Website Additions

What would you like to see? All feedback and suggestions appreciated!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Website Additions

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Bobs has a new companion! Patabang the Siamese kitten came from Paignton, Devon, and was put in a box on the train to be met by Enid at the station at Bourne End. I'm a bit confused by the fact that the kitten was put on the train at four o' clock one afternoon but wouldn't reach Bourne End until the next morning, but maybe she was looked after somewhere for the night en route.

I expect the photo of the bactrian camel was taken at London Zoo.

'The Runaway Guy' is a delightful poem and I enjoyed working out the secret code message too.

Thanks, Tony, for adding these wonderful pages to the Cave!

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/bly ... &perid=619" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

This weeks column has solved a mystery. I was interested to see the story Brer Rabbit tricks Brer Fox, it is the second part of Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby. The first part appeared in TW a few weeks back and was later published in Five Minute Tales. When I read that book I wondered why the story was incomplete, now I know why, the editor of Five Minute Tales didn't realise that Tar Baby was a two part story. The mistake was never rectified, it's still in the 1991 Dean reprint.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

That's interesting, Kate. It's amazing that the mistake has gone unrectified for so long.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

This is actually our Enid who is at fault here. I have just checked it out in her short story work book and she only sent Methuen the first half of the story, so I guess she must have forgotten that it came in two parts. If she had realised this she wouldn't have sent the story anyway as it would have been longer than five minutes!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks, Tony. Heh - fancy sending only half a story!

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

More details concerning pets this week, and a photo of a baby puma (no, it's not one of Enid's pets!)

It's interesting to see that the story 'The Sneeze' was edited by Enid for potential use elsewhere, with the name Patabang being altered to the name of a cat Enid owned later on - Bimbo.

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/bly ... &perid=620" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
Kate Mary

Post by Kate Mary »

I have to say I was beaten by the puzzle last week, I'm glad to see the solution. I wonder if the children managed to solve it?
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Enid Blyton and Bobs talk about Pug Pups and the Tail-Waggers' Club respectively, and we also have a photo of Beauty (the Nun Pigeon) and a simple riddle.

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/bly ... &perid=621" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Another very enjoyable letter. I had to laugh at Patabang having "run up to the top of my best curtains, a thing she does about 12 times a day" — our old cat Kasha, who incidentally was half Siamese, used to do exactly that, and about as often, when she was a kitten! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Kate Mary

Post by Kate Mary »

I love the photos Enid includes with her letters, nice to see a picture of Beauty the Nun Pigeon.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

A lovely, chatty page this week about Captain and Darling, Patabang, a deluge of letters and a plucky young boy. The poem 'Getting Up' is fun.

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/bly ... &perid=622" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

There has been so much rain that Old Thatch may be in danger of being flooded (which we know did happen from time to time).

Nevertheless, Enid is looking on the bright side and preparing for Christmas, delighted with some flowers (chincherinchee) which were sent to her by schoolchildren in South Africa and were apparently grown on Table Mountain. Thanks to the internet, I was able to look up "chincherinchee" and realised that I've encountered them before under another name - "star-of-Bethlehem".

It's interesting to see the 'Crossing the Road' poem and hear what led Enid to write it.

As for Bobs, he's determined to catch a rabbit that he's seen in the vegetable garden!

I've come across the number trick before but it's a good'un, and the photo of the baby zebra is lovely!

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/bly ... &perid=623" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

What a gorgeous flower — we grow a lot of Cape flora in Australia as well, as the climate is similar, but I've never seen chincherinchee before. Obviously they had pretty good methods of transporting cut flowers overseas even in the 1920s, for them to travel all that way to Old Thatch and still be alive!

"Crossing the Road" is a good safety reminder for children, although to me the directions of "up the road" and "down the road" depend on which way the road is sloping... surely it would be clearer if Enid told them to look right, then left, then right again?? :shock: (That's what we're taught in Australia too, as we drive on the left, the same as the UK. It does my head in a bit whenever I'm in a country that's the other way around and I have to remember to look left first!!)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Kate Mary

Post by Kate Mary »

It's amazing that Enid's fame had spread as far as South Africa even at this early date and what a lovely gift the chincherinchee flowers were. (I keep wanting to break into that song from Mary Poppins!).

That's a brilliant number trick, I had something similar in a Christmas cracker years ago, it kept us entertained for ages.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Kate Mary wrote:It's amazing that Enid's fame had spread as far as South Africa even at this early date and what a lovely gift the chincherinchee flowers were. (I keep wanting to break into that song from Mary Poppins!).
:lol: So did I! :wink:
Society Member