Eileen Soper or Betty Maxey?

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
Lawrie
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Find-Outers, Malory Towers
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy, Alicia, Fatty and Bets

Re: Eileen Soper or Betty Maxey?

Post by Lawrie »

I love Julian vs Pa Stick too! This is one of my favourite Fives. I much prefer Soper's depiction of George; there is a very upright energy about her which complements her characterization beautifully, Maxey's George seems to slope around rather languidly - not my idea of George!
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Five Have Plenty Of Fun v Five Have Plenty Of Fun

H&S fourth impression 1959 v Knight paperback 10th impression 1976

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 416&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Which Eileen Soper dustwrappers do people rate the highest? I always liked the 'Kirrin
Island again' with the wrong end of the telescope!
Society Member
Lawrie
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Find-Outers, Malory Towers
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy, Alicia, Fatty and Bets

Post by Lawrie »

I like that one too Francis! I've just been looking at my Fives, which all have Soper dustwrappers though not always the first edition ones, and it struck me how dark and gloomy a lot of them are. Probably this is because they are illustrating a dramatic point in the plot, often at night or underground, but I have always preferred the brighter jackets, especially those with the sea on them. My favourites, as well as Five on Kirrin Island Again, are Five Have Plenty of Fun (my avatar, though I couldn't manage to get all of it to fit in), Five go to Demon's Rocks - not one of my favourite books mind you - and Five Get Into a Fix which is just so different with its snow scene. I think in cases where Soper has redone the dustwrappers they have tended to be darker, for example Five On Kirrin Island Again; perhaps to highlight that these are exciting, dramatic books, and to make them appear more grown-up?
I've never seen the Maxey illustrations for Five Have Plenty of Fun - I cannot like Anne's smock! Seeing them side by side with Soper they really do come off badly in my opinion. Maxey's Five seem to stand rather awkwardly, as though they're posing for a photograph, and neither Julian nor George seem to have the force of character that Soper shows in them. Also - George's bed appears enormous in the picture where Berta is being ushered into the bedroom wrapped in shawls, Timmy isn't so much lying on her feet as having a whole side to himself! Maxey is good at very pretty, feminine girls though, with all that long curly hair, whereas some of Soper's female characters can look rather mannish. Interestingly, I like many of the Maxey covers very much - I think that for me she and Soper may be more neck and neck here than in the internal illustrations. I'm really enjoying this Pete, thanks :D
Moonraker

Re: Bloggin' Pete?

Post by Moonraker »

pete9012S wrote:Five Have Plenty Of Fun v Five Have Plenty Of Fun
Ever thought of starting a Blog, Pete? :wink:
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Not sure what's my favourite but for the books that have a different Soper dustjacket on the second editions, I prefer those to the originals usually.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Five on Kirrin Island Again v Five on A Kirrin Island Again

11th impression Knight paperback v Hodder & Stoughton 1951 5th impression

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 416&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by pete9012S on 19 Jan 2013, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

That is not a very good link, Pete, as it doesn't work. Just for the record, there is no such title as 'Five on a Treasure Island Again'! :lol:
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks Tony,as I typed the title I thought it sounded a bit odd,but didn't re-check! :roll:

The link posted does work- you just have to be one of my facebook 'friends' to view them ,as I have recently changed my facebook privacy settings.

If you send me a facebook friend request,you will then be added as a friend and be able to see all the scans etc....

Best Wishes

Pete

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Ah that explains that, I was just doing my moderator duties as Anita has got a well-deserved day off. Perhaps a Facebook link isn't a very good idea on the forums if it is only available to your friends!

I am not very active on Facebook I'm afraid, I have a number of 'Friends Requests' sitting on my page and I haven't got any idea who most of them are! One of these requests is from Roald Dahl, very flattering if it wasn't for the fact that he died quite a while ago!! If anybody reading this answers to the name of Lucy Ann on Facebook and wants to tell me their real name I will probably accept them!
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Roald Dahl eh? Amazing how far modern technology has progressed!

Anita having a day off? Tut, tut :wink: I hope she's doing something nice. :D
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

@Tony re your last comments.I have set the access to the Betty Maxey/Eileen Soper pics to public,meaning that everyone can now see them.

I thought these comparison pics would find a better home on facebook as I'm sure you and a few others wouldn't want an overload of Betty Maxey pics on this thread! :wink:

Society Member
honesty
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George Kirrin/Julian/Timmy

Post by honesty »

Eileen Soper has always been very original and more realistic than Betty Maxey (for some reason!!)
“If you can't look after something in your care, you have no right to keep it.”-Enid Blyton
“I think people make their own faces, as they grow.”-Enid Blyton
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Eileen Soper is the best illustrator--Betty Maxey's illustrations are not good at all.At least I don't like them.
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Perhaps Betty Maxey's illustrations are not as good as Eileen Soper's but I don't think it is fair to state they're no good at all. Their style of drawing are quite different and in ways I think Betty Maxey's pictures are the better ones, but in other ways Eileen Soper is better. Eileen Soper will always be my favourite of the two, however, as her drawings are so unique and interesting to see.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member