - hardly surprising, as he had actually worked with Beek on Noddy artwork from the very first book. Wienk's wife helped her husband with the illustrations following Beek's death.
Anita Bensoussane wrote:I don't think I'd heard before about Robert Maxwell owning Noddy.
I've since remembered that Robert Maxwell owned Macdonald/Purnell, who published the Noddy books (in abridged versions, I believe) with covers and illustrations by Edgar Hodges, in the mid/late 1980s.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

aminmec wrote:
georgina 37 wrote:i started illustrating enid blyton books in 1981. i illustrated 12 books,4 de luxe editions in full colour.
georgina hargreaves
Interesting to hear that you were an artist . Which books did you draw and who was the publisher and what dates were the books from ?
Here are some of the books illustrated by Georgina Hargreaves:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/sear ... hargreaves" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you look at the reprint covers for The Magic Faraway Tree, The Folk of the Faraway Tree and the two Wishing-Chair books you'll see Georgina's magnificent covers for the deluxe editions (full-colour, annual-sized books published by Dean). Georgina also did the internal illustrations.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Sally
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series, Barney Rs and Find-Outers
Favourite character: Barney, Philip Mannering, Fatty and Bill Smugs

Re: Who are the definitive illustrators for each series/book?

Post by Sally »

I was just thinking that the wonderful illustrators of the series know so well - Stuart Tresillian of the Adventure Series, Eileen Soper of the Famous Five and Gilbert Dunlop of the Barney Mysteries (the Mystery Series had a number of illustators who presented the characters in different ways which was disappointing) created the image of the characters we learned to love an recognise. I would love to see them "aged up" to see how the characters looked, at say 25 and also 50ish. I am sure it could be done graphically. Any fans out there who could do this?
70s-child
Favourite book/series: Adv. series, Barney series, St. Clare's, FFO
Favourite character: Snubby, Loony, Susie, Dinah, Jack Trent, Fatty

Post by 70s-child »

Sally wrote: I would love to see them "aged up" to see how the characters looked, at say 25 and also 50ish. I am sure it could be done graphically. Any fans out there who could do this?
You can do that with actual photographs of real people, not with line drawings. In any case, there is a lot of variation in the way the Adventure series' characters were drawn over the life of the series.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Maybe they all died on their next adventure?
Society Member
70s-child
Favourite book/series: Adv. series, Barney series, St. Clare's, FFO
Favourite character: Snubby, Loony, Susie, Dinah, Jack Trent, Fatty

Post by 70s-child »

You never know! :wink: :shock:
Society Member
simonb

Post by simonb »

I think it would be wise to check facts before posting about definative ilustrators for Noddy
and Despite Mr Tyndalls claims to have ilustrated Noddy after Beeks Death
I have documented proof that my Father in Law Peter Wienk whom worked At Beeks Studio from book one onwards was the Artist who was commisioned By Samson low to continue illustrating Noddy
and continued to do so up untill 1970 .

This is based on Contracts and Correspondence from Samson Low , and Enid blyton
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

simonb wrote:I think it would be wise to check facts before posting about definative ilustrators for Noddy
and Despite Mr Tyndalls claims to have ilustrated Noddy after Beeks Death
I have documented proof that my Father in Law Peter Wienk whom worked At Beeks Studio from book one onwards was the Artist who was commisioned By Samson low to continue illustrating Noddy
and continued to do so up untill 1970 .

This is based on Contracts and Correspondence from Samson Low , and Enid blyton
I believe Anita has already raised this point?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
georgina 37
Favourite book/series: The Magic Faraway Tree
Favourite character: Dame Slap

Post by georgina 37 »

I started illusrating 1981. I ilustated the Magic Faraway Tree,The Folk of the Faraway Tree,Adventures of the Wishing Chair,The Wishing Chair Again and two cassette books for the very young.publisher Dean and son.

For World International Publishers ltd, The Swallow Fairy,The Witch`s Cat,The Seven Crosspatches and Whiskers for the Cat.

For Award Publishers,in 1996 The Little Witch-Dog and The Little Green Imp.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

And we look forward to seeing you in action in four day time, Georgina! :lol:
georgina 37

Post by georgina 37 »

aminmec wrote:
MJE wrote:Does anyone know of web sites that include sample illustrations ....
I doubt there would be much of such information available .One option is would be to pick up a copy of one book of a particular edition and check out so you will understand what illustrations the other books of the series will be having .( However if I am not wrong ,in some cases there are different artists for one series of matching set of books ).
georgina 37 wrote:i started illustrating enid blyton books in 1981. i illustrated 12 books,4 de luxe editions in full colour.
georgina hargreaves
Interesting to hear that you were an artist . Which books did you draw and who was the publisher and what dates were the books from ?
i still am an artist,i painted my illustrations.my work was passed from publisher to publisher from the 70s to december 2012.the latest book to be reprinted was ,the magic faraway tree. :roll:
georgina 37

Post by georgina 37 »

the magic faraway tree was reprinted 2011 by dean,egmont publishers.
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Georgina, my wife keeps your drawing from the E.B. day in pride
of place - many thanks for your time and generosity.

By the way were you ever known as George for short?! We will be looking
for your illustrated versions of the books from now on.
Society Member