Noddy tea set

Advertise items for sale. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Noddy tea set

Post by IceMaiden »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1960 ... ect=mobile

Nice tea set, the postage price is a little off-putting though!! :shock: :P
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Katharine

Re: Noddy tea set

Post by Katharine »

That looks lovely. I'm hopefully going to Norwich at the weekend, maybe I should contact them and see if I could pick it up? ;)
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Seem like a reasonable price!

Looking at the sellers other listings, I wonder if they meant £4.00?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Awww, that's the same tea set I bought a couple of years ago — funnily enough, just yesterday I put it on display in one of my new cabinets in my new home!! :D :D :D Worth having, for anyone who loves Noddy — it's tiny and so sweet. I had to buy several partial sets so I could have a full set with all the pieces and no chips or other damage, which cost me a bit, but it was worth it! (And I gave the best of the excess pieces to a friend who loves Noddy too, so that worked out even better than I expected. :wink: )
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Just as well I didn't put in a bid in the hope of collecting it in person - locally we've had train strikes, so I had to cancel my trip to Norwich. :(
Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

pete9012S wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 21:55 Seem like a reasonable price!

Looking at the sellers other listings, I wonder if they meant £4.00?
But you couldn't take the chance in case you did get charged the displayed P&P. :shock:

Out of curiosity I just messaged the seller saying 'Isn't £400.00 P&P a bit steep?' I wonder what they'll respond with? :D
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

IceMaiden wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 20:05 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1960 ... ect=mobile

Nice tea set...
I noticed another set on ebay IceMaiden - a little more expensive, but the set does seem in lovely condition.
I wonder if these tea sets were expensive when they first went on sale all those years ago??
They must have been a lovely gift to young ones back in the day.
(The seller is accepting offers for this set.)

GREAT CONDITION! Vintage 1960s Enid Blyton's Noddy China Toy Tea Set! £35.00 - £4.65 delivery.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255511752662 ... SwBZhiXawL
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

There are a few around the £10 mark but they have chips or cracks. I imagine getting a pristine set to be quite difficult, as unless they weren't allowed to play with them, the chances are the child who received them would invariably end up accidentally breaking it. I know I broke countless ornaments and bits of china when I was little, a porcelain tea set would have been lucky to last a day if actually used :lol:. (incidentally, my tea sets were plastic and I still managed to crack the teapot!)
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

There's one on E-bay in its original box for £50, plus p & P. I'm so tempted, but I've nowhere safe to store it or display it, and it would be such a shame if I managed to damage something that's survived all this time.

I'm intrigued that it has 3 settings, I would have thought an even number would be more usual.
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Katharine wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 21:44 I'm intrigued that it has 3 settings, I would have thought an even number would be more usual.
From what I can make out from the several piecemeal sets I bought, it seems to have always been sold with only three cups and saucers per set — but there were actually four different designs available! I don't know why that was done. But the upshot of buying three or four incomplete sets and picking out the pieces in best condition was that my own set has all four cups and saucers! :D :D :D :D

The captions and pictures on them are: "A Lovely Breakfast!" (Noddy at his breakfast table); "Hello! Mr Plod" (Noddy shaking hands with the policeman); "Well Done Noddy" (Noddy and Big-Ears catching a fish in a net); and "Would You Like a Ride?" (Noddy in his car picking up girls... er, offering a ride to two dolls :wink: :wink: ).
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

That's interesting Courtenay.

If/when I ever have the space for one, I'll also have to keep an eye out for the 'missing' items too - or if I was feeling very extravagant I suppose I could try and hunt down a complete boxed set for each. ;)
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

It doesn't take up much space at all, Katharine, if that's any encouragement. Mine is on a shelf in my narrower IKEA cabinet / bookcase — the shelf measures about 36 x 26 cm (about 14 x 10. 5 in) and there's more than enough room for it on that!
Society Member