Eileen Soper's Illustrated Worlds (was E B Story Centre)

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Eileen Soper's Illustrated Worlds (was E B Story Centre)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Over the last 18 months I have been working on the idea of a world class, year round, tourist attraction for EB. Not a museum as such (there is nothing more boring to a child than a book in a glass case...) but something that will bring the books to life.

It now looks 95% certain that The Enid Blyton Story Centre will open on Poole Quay in June. Gulp

The building is a disused pub, which was converted 5 years ago to an Art Gallery that was only open for one season. All the internal pub layout has been stripped out, so there is a large open plan area with a couple of stud wall galleries - all of which my designers can work with.

I have asked G@K to paste up a photo. It is adjacent to Poole Pottery, opposite the multistory car park, and 50 yards from the Brownsea Ferries.

It is bigger than it seems at first glance, because beyond the Victorian pub is a large extension, making the building ground floor 3,000 sq ft. At first glance of the picture, it looks like a garage door at the right hand end. In fact this is a roller security door, and posh disabled access. When the door is raised and you walk in, there are glass walls to your left and right, and glass sliding doors 3 yards in front of you. There is an 2 foot gap between the right glass wall and the real wall, and the suggestion is to install a diorama of familiar characters, some of which will appear to be bursting out of the wall.

The shop and ticket office will be in the front 1/6 of the building. We are playing with the idea that your ticket will include a password of the day, and the entrance to the exhibition will be through the SS shed. There will be a keypad on the shed, and you have to type in the password to gain access - so no shouting out!

The next bit of the exhibition will be a bit about 1940s & 50s, and the entrance to the Secret Passage. I had the design team down last week, and I'd very much welcome suggestions and comments. I want this to be the best I can! We are thinking that the passage will start in a domestic setting, and come out in The Enchanted Wood, with all sorts of interesting things to see on the way. About 12m long, probably big enough for adults, but to make it exciting with a rough floor it may not be wheelchair friendly

I've looked through the threads about tunnels and passages, and at this stage I think the most practical entrance would be a Kirrin Farm style bedroom cupboard (or Sootys bedroom cupboard in S Top). At capacity, the centre may get 100 visitors an hour, so a sort of double door arrangement would make it a bit more secret!

What would YOU want from a pseudo-secret passage?

All suggestions welcome!

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
George@Kirrin

Re: Enid Blyton Story Centre

Post by George@Kirrin »

The building in question
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

This all sounds very exciting Viv, with pass words to enter. The 40's& 50's room is very appealing, if you knew what the interior of Green Hedges was like, you could make it as the interior of Green Hedges. I wish you a lot of luck in getting this project off the ground.

The only quibble I would have, is that you say it may not be 'wheel chair' friendly. That's something I think you should reconsider, Viv. There are a lot of children in wheel chairs, and why should they be excluded. (And you have to consider the disability access act) They may love Enid Blyton as much as an able bodied child. Also, a family may have a baby or toddler in a push chair.

Pool Quay is a lovely area, and I'm sure the visitors will hopefully flood through the doors.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote:What would YOU want from a pseudo-secret passage?
Oooh - maybe buttons to press in order to uncover secrets, sliding panels/stones and that kind of thing. Stalactites and stalagmites, cobwebs, a treasure chest, a mysterious-looking pool off to one side, and a bit where you have to crawl to get through. Hologram images and sound effects could perhaps be used to give an impression of flying bats etc - don't know how practical that would be or what it would cost.

Regarding access for users of wheelchairs, pushchairs, etc, I wonder if there would be room to have a double secret passage with one route for those that like a challenge (narrow, twisty, rough and hard to negotiate) and an alternative route for those that require a wider, smoother path?

Is there an outside area, Viv? A maze might be fun to have.

Let us know how things go.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

It sounds lovely. Although I liked 'books in glass cases' museums when I was a child. Still do :D I love the Old Manor House type secret passages in the Barney mysteries, something Elizabethan and shabby would be my choice. Agree about wheelchair access - could you have an alternate entrance for the claustrophobic, those in wheelchairs etc - a Whyteleafe school corridor or something like that?
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

It sounds great, Viv. What a great idea!

I'd simply love to attend this. It's wishful thinking, but we can dream!

Hope it will cause a lot more interest in Blyton.
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

What a brilliant idea, Viv. Chick and I will certainly be making our way towards Poole Quay this summer. We already have plans to return to Corfe Castle (and to pop into your shop again) and to visit other parts of beautiful Dorset. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop

Anita Bensoussane wrote: and a bit where you have to crawl to get through.
The centre will be wheelchair friendly in the way that Corfe Castle is not. However, as I understand the DDA not every bit has to be wheelchair accessible. If a wheelchair could access every bit of a secret passage, then able bodied 8 year olds are likely to think it rather tame!

As it is, I'm going to have to have some sort of lighting. Will there have to be clearly marked fire doors I now wonder (that's the Designers problem...)

Thanks for your thoughts - more welcome!

Viv

ps If you put "Poole Quay" into Google maps, and look for Old Orchard, you can find The Swan. You can spot the multi story car park by the yellow arrows on the roof - I took the picture from beside the pay machines. You can also pick out the words "car park" on the road in both pictures. The big building with a corrugated roof is Poole Pottery. You can see how the extension takes up all the space between the original pub building and the Pottery.
Last edited by Viv of Ginger Pop on 14 Feb 2009, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I wonder if it could be constructed in such a way that visitors have to solve some kind of puzzle in order to open the (initially hidden) entrance to the secret passage? But perhaps that would be too difficult to arrange if large numbers of visitors are constantly coming through the doors?

Anita

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop

Anita Bensoussane wrote: But perhaps that would be too difficult to arrange if large numbers of visitors are constantly coming through the doors?

Anita
That's the problem. Come the glorious day in August when it is tipping down with rain - I hope to be very busy! :D :evil:

The entrance to the tunnel is likely to be a pinch point - especailly if some people want more than one go! There is a trade off between making it a challenge (and in many languages) and getting people through.

But keep thinking Anita - I know you have great ideas!

Viv
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

You certainly seem to be on the right lines making it more of a theme park than a museum. I compliment you on your courage, I am far too much of a coward to have taken the step that you have, so I hope you succeed, and I wish you all the best. I'm sure you won't, but don't forget your publicity machine. If you can get into the tourist map/leaflets, that could well encourage more visitors.
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop

Moonraker wrote:You certainly seem to be on the right lines making it more of a theme park than a museum. .
This is actually the 13th property I've looked at.

On Boxing Day 2007 John and I broke into our local neighbourhood WW2 Bomb Factory to sus out its potential. With 2 miniature railway systems and an array of secret passages (probably air raid shelters) it certainly had the space and potential for a theme park, perhaps justifiably named Enid Blyton World, but it would have cost an absolute fortune!

One of my favourite Blyton quotes is EB saying in The story of my life "I am your storyteller" to describe herself. The essence of Blyton is stories. This is why I have chosen the title. On the other hand it is sufficiently vague so that visitors won't have a fixed view of what they are coming to.

Does this make sense, or am I missing a point? Comments welcome!

Viv
Viv of Ginger Pop

Kitty wrote: a Whyteleafe school corridor or something like that?
Um... remind me! :lol:

Viv

ps My mum was telling me today of an old lady she knew, whose son went to Summerhill, the experimental school in Suffolk. When she realised that he really HADN'T chosen to have a wash all term, she took him away!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

"Story Centre" sounds good to me. It makes me wonder whether you're planning to have activities based around the stories, Viv, eg. for groups of schoolchildren? Many of Enid Blyton's short stories are seasonal so it would be possible to have story-readings appropriate to the time of year, followed by related activities.

Treasure trails involving hunting for clues and problem-solving could also be fun.

Anita

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop

Yes - lots of activities. They will all be low-tech, which is fitting with Blyton and will save me money!

We have visited around a dozen museums / attractions associated with authors, to observe, learn, and pinch ideas! Some places did low-tec well and appropriately (The World of James Herriott - a vet - gave Rosie the chance to stick her arm up a cows behind, much to her glee). Dickens World did a Victorian schoolroom, but with electronic desks, where you could play interactive snakes and ladders. Thankfully their toilets were also C21st!

I like the idea of a seasonal story and activity. Some of the wildlife stuff would be good for that.
In time, a mystery to solve that takes you around Old Poole would be good.

Viv