The Forum Banner

What would you like to see? All feedback and suggestions appreciated!
Tony Summerfield

Re: The Forum Banner

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I think I probably have different priorities to all the forumites as the banner although nice to see was not high on my list of problems as the forums worked perfectly well without it. I suppose it doesn't matter to anyone here that the search in the Cave doesn't work and nor do other things like the periodical section. Both are things that I need on a regular basis.
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Moonraker wrote: 29 May 2021, 19:16 I'm wondering who the best web technician in the world is...
Come on, Nigel. Everyone knows it's The King of Technicians. TK for short.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Tony Summerfield wrote: 29 May 2021, 19:36 I think I probably have different priorities to all the forumites as the banner although nice to see was not high on my list of problems as the forums worked perfectly well without it. I suppose it doesn't matter to anyone here that the search in the Cave doesn't work and nor do other things like the periodical section. Both are things that I need on a regular basis.
Noooo! I care! I’d much rather have the search function than the banner. I just assumed that as the Cave was back it was all running as before.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Tony Summerfield wrote: 29 May 2021, 19:36 .. the search in the Cave doesn't work and nor do other things like the periodical section.
I noticed the search facility was not working Tony, but didn't like to say.
I feel quite lost without it - you must feel it even more so.

It's certainly not the second best cave in the world......There's a cave in Eastbourne.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

I fixed the search and the periodicals bug, and there will no doubt be other bugs to fix. But I need y'all to report the errors as you find them. I'm rushing about and off on vacation in the morning (flying) so I don't have time to go searching every nook and cranny of the site. Report what you find, and I'll get to it in the next day or so. (Not Sunday, but maybe Monday.)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, although not as frequent a poster as I used to be, it really is important to report to Keith any gremlins that we find lurking in the cobwebs. Mainly a new topic where any problems could be reported, then Keith could look in and see a list.

It seems to me that the forums and Society is a group of two halves. Some just read and post in the forums and rarely look at the website, others use the extensive database of all things Blyton and search out treasures and confirm facts by dipping into the website. Even the forummers are split into two halves. Those who like to join in with the games and mainly concentrate on off-topic banter, others who like to discuss the finer points of Enid's wonderful catalogue of stories. That half could possibly split into two sections, those who concentrate and love the books, others who tend to concentrate on the TV series - mainly the 70s series. We are certainly a broad church!
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Good points Nigel. I could live without the general natter thread.

I have never watched any of the 1970's Famous Five TV shows, but still enjoy the extremely knowledgeable geographical posts about the filming locations on that thread.

I have yet to read any of Enid's school stories, but I aim to one day and still enjoy reading others posts about them.

The Cave for me is the absolute icing on the cake - the amount of information / scans and info available is without doubt a truly outstanding feature that I realise after all these years I will never get to the bottom or tire of.

I am eternally grateful for Tony making it available to us all.

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

pete9012S wrote: 30 May 2021, 10:35 The Cave for me is the absolute icing on the cake - the amount of information / scans and info available is without doubt a truly outstanding feature that I realise after all these years I will never get to the bottom or tire of.

I'm with you on The Cave of Books, Pete. :D
It was my major reason for joining EBS.
How I enjoyed reading the many FF, Adventure series, Barney & Miranda etc reviews!!! 8)

I tried the school stories (Hanni und Nanni) as a child and found them of little interest. Maybe if I would have read them BEFORE discovering the FF series, I might have enjoyed them? But compared with the FF they seemed so tame and uneventful.
At the same time my parents gave me lots of school/boarding school books for Christmas and for my birthday and I was just over-saturated (if there is such a word in the English language?).

Always on the look out for another FF thread, I also enjoy some of the threads like "Which non-Blyton book are you reading now?" and "Which movie have you seen recently?". Unfortunately none of my friends does that on Facebook, so EBS is a welcome site for me to read about other books and movies and sometimes even getting an inspiration what to read next. Goodreads.com is also a great source in that respect.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Keith Robinson wrote: 29 May 2021, 17:04 Okay, the banner is back, and colors mostly fixed. I don't have ALL the colors fully sorted out (eg. there's blue border around this message box I'm typing in right now) but I'll get back to it another day. Right now I need to pack for vacation, leaving tomorrow. Bye for now!

(If you don't see the new style, clear your browser's cache.)
Thanks Keith!! It looks great! Thank you for all your hard work on the site and hope you have a lovely vacation. :D
Moonraker wrote: 30 May 2021, 08:24 Y
It seems to me that the forums and Society is a group of two halves. Some just read and post in the forums and rarely look at the website, others use the extensive database of all things Blyton and search out treasures and confirm facts by dipping into the website. Even the forummers are split into two halves. Those who like to join in with the games and mainly concentrate on off-topic banter, others who like to discuss the finer points of Enid's wonderful catalogue of stories.
Well, there are some here who actually like doing all or most of those things... :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

I have especially liked the Limericks and the cryptic crossword clues. There seems to be a lack of interest in the cryptic clues so I haven’t set any for a while.
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

This May 2021 refresh of our site may also be a good time to invite those that have not already done so to consider subscribing to The Enid Blyton Society Journal:
Subscribe
There are three types of subscription depending on where you live. The annual rates are £12.00 for the UK, £20.00 for Europe, and £27.00 for the rest of the world. For this, you will receive three Journals, starting with the current issue, and membership to the Society for a year. You will also received the current website password which "unlocks" the parts of the site which are available to members only. Now that we are able to accept payments online, it is even easier to subscribe to the Society. Explore the options below.
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/subscribe.php

I'm confident every Enid Blyton enthusiast who decides to subscribe to The Journal will not be disappointed.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

And as a bonus, the upgraded forum works much better on mobile devices than the old one did! :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks for making the adjustments, Keith! Hope you have a lovely holiday full of adventures.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Anita, I'm not sure if that's something Keith really want... Have a holiday according to your taste, Keith.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Wolfgang wrote: 31 May 2021, 04:27 Anita, I'm not sure if that's something Keith really want.

:wink:
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock