Boy Next Door

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.

Whose illustrations do you prefer?

Bestall
33%
Gilbert Dunlop
67%

Total votes: 6

Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Boy Next Door

Post by Ming »

I always wondered why The Boy Next Door had illustrations by two very prominent illustrators of Blyton's work, and after reading Journal 36 I am even more intrigued. As John Lester said in his article, the illustrations are different. Bestall's ones are much more focused on facial expressions, some of which are excellent, some I thought, redundant. Kit's face does not express worry in any way when he is telling the others his story, instead, it looks like he doesn't even care.

Dunlop's illustrations on the other hand capture the scene amazingly, and I particularly like his drawings of the houseboat. His drawings give a haunting atmosphere which I feel is lacking in Bestall's work, however Dunlop's expressions are not first rate.

So which illustrator do you prefer? I myself can't decide yet. :)
Last edited by Ming on 29 Dec 2008, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.

Society Member
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Re: Boy Next Door

Post by Aurélien »

I voted for (Alfred E.) Bestall, Ming - hadn't heard him referred to as 'Rupert' Bestall, but as he is most famous as the illustrator of 'Rupert Bear' it is :roll: entirely possible that some of Rupert Bear's fans know him as such.

While Gilbert Dunlop's artwork is often first-rate, in TBND I am not all that impressed by his illustrations of the characters, though I do like his pictures of that plank bridge stretching between the attic window and a branch of the tree, with Kit escaping across it in one of them. Would also agree with you, Ming, that his pictures of the houseboat are great.

However, Alfred Bestall's pictures work far better for me in bringing both the characters and the 1940's ambience truly alive. *Thinking: Of course 8) the fact that old Aurélien was born way back in the 1940s has nothing at all to do with his preference.*

And I have to say Thanks, Tony, for scanning in all those extra Bestall magazine illustrations for "THE BOY NEXT DOOR", which may be found here, by clicking on the 'Further Illustrations' link at the bottom of the destination page.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I much prefer the illustrations by Gilbert Dunlop, my copy is illustrated by him so I guess I've grown up with those pictures.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

They are both very good! I just looked at them on the website. Still, I would prefer Alfred Bestall's, although agree that Dunlop's illustrations of the houseboat are very good.

I haven't voted, since in my book (an updated edition, more's the pity) neither have drawn the illustrations (The Young Adventurers and the Boy Next Door. :roll: )
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Aurélien wrote:I voted for (Alfred E.) Bestall, Ming - hadn't heard him referred to as 'Rupert' Bestall, but as he is most famous as the illustrator of 'Rupert Bear' it is :roll: entirely possible that some of Rupert Bear's fans know him as such.
Golly, yes, I guess I got mixed up! Corrected it now. :)

My 1970 Collins hardback has illustrations by Dunlop which I am very fond of. I also have the Young Adventurers edition - that one portrays Kit as a dark American with curly hair, on the cover!

Society Member
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

The Young Adventurers edition has got illustrations by Patricia Ludlow which I am not fond of. Certainly not a match to Bestall or Dunlop's! Original editions just aren't available here, so I guess I'll have to do with seeing the illustrations on this site. :(
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

For the legion of Rupert fans on this forum, the vote has to be Alfred Bestall. :D
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Ming wrote:Golly, yes, I guess I got mixed up! Corrected it now.
Worry not, Ming. :) In old Aurélien's case, being 'mixed up', not to say confused and confusticated, is his permanent condition here. :mrgreen:
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I voted for Bestall, because I find his illustrations a lot more in keeping with the era the book was written in, though I have never had a copy of the book with his illustrations (that's something I've promised myself for the new year! :wink: ). I agree that Dunlop's illustrations are full of drama, however, and I absolutely wouldnt have anyone else illustrait the 'R' Mystery series but him. He is one of my favourite illustrators.

But as a Rupert lover I had to vote Bestall! :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Hmmm...at this point the race is neck-and-neck, with Bestall and Dunlop each getting 50% of the votes. Not surprising, really, considering that both gentlemen were noted, quality illustrators.

Of course, *Stirring the pot*, :P at least two of those who've posted above seem also to (quite rightly) value Alfred E. Bestall :wink: for his, let us say, 'Bear Essentials'.... :lol:
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I must admit I'm a stickler for original illustrations whatever the book. Funnily enough however, there is an exception, and that is the 'Faraway tree' books. I grew up with the Dean editions, and can't help having a soft-spot for the illustrations that graced these versions, wonderfully done, I think, by Rene Cloke. I particularly like her depiction of Moonface, who has a proper moon-like head. I must admit feeling short-changed when i saw Dorathy wheeler's depiction of the same character: not fantastical enough for me! :wink:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

To save me yet another trip into the loft, does anyone have the 2 in 1 of The Boy Next Door and The Treasure Hunters to hand - or happen to remember if it's illustrated?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

The 1992 copy I have is illustrated, though it doesn't state who the illustrators are.
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Drat. Thanks for the info, shall have to look it out to see what the illustrations are like now.

Really must learn to get all the info I need from a book before I put it away again :roll:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

Cross referencing the book with the Cave, the illustrations for The Boy Next Door are by Gilbert Dunlop, but I've not been able to identify those in The Treasure Hunters. They're more modern than the pictures I remember from my childhood copy.

How annoying that the names of the illustrators aren't printed in the books!
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139