Sylvia Venus

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
Bob

Sylvia Venus

Post by Bob »

Hi all

I'm wondering if anyone can help. I am trying to track down the illustrations done by Sylvia Venus. She was me wife' great aunt and died only recently. The family are keen to try and track down any examples of the original artwork that might possibly exist, although this is purely for personal reasons as we do not think it worth a great deal of money. My mother-in-law Pamela Venus is also a childrens book illustrator and my wife and her sister are also both illustrators and so keeping the family tradition alive. Thet are hoping that some of the artwork might still exist for sentimental reasons and know that a lot was stored with Newnes Publishing but fear this would have long ago been destroyed. Can anyone help
Tony Summerfield

Sylvia Venus

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Hello Bob,
A few years back Tony Venus (your father in law or Uncle in law?) wrote a two-part article on Sylvia Venus for our Journal shortly after her death. He sent me photocopies of some of the artwork that the family own, but the only Blyton artwork he had was a rough of a cover for an Amelia Jane book. I'm afraid that all of the actual artwork would have been kept by Newnes and I'm also fairly sure that you are right and that they would have destroyed it - in those days once it had served its purpose sadly they saw little further value in it.

Best wishes
Tony
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Sylvia Venus

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Bob wrote:I am trying to track down the illustrations done by Sylvia Venus. She was me wife' great aunt and died only recently...My mother-in-law Pamela Venus is also a childrens book illustrator and my wife and her sister are also both illustrators and so keeping the family tradition alive.
I had forgotten about this thread until someone mentioned it on the Message Board. Interestingly, I have an Enid Blyton book which is beautifully-illustrated by Pamela Venus - a 1990s copy of The Wishing Carpet published by Parragon. Ever since I found the book in a charity shop I've wondered whether Pamela was a relative of Sylvia Venus, and now I know! I see from the Cave that she illustrated a couple of other Parragon books too.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
joolsblackwell

Post by joolsblackwell »

I have a picture on wood by Sylvia Venus - currently for sale on eBay - item number 250399283797. It is quite charming and entitled, 'Stepping Stones'. This may be of interest to you.

Julie Blackwell 2nd April 2009
lesley.jean

Post by lesley.jean »

Hi Bob
I don't know if you are still looking for information about Sylvia I Venus but here is some of her work. Enid Blyton books :-Boys & Girls Story Books , The Second Holiday Book 1947 , Sunny Stories , Enid Blyton's Magazines & Amelia Jane Books (c1945-1959) . Also Down By the Sea Father Tuck's "Welcome Gift " series, Father Tuck's Annual For Little People With "Come To Life Pictures" 1931 , Blackie's Little Ones Annual 1925 (+other works for Blackie ) , Our Darlings pub by John F Shaw 1928 (+other Our Darlings -don't know the dates ), The Wonderland Annual 1925 , Tales Of Merry Town Univ Of London Supplementary Reader , Our Kiddies Fairy Star pub by Renwick Of Otley & The Child's Own Annual (91st ,94th ,95th ,96th annual volumes .She also illustrated a series of Magic Paint books for Renwick Of Otley but these are not signed or credited . I have Magic Paint no19 book & the original painting for the cover but it is not for sale as I love it . On abebooks.co.uk at the present time there is a party invitation she illustrated for sale (unusual item) . Hope this helps you .
Should anyone be looking for the work of Hilda MacGavin ,I have 2 boards with 7 drawings on & signed by her for Sunny Stories .They are for sale .
Regards
Lesley
ozkoz

Post by ozkoz »

There's a pretty watercolour by Sylvia Ismay Venus for sale on ebay now, ending on 2nd May, 2011 - its number is
150595658106. Good luck.