Dorothy. M. Wheeler

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
terry cantor

Dorothy. M. Wheeler

Post by terry cantor »

Hallo everyone. I just found this site, and I'm hoping someone may have some knowledge as to the life and times of Dorothy M Wheeler, the great illustrator of the original editions of THE FARAWAY TREE trilogy.
I've looked on the web, and sadly, there's only a few paragraphs available on her. I'm an illustrator myself, mainly in comics and animation. I'm interested in finding out more about Dorothy... Any leads? Anyone who knew her? Are there any collections of her beautiful artwork to be had?
swimini

The great Dorothy Wheeler

Post by swimini »

Does anyone have any information on the greatest of the Blyton illustrators, Dorothy M Wheeler? I - like many others - am an admirer of her work, especially on The Faraway Tree series.

There is very little about her on the net, other than the brief biographical paragraphs.

Thanks.

Merged with an older thread.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Dorothy M. Wheeler

Post by Eddie Muir »

Have you seen the entry for Dorothy Wheeler on Heather's website? Link below:

http://www.heathersblytonpages.com/blyt ... ml#Wheeler" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It gives a little information.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Re: Dorothy. M. Wheeler

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I would also like to know more about Dorothy Wheeler and hopefully someone will come forward one day who knows more about her. I clicked the link on Heather's page, which I think is probably where she got her limited information from and it is amazing how people can write things that just aren't true:-

'Her final work, illustrations for The Ring O’Bells Mystery by Enid Blyton, appeared in 1965.'

I can't imagine where they got that information from, it is total rubbish and it has been sitting on the internet for ten years!
antoniosalandra

Post by antoniosalandra »

That's Good you information is very useful for me.
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

I've mentioned elsewhere that I wish for all the Faraway Tree books as illustrated by Dorothy Wheeler to be published in full colour in a format similar to the De Luxe editions of Dean and Son, 1979 to 1983, the illustrators then being the Grahame Johnstones and Georgina Hargreaves.
Why the sudden renewed craving? I'd got out my set of 48 full-colour Nursery Rhyme posters illustrated by Dorothy Wheeler commissioned by Macmillan (1950s?). They are splendid. I was amazed that I recognised almost all the rhymes, even though if asked I think I would have remembered only ten or twelve.
Society Member
Jomo
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Timmy, Anne

Post by Jomo »

They sound marvellous Judith. :)
There is a little bit more information on Dorothy M Wheeler at the archived web site linked on the Wikipedia page. I wonder how difficult would it be to follow up some of these leads to find out more about Dorothy.
“To grow up in intimate association with nature – animal and vegetable – is an irreplaceable form of wealth and culture.” 
~Miles Franklin, Childhood At Brindabella: My First Ten Years