The Secret Seven, First Edition, first impression, 1949

Advertise items for sale. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
viv

The Secret Seven, First Edition, first impression, 1949

Post by viv »

For Sale - First Edition of The Secret Seven, (1949), in a Dust Jacket (also in polythene wrapper). The flyleaf is clean with no signature. It is in very good condition indeed.

I would be pleased if a Society member might be interest in making an offer. Having seen the prices of first editions of Enid Blyton books from the 1940s being sold by a London book seller priced between £1,250 and £ 3,750, these vintage books are clearly a great investment.

I could send an image by email or on the forum (if I can be advised how to do so).

thank you,
Viv
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: The Secret Seven, First Edition, first impression, 1949

Post by Fiona1986 »

Unfortunately I think you should be extremely lucky to get even half of the figures you have quoted! Many people put high prices on Blyton books - whether anyone actually buys at that price is another matter.

Currently on Abebooks for £15

For £35

for £40

And so on. The most expensive is £175, and it looks fairly pristine.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
viv

Post by viv »

Thank you for your response with advice on valuation. I browsed Peter Harrington Bookseller,
selling 1940s Famous Five books at the prices I quoted. I thought it could be worth around £250.

Best wishes,
Viv
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

A book's only worth what someone is willing to pay, so you never know when you will get someone who desperately wants what you've got and is willing to pay a great deal to get it.

Five on a Treasure Island (first with dustjacket) commands prices like you mentioned, and actually sells. So often though people see the name of Enid Blyton and just whack silly prices on them.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Peter Harrington might be selling a copy of that book for £250 but if he was buying it from you I doubt he would be willing to give you more than £30 if that. As Fiona said, books are only worth what people are prepared to pay and the Secret Sevens don't command anything like the prices you quote.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I would also add that most people on here (me included) would only be looking for a fairly cheap copy! certainly not a £200 + copy! 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I would probably go for an copy like this £18 one - a later edition.
You could probably get it even cheaper if you were patient:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Secret-Se ... SwYudXG0R0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I would probably go even cheaper if possible! I tend to try and get an early edition (making sure in the Secret Seven's case that the boards are decorated with the child figures rather than the later 'SS' symbol) with colour on the illustrations and a good jacket for as little as possible. There are many around for about £8.00 - £15.00.

I would normally only go for a more expensive copy of a book if it was something I really wanted (like Banshee Towers, Secret of Moon Castle etc) - which are always more money and rare in a jacket.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member