Enid Blyton's Birthday - Half Price Sale!

Advertise items for sale. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Enid Blyton's Birthday - Half Price Sale!

Post by Rob Houghton »

Courtenay wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote:Poor Anita - but she can at least save up for a really rare Noddy peddle car or a fancy dress outfit! :lol:
:D Or maybe something really special like these... :wink:
I have two of these, with slightly different wrappers. Mine are 45rpm records. I love them because Enid is actually reading the stories. :-D

Mine are like these -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NODDY-STORIE ... SwKBRaw8w0
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Some of them have been uploaded to YouTube — I found this one just earlier. Enid sounds just like I imagined she would. :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

She does sound just like Enid Blyton, lol! ;-)

The songs featured on the records are the songs from the Noddy Pantomime that Enid mentions in her editorials occasionally. :D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote:She does sound just like Enid Blyton, lol! ;-)
Funny, that. :wink: She could have made a perfect presenter for Listen with Mother if only the BBC hadn't had a strict anti-Blyton policy back then!!
Rob Houghton wrote: The songs featured on the records are the songs from the Noddy Pantomime that Enid mentions in her editorials occasionally. :D
Very sweet, although I did think it was a bit funny to hear Noddy suddenly breaking into song in a completely different voice from the one Enid does for him! :lol: I would have loved to hear these records when I was little — we did have a few story records, but no Blyton ones, let alone ones with Enid herself reading.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Once again - many thanks to those who took part - and particularly to Courtenay, who bought herself an extra book at full price! I hope everyone enjoys their purchases.

All books are now posted - and also the Noddy Fuzzy Felts. I hope they arrive safely. All have been sent Second class - signed for.

Please do check my eBay lists regularly as you never know, you might find a bargain. I have a habit of listing something at what I consider is 'maximum price' and then often drop the price the next time I relist it, before making it higher again the next time, and so on. I learned this off Amazon (lol!!) ;-) So just because a book may seem expensive, doesn't mean it always will be. ;-)

Today I listed two new ones - The Magic Faraway Tree and The Secret of Killimooin - both in very good wrappers...but Magic Faraway Tree isn't cheap (though it is compared to other sellers, lol!) :lol:

Please let me know when your purchases arrive.

Thank you
:-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

My book, The Ship Of Adventure has just arrived - it's superb and has a lovely protective plastic cover over the dustjacket which is brilliant!

Many thanks Rob - although I'm still slowly reading The Valley Of Adventure I'm going to start reading The Ship Of Adventure too today.

I think 'Ship' was the first book my Mum ever bought me in this series in paperback.
That was unusual as I seem to remember reading most of the other series books in the correct order.
Spoilt the surprise of Bill & Aunt Allie's clandestine courtship somewhat, but hey ho! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Glad it arrived okay, Pete! You can see there are a LOT more illustrations in the hardback than in the paperbacks! Hope you enjoy your reread! Pleased you're happy with it! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Mine arrived today while I was at work... at the moment I am being defeated by the super secure wrappings. Where’s Julian and his penknife when you need him? I’ll lwt you know if I ever get into it :lol:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've just this minute opened mine (The Folk of the Faraway Tree), with the help of a multi-purpose penknife (kitchen scissors actually, but a penknife sounds so much more Blytonian!) A super book with a gorgeous dustwrapper design by Dorothy Wheeler - I'm delighted to have it. The note was a nice touch, saying thanks for entering the Enid Blyton birthday promotion. Thank you very much indeed, Rob! :D
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Glad they both arrived okay! yes - I do wrap them fairly well!! :-D

Glad you were happy with your book, Anita - I was worried as the wrapper has some loss! Hope your fuzzy felts are okay Fiona - once you open the package - if you ever do, lol! :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
sixret wrote:Who would have thought that Anita, of all people who bought Folk of The Faraway Tree. I didn’t expect that.
Obviously I was torn between that and the Noddy Fuzzy Felt! :wink:

It was the following thread that made me decide to try to get the Newnes Faraway Tree books if I could find reasonably priced copies, as it made me realise that my 1970s Dean editions are slightly abridged:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... t+#p302631" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've now got The Enchanted Wood and I know The Folk of the Faraway Tree is on its way (thanks, Rob!) but I'll look out for The Magic Faraway Tree too at some point.
Anita, there is a reasonable The Magic Faraway Tree Newnes with a very good dust jacket. But the seller put the wrong book(The Folk of The Faraway Tree) in the photo. You can always ask to verify the advertisement is for which book. £35 :D

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Book ... 4-_-image8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alternatively, if you don't mind the tatty condition, there is a listing on Ebay. £1 at the moment. :D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THE-MAGIC-FA ... Sw3AFbdHws" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I did get in eventually, without scissors or a pen-knife but I more or less destroyed the wrapping in the process :lol: That's one envelope I won't be reusing! The fuzzy felts were very nice but I only had a quick play around with them as Brodie spotted the bright colours and was over straight away trying to grab them.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Good on him. :D We had Fuzzy Felts from an early age — well, I'm sure the first three sets we had were originally bought for my older sister, so they were there before I was born and I must have been introduced to them as soon as I was old enough to start playing with them. Hope Brodie will soon be enjoying his own introduction to them!
Society Member

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Fiona1986 wrote:I did get in eventually, without scissors or a pen-knife but I more or less destroyed the wrapping in the process :lol: That's one envelope I won't be reusing! The fuzzy felts were very nice but I only had a quick play around with them as Brodie spotted the bright colours and was over straight away trying to grab them.
Glad you got in there eventually! Because it was a box rather than a book, I did wrap them more than I usually would! Hopefully Brodie will enjoy them as he grows older! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

sixret wrote:Anita, there is a reasonable The Magic Faraway Tree Newnes with a very good dust jacket. But the seller put the wrong book(The Folk of The Faraway Tree) in the photo. You can always ask to verify the advertisement is for which book. £35 :D

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Book ... 4-_-image8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looks like somebody has bought it, when I followed the link. :D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member