What a terrible name for a book about The Famous Five!

Advertise items for sale. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
Tony Summerfield

Re: What a terrible name for a book about The Famous Five!

Post by Tony Summerfield »

To be fair, Liam, as he didn't know your surname he didn't realise that you were the author when he posted! :D
Liam
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by Liam »

Courtenay wrote:"Dissecting the Magic"?? Now there's a mixed metaphor, not to mention a gruesome bit of imagery... :shock:
You’re a hard one to please, Courtenay! I thought I did such a good job with the cover - nice combination of colors, and the sea as blue as harebells too. :) I did ask Tony for permission to use an image on his site, but he referred me to the publishers I think, so I used a generic image that was free to use.
Last edited by Liam on 11 May 2016, 23:14, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Yes, I'm afraid that I can only use the images as I am not selling anything, it is just a reference site. Also Hodders who have the copyright are quite happy with it as they use it for reference themselves!
Liam

Post by Liam »

Tony Summerfield wrote:To be fair, Liam, as he didn't know your surname he didn't realise that you were the author when he posted! :D
Tony, that last bit in the second quote shows he knew it was me - from our little tiff. :)
Liam

Post by Liam »

Rob Houghton wrote:It might as well be called 'Destroying the Magic of Enid Blyton'!
Courtenay wrote:Which I'm sure Liam's book doesn't, but plenty of others have tried to. :(

"Dissecting" just reminds me of what we had to do with rats in high school science class... ugh. :x
No imagination, folks! I was trying to do an Uncle Quentin, looking for the Enid Blyton formula:
'Uncle, why do you have all these funny things in your study?' asked Anne, looking round with wide eyes.
Uncle Quentin laughed. 'I'm looking for a secret formula!' he said.
'What's that?' said Anne.
'You wouldn't understand,' said her uncle. 'All these "funny things" as you call them, help me in my experiments, and I put down in my book what they tell me -- and from all I learn I work out a secret formula, that will be of great use when it is finished.'
Last edited by Liam on 11 May 2016, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Liam wrote:
Courtney wrote:"Dissecting the Magic"?? Now there's a mixed metaphor, not to mention a gruesome bit of imagery... :shock:
You’re a hard one to please, Courtney! I thought I did such a good job with the cover - nice combination of colors, and the sea as blue as harebells too. :) I did ask Tony for permission to use an image on his site, but he referred me to the publishers I think, so I used a generic image that was free to use.
I think it's really sad when someone's hard work is criticized, as mentioned in another thread, one should always consider someones feelings before starting to pull something to pieces in an unkindly way!

I've not read your book Liam, but as I mentioned before, you must have put a lot of time and dedication into your work. And I hope you're not feeling too down after reading this thread.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Well said, Julie :lol: Cheers Liam! Give me a free copy of the book! :wink:
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Liam wrote:
Courtney wrote:"Dissecting the Magic"?? Now there's a mixed metaphor, not to mention a gruesome bit of imagery... :shock:
You’re a hard one to please, Courtney! I thought I did such a good job with the cover - nice combination of colors, and the sea as blue as harebells too. :) I did ask Tony for permission to use an image on his site, but he referred me to the publishers I think, so I used a generic image that was free to use.
Oh no, by "imagery" I wasn't referring to the pictures on the cover — I meant the imagery in my mind that the word "dissection" conjures up! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Liam

Post by Liam »

Well that one went right over my head. :o
Liam

Post by Liam »

Machupicchu14 wrote:Well said, Julie :lol: Cheers Liam! Give me a free copy of the book! :wink:
Thanks, Machupicchu14! :)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

It must be re-stated that Liam manfully read through the complete 'Anecdotage' thread including all the absolute drivel I posted on it too around the time he joined us all here.

I therefore will not hear a bad word about Liam - and I am going to buy his book on Kindle as I definitely can't find the file I downloaded it to originally. :D :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Liam

Post by Liam »

Thanks, Pete. I don't care what anyone else says, but that original thread was one of the highlights of these forums!
Liam

Post by Liam »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I think it's really sad when someone's hard work is criticized,
Julie, not at all. I was pleasantly surprised by the comments. I know all of the book’s flaws, so nothing would surprise me. So let Courtenay bring it on! :D
Last edited by Liam on 11 May 2016, 23:13, edited 2 times in total.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Liam wrote:Thanks, Pete. I don't care what anyone else says, but that original thread was one of the highlights of these forums!
Well Liam, that opinion (probably more strident than any plot comparison) and just like my love of the late great Betty Maxey definitely puts us both in a unique but lonely place! :wink:

I often think fondly of the 'Anecdotage' and the great Doctor and wonder how he's doing - probably promoting his masterpiece somewhere in the online ether as we speak I suppose...ah well back to reality! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Tony Summerfield wrote:To be fair, Liam, as he didn't know your surname he didn't realise that you were the author when he posted! :D
Liam wrote:
Tony, that last bit in the second quote shows he knew it was me - from our little tiff. :)

I wish I'd never started this thread actually, and pondered many times about asking an administrator to delete it, as I don't have the power to do that myself. As soon as I knew who had written the book, I regretted my comment, knowing I would cause offence. I don't see how the 'last bit of the second quote' shows that I knew it was Liam - I didn't know until Pete told me, higher up the thread. But then again I learned a long long time ago that anything I say will be twisted and blown out of proportion by Liam. Which is why I considered having the thread deleted.

I certainly would never say anything against Liam again. Seems like the wrong thing to do. I notice he picked upon my early opinion of the title (I never criticized the content) of his book, but didn't take into account any of my attempts to make amends afterwards.

I feel it's actually become quite personal, with his accusations that I'm attempting to 'get his back up' again - which is not the case, and again I am feeling bullied by his attitude towards me, which is quite obviously antagonistic - so will leave off commenting on this thread from now on. That's two threads in just a week that I feel I can no longer contribute to.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member