Boy Next Door

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.

Whose illustrations do you prefer?

Bestall
33%
Gilbert Dunlop
67%

Total votes: 6

Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Boy Next Door

Post by Fiona1986 »

I think it's a shame when illustrators are given no credit for their work! Quite a lot of the Armada covers are by uncredited illustrators.

You've just saved me the trip into the loft though, so thanks very much! I never read The Treasure Hunters in that volume, just The Boy Next Door. :D
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

You're welcome! :D
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

And to answer the original thread question (oops :oops:) I prefer the Dunlop illustrations. I don't think he's any more proficient than Bestall but his style is familiar due to his work on the Barney Mysteries. They're also the ones in the hardback copy I now have (though for some reason I've got "George Dunlop" written in my spreadsheet :roll:) and from my childhood copy.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member