Five on a Treasure Island August 1942

Advertise items for sale. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
MrPunch
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Timmy

Five on a Treasure Island August 1942

Post by MrPunch »

Hi all - it's been a while since I was on the forum but every now and again I unearth a few Enid Blyton gems from my late parents very large pile of books!
I have found an August 1942 first edition of 'Five on a Treasure Island' with dust jacket.
The books a little grubby but complete with tight binding, it has some writing on the first page or two.
The dust jacket is a little grubby / tatty and has been repaired with tape many years ago, sadly the word 'Five' is missing (torn), it is not price clipped (5/-).
I am thinking of selling on eBay, (as I am already with other EB books) but would value any input in regards to value etc
Sallyh
Favourite book/series: Adventure series/Find-Outers and Barney series
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Five on a Treasure Island August 1942

Post by Sallyh »

I haven't been on the forum for some time due to work commitments but just had a happy browse this afternoon. May I suggest you get this properly valued as a First edition with dust jacket of Five on a Treasure Island should be hugely valuable - I remember one of the book sellers at the Enid Blyton day way back telling me in excess of £1000. Tony may wish to give you some advice on this.
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

They are selling a first edition for £200, no dust jacket. Seems a lot of money for a book like that.
https://www.worldofrarebooks.com/five-o ... 36064.html

Be quick, only 1 left!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Well, considering it can sell for several thousand with a dust jacket, I guess maybe they figured they could try it on... :roll: Disappointed to see it's World of Rare Books, too — they're normally quite fair and reasonable with their prices.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Interestingly, Tony wrote:
Dates in books during the war are not always accurate as publishing ambition did not always meet publishing actuality, due largely to paper shortage. I know of several examples of books that list a publishing date in them that didn't appear until well into the following year.

Sometimes books are only a month or so out and the most notable example of this is Five on a Treasure Island. The first edition is dated August 1942, but the book wasn't actually published until September. Later reprints corrected this and do list the first edition as Sept 1942.

This doesn't stop people from telling me that my date in my Bibliography is wrong, but none of my listings were spur of the moment decisions.
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/for ... f=4&t=1545" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Lenoir wrote:They are selling a first edition for £200, no dust jacket. Seems a lot of money for a book like that.
https://www.worldofrarebooks.com/five-o ... 36064.html

Be quick, only 1 left!
This seems to still fetch a bit even without a dustjacket. A copy went last week for £70 but I usually see them go higher than that, there's one that keeps appearing for £299 - down from £599! :shock:
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

What a bargain... :roll:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)