The Enchanted Wood (first edition 1949)

Advertise items for sale. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: The Enchanted Wood (first edition 1949)

Post by Courtenay »

I think it was revealed in another discussion that there were a few very minor edits in the Dean editions, but certainly not to the extent of changing the children's names and bowdlerising Dame Slap as in the modern versions. :roll: That's the main thing that makes older editions so expensive, of course. I grew up on the Dean versions and although I don't much like their covers, I love Rene Cloke's illustrations. But it's very satisfying to have the Dorothy Wheeler ones as well, for a different interpretation. I couldn't say which I like better!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Re: The Enchanted Wood (first edition 1949)

Post by IceMaiden »

What I want to know, is if the Faraway Tree books are so expensive in their original editions because of things like Dame Slap (utterly ludicrous) , why are the Wishing Chair books not the same? As they also have Mr Grim who canes his pupils and various mention of someone getting or deserving a good spanking too, which I depressingly assume has been cut out of modern editions. Urgh how I hate this butchering of Enid's books, it shouldn't be allowed and wouldn't be with other author's work. Imagine the uproar if Dickens's Oliver Twist was suddenly removed from the workhouse into a palace and fed caviar instead of gruel just because we're not still in a workhouses and gruel time? It wouldn't be accepted yet it seems it's fine to do it if it says Enid Blyton :x .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶