The Enchanted Wood with dustjacket (1T965)

Advertise items for sale. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: The Enchanted Wood with dustjacket (1T965)

Post by Daisy »

My copy of "The Enchanted Wood" has just arrived. It's in lovely condition and I'm delighted with it. The inscription is rather amusing. It is: To Wendy, Happy birthday. From the dogs. 1969 :o
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Glad you got it safely Daisy -
It's arrived at the best rescue centre possible. I'm sure 'the dogs' would be really pleased! :D :wink:
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Thanks Pete! I shall certainly cherish it.

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Glad you got your book safely Daisy. That's a novel and rather lovely inscription inside it! I love inscriptions in books, they add to the charm and history of it and I find myself wondering about the person behind the pen. Who were they? Are they and/or the person who the book was for still with us? How would they feel knowing the book they gave/received as a gift so many years ago is still being read, enjoyed and cherished? I find them truly fascinating as they're almost a story in themselves.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Talking about inscriptions in books (and I'm not sure under which heading this should be placed) I always take an interest in them when I get a secondhand book and have a few which have been Sunday School prizes in past years - back as far as the 1920s, but one of my own is perhaps the most amusing. I was given "The Secret Mountain" as a Christmas present by an aunt and uncle duly inscribed. However below that original inscription is my elder daughter's name - in her 13 year old hand writing, written 25 years later, and under that in her younger brother's writing is this - "This is a very good book, signed... me." That is followed by a scribble which is an attempt at a flourishing signature comprised of his 3 initials.
The book itself is in a sorry state but because of these personal additions, is more valuable to me than some of my other Blyton books in far better condition.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

That's lovely Daisy. I too love inscriptions and have quite a few inscribed books. I always wonder about the people who previously owned the books and whether or not they even remember their childhood book.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member