Bookcase Of Antique Books, Enid Blyton £1,500

Advertise items for sale. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Bookcase Of Antique Books, Enid Blyton £1,500

Post by Courtenay »

That's what I thought was the most logical explanation, that it really is a photo taken in 2006. But why would someone use a photo from 13 (maybe nearly 14) years ago for an eBay listing??? :shock: Have the books not been disturbed at all since that time? Does the seller no longer have a camera (or a smartphone or tablet) and therefore can't take a more up-to-date photo? It's just a bit strange...
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Courtenay wrote:Just noticed there's a white spine Five on a Treasure Island there, which MIGHT be worth something...
It's listed as a 1951 reprint so not worth a fortune but a nice dust wrapper of that vintage is always a good addition to a collection!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Well spotted Daisy - even Stella & Rose have a similar 'white spine' copy in good nick for a 'reasonable' price!

I'm always wary when discussing book valuations such as this one, as invariably, as soon as I commit to saying the items for sale are under/over valued a real expert like Tony comes along and blows my feeble observations out of the water!

The 1950 reprint

However, I did notice a picture of a '1st edition' of The Treasure Hunters dated 1950 - but, our ever helpful cave clearly shows the true 1st edition was published in 1940 - see below:

First edition: 1940
Publisher: George Newnes
Illustrator: Edith Wilson and M. Joyce Davies
Category: One-off Novels
Genre: Mystery/Adventure
Type: Novels/Novelettes
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/boo ... re+Hunters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Courtenay wrote:That's what I thought was the most logical explanation, that it really is a photo taken in 2006. But why would someone use a photo from 13 (maybe nearly 14) years ago for an eBay listing??? :shock: Have the books not been disturbed at all since that time? Does the seller no longer have a camera (or a smartphone or tablet) and therefore can't take a more up-to-date photo? It's just a bit strange...
As the listing says it's being sold for a relative, maybe it's an older person who doesn't understand how to alter the date on their camera or simply isn't bothered about it being wrong? :?
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

As there are a number of other pictures which are all 'undated', it is likely the bookcase image is a scan of the original print with the date printed on it and the others are more than likely digital images specifically taken for the posting and taken by the person looking after the sale with their own camera. Chances are the books aren't even stored in the bookcase now, hence the reason for having to use the old image of the complete collection.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member