Reviews? not really?

What would you like to see? All feedback and suggestions appreciated!
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Reviews? not really?

Post by Fiona1986 »

I was mostly referring to the fact that he called the reviews portion of the site "a big disappointment" as well as saying they had "a cheek" to use spoiler warnings. Also "surely this site deserves better reviews". So basically a long list of criticisms and complaints about what essentially has been a labour of love from various fans over the years, done for no payment whatsoever. Not just pointing out that some of the reviews are more summaries than reviews.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Catbury

Post by Catbury »

Yes, you have a point in that respect. I'm sure he is welcome to write reviews for the site himself.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Catbury wrote:I just came here to open a similar topic; I also like reading other people's opinions. The summaries are great and well written but they are summaries so not really of interest for those people who know the books in and out. Maybe a solution would be to make two categories - summaries and reviews?
The reviews in the Cave were written a good few years ago and some time later, when people had complained of the review sometimes revealing too much of the plot, there was added a brief summary to many of the books in the Cave. This comes before the review so people have the choice of reading a short paragraph about the book or the longer review. I'm not sure how this could be improved upon.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
barney5

Post by barney5 »

Thanks Catbury, even though my reply is a little delayed!

Indeed I meant the difference between a review and a summary. A review does include a plot summary with critique as it should, not just be an opinion. Most reviews are summaries here which is fine just title them as such. I too value not only opinion but other insight such as plot links to other books, locations, inaccuracies and themes.

Meanwhile @Pete I'm just barney5, whatever other pseudonym you're trying to politely unearth it wasn't me.
barney5

Post by barney5 »

Fiona my comments were on terminology not effort. OK easy to quote me and call me negative; yes maybe it seems that way on reflection but my comments were in context.

And no it's not a long list of criticisms but a question in the post title about the nature of reviews and how I and others may value them more and yes wholly about that...
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

You were negative, why not just own it? We can all see what you wrote so it's a bit late to try to backtrack now :lol:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
barney5

Post by barney5 »

Keep bashing that drum Fiona...

Happy to see your opinion wins. Good for you.