The Folk of the Faraway Tree

Advertise items for sale. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: The Folk of the Faraway Tree

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:The extra chapters don't appear in the individual Dean volume of Adventures of the Wishing-Chair. However, they are included in The Wishing-Chair Collection (3-in-1 volume which was first published by Dean but is now published by Egmont). Alternatively, the extra chapters can also be found in More Wishing-Chair Stories as others have said.

Glad your book arrived okay, Courtenay.
I think perhaps I mentioned that the missing chapters appeared in a Dean book - although I'm not entirely sure if I was the one who mentioned it as I haven't looked back at the linked thread very thoroughly. I have 'More Wishing chair Stories in what I called a Dean edition - although actually as Anita rightly says, it was published by Egmont.

It looks very much like a 1990's style Dean book - a nice hardback, with the original illustrations by Hilda McGavin (the Cave wrongly credits the illustrations in this edition to Antony Lewis, who illustrated the first edition published by Mammouth in 2000 - but that is incorrect!) ;-)

This is the hardback version I have -

It's well worth having because as far as I can tell, it contains all of the original Hilda McGavin illustrations from The Omnibus and the missing chapters of The Adventures of the Wishing Chair etc.

On eBay - £2.69 -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/More-Wishing ... ctupt=true
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: The Folk of the Faraway Tree

Post by Courtenay »

IceMaiden wrote:I've not seen an easily affordable first edition so far, but I have come across second or third editions that are reasonable. Missing out on four chapters although annoying is a lot less disruptive than missing nearly ten. My edition is 1964 and has only the 27 chapters. I wonder why someone decided to cut out almost a third of the story, it doesn't make sense and it's a wonder the book still does after doing so.
It was in the early 1960s — I think the 1963 impression (we did figure it out at one stage in another discussion, but I can't remember exactly) — that they removed the last 5 chapters of the book, which have never been reinstated in any successive editions of Adventures of the Wishing-Chair. So if you have any copy from the 1950s or earlier, that will at least have the original ending, though not the missing sequence from earlier in the book (which was only included in the first edition and wasn't printed again until More Wishing-Chair Stories came out).

I can understand why the publishers decided to cut a few chapters partway through the original book — it's very long in its entirety and as a lot of it's rather episodic, there are quite a few chapters that can be taken out without affecting the overall story. But I've never understood why they later decided to lop off the whole ending!! :shock: :x
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)