Eileen Soper's Illustrated Worlds (was E B Story Centre)

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
Faraway_Tree
Favourite book/series: Probably Five Find-Outers.... (today anyway!)
Favourite character: Fatty, Buster, Mr Goon!

Re: Eileen Soper's Illustrated Worlds (was E B Story Centre)

Post by Faraway_Tree »

Viv, I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth and say I too am very sorry to hear your news. I holidayed in Dorset in April, and one of the highlights was a visit to each of your shops. The staff were so friendly and welcoming, and seemed very used to dealing with over-excited fans! And I still use the torch pen, which lives in my handbag and has come in handy for many adventures! :D

On the other topic in this thread, I'm with the Amazon book buyers here - it is rare that a book that I want isn't half the price on Amazon. I used to browse in bookshops but now I generally find the Amazon recommendations even more useful (and less time-consumng!) than browsing for new books myself.
poddys
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by poddys »

So sorry to hear that things aren't going too well Viv.

We really enjoyed our visit to your shop in Corfe this summer, and then enjoyed meeting you at Poole, solving the mystery and discussing Gollywoggs. I am still working on my Gollywoggs page - hoped to have it done ages ago, but got sidetracked with this being a really busy time of year.

I hope to get this finished over the holidays, wanted to get it done well before though, as I appreciate that a boost in the popularity of Gollywoggs as well as anything Enid Blyton related might just be enough to help to keep your shops going.

It's hard for so many families these days to make ends meet, and we are like many I suspect, who are taking days out that are closer to home because of fuel costs, then packing a picnic instead of popping into a pub/cafe for a bite to eat, as well as not buying as many souvenirs as we would have in previous years.

I truly hope that things pick up for you, as you have a good location next to Poole Pottery, although anyone walking along the Quay at the end of the road might not see the signs for Eileen Soper, and might end up passing you by. If you could get a sign there that might help, just a thought.

Hoping to hear some good news :)
I went on some great adventures reading the Famous Five books.
Enid Blyton Creator of The Famous Five
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

poddys wrote:I am still working on my Gollywoggs page
I look forward to seeing that, poddys! An unusual spelling of golliwog. Is it an old english version of the word?
Society Member
poddys

Post by poddys »

Moonraker wrote:
poddys wrote:I am still working on my Gollywoggs page
I look forward to seeing that, poddys! An unusual spelling of golliwog. Is it an old english version of the word?
I am a bear of very little brain and as such I keep forgetting which spelling to use.
I intend to use all possible variations in the article so as to apease all the search engines :)
Viv has a nice collection, it would be nice to route more people her way and to help bring the good old Golly back to a point where it's more acceptable.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Florence Upton used the spelling "golliwogg" in her 1895 book The Adventures of Two Dutch Dolls and a Golliwogg. There have been a number of different spellings over the years but nowadays it's usually spelt "golliwog" or shortened to "golly".
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

poddys wrote: I am still working on my Gollywoggs page - hoped to have it done ages ago, but got sidetracked with this being a really busy time of year.

I hope to get this finished over the holidays, wanted to get it done well before though, as I appreciate that a boost in the popularity of Gollywoggs as well as anything Enid Blyton related might just be enough to help to keep your shops going.
Don't know if this is at all relevant to your Golliwogg page at all,but I noticed that the 'Blackjack' sweets are still being sold.

The wrapper does differ though from the older one:

Current Blackjacks Chews;

http://www.treasureislandsweets.co.uk/p ... Chews.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Traditional wrapper;

http://www.vam.ac.uk/moc/images/image/16215-popup.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So the name seems to be accepted,but the packaging doesnt.

Dont think this would be sold anywhere today;

http://www.vam.ac.uk/moc/images/image/16222-popup.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All taken from this site

http://www.vam.ac.uk/moc/collections/to ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I seem to recall scallywag being used as well. Not certain about this, though.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

My word, Pete, you do like your links, don't you?! Good to see that Enid wasn't solely responsible for the good old Golly, as some would have us believe.
Sheila Gopaulen wrote: Trebor's sweet wrapper bore similarities to the existing use of images of black children to advertise liquorice, underlining the connections between the confectionery and skin colour.
How absurd. I wonder what would have been said if white kids advertised liquorice and black kids advertised milk? None so racist as the anti-racist, it would seem.
Last edited by Moonraker on 14 Dec 2011, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I knew you could still buy black jacks, but had forgotten what the original wrapp looked like. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Moonraker wrote:
Sheila Gopaulen wrote: Trebor's sweet wrapper bore similarities to the existing use of images of black children to advertise liquorice, underlining the connections between the confectionery and skin colour.
How absurd. I wonder what would have been said if white kids advertised liquorice and black kids advertised milk? None so racist as the anti-racist, it would seem.
I agree completely.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
chloe1

Post by chloe1 »

I am catching up on stuff on here having been awol for the last few months.

I have just closed my Winchester shop for good. There were many reasons but ultimately retail just isnt fun anymore. I was sick and tired of my shop being used as a glorified window display for the internet and mine and my staffs expertise used - often for long periods of time - to then have the shopper blatently take down the details and go and buy online. Especially as we were usually the same price as online anyway.

However Viv you are offering so much more than just a shop and your ideas and enthusiasm are wonderful. I do think relocating is worthwhile if you can. Thinking of you and sending you lots of energy. xxx
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Sorry you've had to close your Winchester shop, Chloe. It must have been a hard decision to have to make. :(
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
tkurbjuhn

Post by tkurbjuhn »

The key element in todays business is the internet. Even people in their sixties are nowadays buying things online, so it is no use complaining but to adopt to the modern world. The corfe shop seems to run well because people come there not because of Enid Blyton but because of the castle, and when spotting the shop they buy a bit. Especially because there aren't much other shops. But they won't come to buy a Blyton book to a town like Poole, where they have many other possibilities to spend their money. I run a little junk shop since a few years, and almost all things I sell on ebay or amazon. The shop itself is more or less stock , bureau and a point where I buy things from people. In some months my volume in the shop is not more than 100 Euro though it is open all the day. But it doesn't disturb me, then I have more time to place things on ebay.
A friend of mine even doesn't own a shop. In former years he sold old CDs on the flea market , since almost ten years he is only working on ebay. He drives with his bicycle a few hundred kilometers a week through all markets in Berlin, and as he has great knowledge, buys for 1 Euro CDs he sell for 50 and more Euros on ebay. He , I think, has coped best with the situation. But it is almost impossible to copy his success, as he has thousands of CDs with prices captured in his mind.
poddys

Post by poddys »

I wish I had known about your Winchester shop Chloe, we only live in Southampton, and would have come and paid a visit.

Unfortunately we don't have a lot of money spare these days, and are guilty of buying online all too often.
chloe1

Post by chloe1 »

Poddys such a shame you never came. Viv made a visit to my Keswick shop once and I as soon as I knew who she was I wouldnt let her leave ;)

No sympathys needed here (although thank you anyway). The online situation is only one reason why I closed. I am quite capable of running a website and Ebay business but I dont want to. I am glad to be away from the stress of self employment for a bit.

Vivs businesses are not just shops - they are experiences and part of the tourist industry. Tourists like to spend money. Poole is maybe not the best place but Corfe is.

Its tough out there for nearly every business. Viv if you ever need a chat or just want to rant you are welcome to give me a call xxx