101 eBooks Enid Blyton

Advertise items for sale. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
BookWorm19
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five / Gallianos Circus

101 eBooks Enid Blyton

Post by BookWorm19 »

Hi Everyone,

I have 101 Enid Blyton ebooks on my kindle, I have them all stored on my laptop, so if anybody wants them for their e-reader, just let me know and ill email them over to you :)
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: 101 eBooks Enid Blyton

Post by Fiona1986 »

I have to wonder whether or not there are 101 legally obtainable e-books by Enid Blyton. Even if there were it wouldn't be legal to freely distribute copies of them.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
BookWorm19

Post by BookWorm19 »

I bought the books off a ebay store on ebay, which is legal:

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Seven-Tips-Fo ... 0003840641" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

No, it's absolutely not legal. The copyright and distribution rights of Enid Blyton's work are owned by Hodder (with the exception of Noddy which was bought by an American company). Nobody else is legally allowed to sell her works without permission of Hodder (this doesn't apply to second-hand books of course).

Copyright of such works usually expire 70 years after the author's death in the UK, and for EB that won't be until 2038.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I agree with Fiona here, it's a violation of:

"6)Rights

Before you list any product on eBay, make sure you are allowed to resell it. Resell Rights and Master Resell Rights are different things, if your selling items which your not allowed to it will get you into trouble somewhere along the line."

It's quite easy to create ebooks, some pages that had offered Blyton books in digital format had been closed due to violation of copyrights.
As much as we appreciate your generous offer to share these books with us, it can cause you a lot of trouble.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Fiona and Wolfgang are right. A generous offer, BookWorm, but not advisable as it could land both you and others in trouble.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
BookWorm19

Post by BookWorm19 »

But they are legal ebooks because they are sold on amazon in the e-book section
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Amazon also sell CDs and DVDs, that doesn't make it legal to make copies of them and sell them on eBay.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

When I read this I thought "Is it legal?" Are, here's a website about selling ebooks:
http://www.digitalsecrets.net/secrets/Copyright.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It tells you what you should do.
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

This thread has got me thinking about the prelim pages we see in many books including Enid's.

"This book is sold subject to the condition that it shall not, by way of trade or otherwise, be lent, resold, hired out, or otherwise circulated without the publisher’s prior consent in any form of binding or cover other than that in which it is published and without a similar condition including this condition being imposed on the subsequent publisher."

According to the above,lending,re-selling or hiring our own books out is just as illegal as an ebook share.
Or does the above legal terminology mean something different perhaps??? :?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

It's an awkwardly written piece. It simply means that without the publisher's permission a book may only be lent out, hired or sold in its original form. So you can't recover a book and then lend it from a library or sell it anywhere. You also can't type it up and print it onto new paper or distribute digital copies.

"This book is sold subject to the condition that it shall not, by way of trade or otherwise, be lent, resold, hired out, or otherwise circulated without the publisher’s prior consent in any form of binding or cover other than that in which it is published and without a similar condition including this condition being imposed on the subsequent publisher."

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I took a look at amazon.co.uk - yes, they're offering Kindle editions of some Blyton books.
If there are no other explicit conditions, these are the ones that have to applied:

"1. Digital Content

Use of Digital Content.
Upon your download of Digital Content and payment of any applicable fees (including applicable taxes), the Content Provider grants you a non-exclusive right to view, use, and display such Digital Content an unlimited number of times, solely on the Kindle or a Reading Application or as otherwise permitted as part of the Service, solely on the number of Kindles or Other Devices specified in the Kindle Store, and solely for your personal, non-commercial use. Unless otherwise specified, Digital Content is licensed, not sold, to you by the Content Provider. The Content Provider may include additional terms of use within its Digital Content. Those terms will also apply, but this Agreement will govern in the event of a conflict. Some Digital Content, such as Periodicals, may not be available to you through Reading Applications.

Limitations. Unless specifically indicated otherwise, you may not sell, rent, lease, distribute, broadcast, sublicense, or otherwise assign any rights to the Digital Content or any portion of it to any third party, and you may not remove or modify any proprietary notices or labels on the Digital Content. In addition, you may not bypass, modify, defeat, or circumvent security features that protect the Digital Content."

The important parts are:
"... and solely for your personal, non-commercial use. Unless otherwise specified, Digital Content is licensed, not sold, to you by the Content Provider..."
and
"you may not sell, rent, lease, distribute, broadcast, sublicense, or otherwise assign any rights to the Digital Content or any portion of it to any third party"

Even if you had the right to buy them on ebay, I doubt you also have the right to distribute them. I suppose it would be quite interesting to know which conditions the original owner of these ebooks had.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
BookWorm19

Post by BookWorm19 »

Well i did buy them on ebay, and its the sellers fault if he has obtained the books illegally, and I have bought a couple them through Amazon myself.

I didn't realise it was illegal to give them away to other people, but I suppose it is me making a copy by having them stored on my laptop.
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

The seller is clearly to blame for illegally selling ebooks, but it is entirely possible to prosecuted for knowingly buying illegal copies.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
BookWorm19

Post by BookWorm19 »

How do you know he was selling them illegally?

There are ebay rules about selling ebooks which you have to agree to, and i bought them off an ebay store, not just an individual seller, so i would imagine he had the resell rights to sell the books