The Folk of the Faraway Tree

Advertise items for sale. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

The Folk of the Faraway Tree

Post by sixret »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Folk-of- ... SwvmxciZo9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: The Folk of the Faraway Tree

Post by Courtenay »

Sold!!! Or bought, rather — by me. :mrgreen: Thank you, Sixret!!

(All right, I did deliberate over it for a few minutes, but when I looked for more copies on eBay and found a not-that-much-better one going for £150.00, and a far worse one (with dust jacket in dire condition) going for £33.00, I decided this was more than good enough.)

Hooray — now I only need this one to complete my original Faraway Tree collection (don't worry, I'm in no great hurry)... :wink:

Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Glad you got it, Courtenay, as I know you've been after the third book for quite a while! :-D

I'm also after 'Up the Faraway Tree' -- some hopes there - especially in a dust wrapper. However, I'm not really anxious to get it as I do have it in paperback and I much prefer the proper novels to the picture strip books. :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

Well done!
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

And well done you for finding it — I don't go searching eBay all that often and would probably have missed that one.

What's strange, though, is that the same seller (World of Rare Books) has another copy in visibly far worse condition for a higher price — https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Folk-of- ... 2464190231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; — and that dust jacket is listed as "good" while the one I just bought (not perfect, but far less damaged around the edges) was listed as "acceptable"!! :shock: I'm guessing they must have been put on eBay by different people, working for the same company but with different ideas about what constitutes "good" or "acceptable"...
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
sixret

Post by sixret »

Yes, Courtenay. I have seen it and I think it is odd because the condition of the dj of your book is far better than the expensive one. :shock:
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Well, it's only a few pounds more expensive, but I wouldn't describe that dust jacket as "good" even if it was the only remaining original-design Folk of the Faraway Tree dust jacket on earth!! :shock:
Society Member

IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Glad you got it at last Courtenay :D. I know you were after that one and I have been looking out for it but only found the tatty one, which I guessed you wouldn't want!

Up the Faraway Tree is expensive for what it is. I managed to get a copy for £10 last year and when it turned up it was a lot thinner than I thought it would be. I was expecting it be around the same size as the other three books but it's half that, and as it's in comic strip form I bet the actual amount of story is even less :shock:.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Yes, I'm aware it's in strip format and is a lot shorter than the other three books. But still, I love Dorothy Wheeler's illustrations (though I grew up with Rene Cloke's in the Dean editions, which are wonderful as well), and for the sake of completeness, I'd love to have that last adventure as well. I know it's been published in ordinary book format in modern times, so I could easily buy it cheaply and read it that way, but since it's a shorter story, I'm sure it must seem more substantial with the illustrations! :wink: Besides, I almost always prefer to have older editions of EB books rather than new ones that might have unnecessary edits.

Anyway, The Folk of the Faraway Tree is now in the mail, so I should get it soon! :D World of Rare Books is based in Sussex, from memory, so it might even get to me today — or otherwise, probably on Monday. Thanks for looking out for it for me too, IceMaiden.
Society Member

IceMaiden

Post by IceMaiden »

The illustrations in the Dean editions are one of the few "unoriginals" that I really like. They are very nicely done and unlike most alternative illustrations, I can actually imagine a character looking like they've been drawn. Moon-Face for example I can well picture as having a big round head as the Dean artist draws him. If I couldn't find or afford to buy an original edition of an EB book I would get a Dean edition as in my mind the illustrations make them the best alternative.
Society Member

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree. In fact the Faraway tree series is the only series I haven't collected in the original editions, because I much prefer Rene Clokes depictions. I've had original editions but I always sell them because I am not a big fan of Dorothy Wheeler's depictions (though I am a fan of her illustrations in general).
Courtenay wrote:and for the sake of completeness, I'd love to have that last adventure as well. I know it's been published in ordinary book format in modern times, so I could easily buy it cheaply and read it that way, but since it's a shorter story, I'm sure it must seem more substantial with the illustrations! :wink: Besides, I almost always prefer to have older editions of EB books rather than new ones that might have unnecessary edits.
If you want the complete set of stories, you also need Enid Blyton's Omnibus' Courtenay...or maybe you already have it - I can't remember. :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Ah, no, I don't have the Omnibus! Thanks for reminding me about that one, Rob.
Society Member

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

And as a bonus you also get some more Galliano stories, more Adventurous Four, more Naughtiest Girl, and more Wishing Chair instalments! ;-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I thought The Omnibus was going to be a massive book, but mine's fairly small with yellow binding.
Good book though!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
IceMaiden

Post by IceMaiden »

I haven't got the Omnibus get either, are the Wishing Chair chapters the cut ones from the first edition?
Society Member