Eileen Soper's Illustrated Worlds (was E B Story Centre)

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Eileen Soper's Illustrated Worlds (was E B Story Centre)

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Aussie Sue wrote:
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/9 ... s_the_axe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Viv, I am so sorry to read this after all your passion and hard work. A very sad day.
I'm sorry to hear that Eileen Soper's Illustrated Worlds is closing, Viv. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to you a couple of years ago, and if I'd had the chance to visit an attraction like that as a child I'd have been thrilled to bits. An very imaginative venture, and it's a terrible shame to see it go.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Sorry to hear this news, Viv. Does this mean you have to close almost immediately? At least you gave this venture a good go, and I think if we weren't in such a ressession your venture would remain. Well done for giving it a go, you should feel proud of yourself. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I'm also very sorry to hear the sad news, Viv. :cry: Eileen Soper's Illustrated Worlds is a wonderful attraction that I thoroughly enjoyed visiting in May last year. Good luck with any future ventures! :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Thank goodness I visited it - Viv did a wonderful job.
Unfortunately I had to rely on a coach trip and they
do not happen very often. At least I will be going
to the Ginger Pop shop in a few weeks (another coach trip!).
Society Member
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

Is it going to close within a year? Is the shop going with it? I desperately want to go! Save Eileen Soper's Illustrated World!
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

How terribly sad. So sorry Viv. You deserve better. :(
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I'm terribly sorry to hear this Viv. As others have said you gave it your best shot and did a fantastic job; just a pity the economic climate was not favourable. At least you followed your dream and made it come true if only for a short while.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

A real shame, Viv. By all accounts it seems a great place.

I was hoping to come and see the place if I ever make it down to Corfe (Stef and I have talked about going together maybe next year). We'll just have to make do with the Castle, and of course the Ginger-Pop Shop.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

I'm sorry to hear the news, Viv. Sadly I've never been close enough to come and visit and now won't get the opportunity. It's a sad day for all Blyton/Soper lovers everywhere as the shop must be unique. :(
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
poddys
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five

Post by poddys »

So sad to hear the news Viv. This is a wonderful attraction for Poole, a shame that they can't see it.

Hopefully they will help to find a new location and to do more (or at least something) to promote it, and EIleen Soper's Illustrated Worlds will live on.
I went on some great adventures reading the Famous Five books.
Enid Blyton Creator of The Famous Five
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Brief reply - and thanks for kind messages -

What really annoys me is that according to Trip Advisor we are the second best thing to do in Poole, and in the top 10% of things to do in the whole of Dorset, but quality and quirkiness don't seem to matter....

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction ... gland.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I put huge effort into the Famous Five Adventure Trail, but the whole thing almost fell apart with Chorion in meltdown, and numerous staff changes both at Hodder and National Trust. I pulled it off, but whilst the publicity was supposed to be in place a year ago and the project ready to roll by February, I was still being asked to re-write the thing in April!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ginger-P ... 0732116078" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We intend to keep Poole open to 5th November so that people can finish the Trail

I'm not happy with the National Trust at Corfe at the moment, and won't be doing events for them next year.

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
poddys

Post by poddys »

Such a shame after all that hard work you put in Viv, and with Enid Blyton getting more popular again lately too.

I hope something good comes of this. I wonder if it's worth petitioning Poole Borough Council or something similar to stimulate public interest.

Certainly advertising Dorset as The Jurassic Coast has worked wonders for tourism. Advertising the Purbecks as Enid Blyton Country you would think could make a difference.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

poddys wrote: I wonder if it's worth petitioning Poole Borough Council or something similar to stimulate public interest
It's not a case of that,Poddys. I think it's more the case of if enough punters had come through the doors of Viv's shop, then she could have renewed her lease. If the lease ends and the current owner doesn't renew then it goes up for sale again, as it has done in this case. This is what Viv was explaining to me a while back now, so opologies Viv, if I've got the senario incorrect! It's not a case of Viv isn't wanted in Poole, resession is still onging no matter what this government keeps trying to tell us, and shop keepers all over are suffering.
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
poddys

Post by poddys »

Very true Julie, and I think the combination of Poole not promoting this as well as it could, plus the awful weather this summer has not helped.

There are already a lot of places to eat on Poole Quay, including the pubs that have been there for donkeys years as well as other newer restaurants, but at the end of the day money rules unfortunately.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

There is still time to complete the Famous Five Adventure Trail 2012 – entries must be posted by 5pm on 5th November and the prizes are worth winning!

The Ginger Pop Shop at Poole will close for good on Sunday 2nd December

Eileen Soper’s Illustrated Worlds will close for good on Sunday 18th November.

The Ginger Pop Shop at Corfe Castle will be open every day until Monday 5th November and for the rest of November it will be open at weekends. Christmas closing is 24 – 25 – 26. It will also be closed on Fridays in December apart from Friday 28 December. It will close on Sunday 6th January for the rest of the month.

There are no plans for any events in 2013.

It has been a terrible year for everyone on Poole Quay – but at least I have the satisfaction of being rated above Sandbanks on Trip Advisor!

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction ... gland.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Viv Endecott
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017