We Want a Story 1st edition signed

Advertise items for sale. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: We Want a Story 1st edition signed

Post by pete9012S »

timboss81 wrote:surely if you want to bid so high you will do your own research?
Good point.I agree that anyone bidding that much must consider themselves to be fairly knowledgeable about Enid's work and what would be a fair price to pay for it.
I was wondering how strictly the bids are enforced?If somebody places an extremely high bid but fails to honour it,what happens next?
Anyway,I hope it all works out well for you and it hasn't put you off Enid Blyton at all!

Regards

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
timboss81

Post by timboss81 »

Wll i will avoid picking up here books in the future! ;) especially at garage sales No it was just an unfortunate turn of events which i never expected, so that everyone can relax too the other highest bidder is not interested so it remains unsold, although i am happy the whole experience is now over.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I am so sorry that this has turned sour on you, Tim, and I do hope that people have not been unduly influenced by what I wrote on this thread, but it seems that the majority of the posters on the Trade Me site haven't read this anyway. Certainly none of them contacted me.

I found some of the comments utterly ridiculous, such as getting the paper tested for age. I have seen dozens of Blyton signatures and I am 100% confident that this is a genuine signature and I certainly don't need to physically handle the book to say this. The other signature on Trade Me is also genuine, but the word 'love' has been doctored as Enid never used an upper case 'L'.

My gripe has never been with you as you sound like a genuine sort of a guy, but with the ridiculous media hype that built this item into the 'holy grail' and an investment of a lifetime. It is interesting to see a New Zealand dealer agreeing with my valuation of the book and it is also clear that most of the high bidders had done little or no research.

All said and done, this was a very nice find and a real bargain as it is worth considerably more than you paid for it. Just as a sidetrack the link that you gave did not work, but it certainly showed that you have taken some absolutely fabulous photographs!