Smuggler Ben - Enid Blyton Mary Pollock DJ

Advertise items for sale. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Smuggler Ben - Enid Blyton Mary Pollock DJ

Post by sixret »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMUGGLER-BEN ... :rk:8:pf:0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

£34.99

Can make offer.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: SMUGGLER BEN - ENID BLYTON MARY POLLOCK DJ

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks sixret.

Looks to be in beautiful condition - the seller is selling a few other books I like the look of. A second impression Famous Five and I also like the look of these two:

PERIL ON THE RIDGE - By Michael Poole
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PERIL-ON-THE ... :rk:1:pf:0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A Fete Worse Than Death Dolores Gordon-Smith

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Fete-Worse ... :rk:7:pf:0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by pete9012S on 25 Jan 2019, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Re: Smuggler Ben - Enid Blyton Mary Pollock DJ

Post by Tony Summerfield »

That book belongs to the Tower House series, Pete, as you can see on this link.

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/for ... ower+House" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is nice to see that my photos which all vanished for a while are now back even if they have all been defaced by Photobucket. :cry:
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks Tony - what a marvellous link to that Newnes thread.

I've got a feeling seeing all these books is going to cost me - I really love discovering and buying books from authors of that time period!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I've finally stopped humming and ha-ing and have just put in an offer of £30.00 for this, so let's see what happens! I've been wanting this one for a while in a good early edition, and this is comparable to the one I saw a while ago that was going for £50.40, which is more than I'm happy to pay. If the seller won't agree to £30, I won't mind paying the asking price of £34.99, but thought I might as well try a bit of a haggle just in case... :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Ha! The seller came back with a counter offer of £32.00. As there wouldn't be much point (or much more money saved) in splitting hairs, I've accepted it on the spot. It's a saving of £2.99, which essentially means I get free postage (as that's £2.90 on top of the actual price). So I'm happy. 8) Thanks, Sixret, for pointing this one out!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Sounds good, Courtenay! Smuggler Ben is perhaps my favourite of the Mary Pollock books (I only have the 2-in-1 Collins edition and the name had been changed to Enid Blyton by then) because Ben is something of an enigmatic character, the location is glorious and the children have a lot of fun, as well as encountering secrets and danger. I'm always amused that, despite the wartime setting, cakes and tarts are plentiful, scarves and hats can be bought on a whim for dressing up, and running a motor boat for pleasure is no problem at all!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Sounds good, Courtenay! Smuggler Ben is perhaps my favourite of the Mary Pollock books (I only have the 2-in-1 Collins edition and the name had been changed to Enid Blyton by then) because Ben is something of an enigmatic character, the location is glorious and the children have a lot of fun, as well as encountering secrets and danger.
It's probably my favourite out of the Mary Pollock books that I've read as well. I also started with the 2-in-1 edition, but I gather those were somewhat abridged — also, the original E.H. Davie illustrations look like they'll be well worth having.
Anita Bensoussane wrote: I'm always amused that, despite the wartime setting, cakes and tarts are plentiful, scarves and hats can be bought on a whim for dressing up, and running a motor boat for pleasure is no problem at all!
Well, this is Enid Blyton... :wink:
Society Member

IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Nice one Courtenay! I've seen that copy bobbing about on eBay for ages off and on which I was surprised at, I felt sure it would have been snapped up pretty fast in such good condition. It's always worth making an offer it the option is there - don't ask don't get after all :P .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Well, as I said, there was a similarly good copy going for £50.40 a while ago from a different seller (Stella & Rose) and it appears that's now sold (or at least it's not listed any more), so people do pay much more for these books than I just did. My next objective is my other favourite Mary Pollock book, The Children of Kidillin — I'd like a copy to match this one, the second edition (which was the first to have a dust jacket — the first editions had the same cover design but printed on the boards). There aren't any of that edition currently on eBay, but if anyone sees one around, I'd be interested... :D
Society Member