Important Auction Sale 15th September

Advertise items for sale. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Important Auction Sale 15th September

Post by Lucky Star »

Welcome Bavers and thank you so much for posting those explanations.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

Thanks for venturing onto the forums Bavers.

The table has indeed gone to a good home. I have the table in my bedroom, and it gives me a nice feel good factor every night when I go to bed. I would say it's a feeling that money can't buy, but I guess in this case money did play a part in it!

If you haven't yet seen, you might like to view the Pathe news clip in which the table is featured! I've cut and pasted the clip from another string on the forums entitled 'Enid Blyton at Green Hedges, 1946 Pathe News reel' which you may wish to read. Of course if you haven't seen the clip before, you will be more interested to see your mother in it!

clip.

Due to other commitments unfortunately I didn't have much time to look at the lots prior to auction. I did manage to have a quick look through your mother's diary though. I would also have very much have liked to have bought it, although I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be able to. A couple of entries I remember were: one in which she recorded that she had had to get up very early in the morning to revise her latin grammar, and another on 1 April where she seemed quite disappointed: "It's April Fool's day but no one has realised". Aaaah!

The tale of your Mother keeping the typescript in the bathroom is quite amusing! Maybe Seven Stories should have a sniff of the typescripts they bought to see if one of them seems a bit scented! :)

Regarding typescripts:
bavers wrote:The ones Tony saw appear to be those previously at Darrell Waters Ltd, removed just prior to the sale of the company to Trocadero. The estate has now sold these, along with some belonging to me which they refused to return.
Are you saying there were other typescripts which the estate sold ie. prior to the auction? Sorry I wasn't clear on that. :roll:

I imagine there are all sorts of fascinating things you could tell us if someone asks the right question (not that I'm suggesting everyone starts bombarding you with questions!).
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Green Hedges

Post by Green Hedges »

Hello Bavers. It would be great if you could tell us something about your memories of your grandmother and her house. What years would it be that you were visiting Green Hedges? What were the dynamics of the house at the time - did you interact with Enid and Kenneth equally? Did you ever observe her at work? I hope that doesn't constitute bombarding you with questions! As Viking Star suggests, we shouldn't be so forward in our curiousity as to do that. But anything you have to say - precise memories or general impressions - would be of immense interest to all the people who use these Forums.

I bought your mother's set of Find Outers books at the auction. Some of them she's obviously bought from a bookseller (she's left the pencilled prices on the frontispiece), all the same bookseller, I think, judging by the handwriting. One book (Mystery of Hidden House) is written in by your grandmother. One (Mystery of Disppearing Cat) is signed by your mother as G. Darrell Waters. Several more would seem to have been in the library of Enid Blyton Limited at one time. There is nothing written in them but they show signs of once having had the stickers that are so prominent on the spines of the books photographed by Bob Mullan in his Enid Blyton Dossier (Thank you for tellng me about that, Tony). It's likely that some of these books were at Green Hedges at one time, owned by your graandmother or your mother. They were then in possession of the company, but at some stage were repossessed by your mother. If you have any background insight into any of that then I'd be delighted to read it.

Duncan
insanedoh

Post by insanedoh »

Very sad I missed this auction! Looking at the auction list and the ending prices, these are priceless items & some seem very cheap all things considered!

Anyways, there is an article from seven stories (sorry if it's already been posted) here: http://www.sevenstories.org.uk/news/vie ... hp?id=2030" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; regarding their purchases from the auction.

And there is now also a large number of books/publishers copies on Abe from the auction from 2 sellers (that i've seen) Unfortunately money doesn't permit to buy them all!!
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

Hmmm. Following an email from Green Hedges I had a look at the Lucius Books web site, where they have for sale nine books from the Mystery series (one containing a handwritten note by Enid), bought at the Hartleys auction.

On Lucius' web site the books are for sale at £3,500. At the auction they were bought for the princely sum of£1,250!
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Hefty mark up indeed. The word Profiteering comes to mind although I suppose that is why they were bought. :roll:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
insanedoh

Post by insanedoh »

ya, there's quite a few on ABE, I may have purchased some awhile back when they first came out, and yes i'm sure at a much much higher cost than at the auction!! Aaaaah the trouble with living so far across the sea, wish I could've attended the auction!

I purchased before I go to sleep, let's garden & fifth formers of st clares all in publishers bindings (enid's copys) they hold a shelf spot and a place very dear to my heart! (and my wallet!!) I would really really love to buy the MALORY TOWERS (First editions. Five volumes. ENID BLYTON’S COPIES. In the original publisher-commissioned Sangorski and Sutcliffe presentation bindings ) set they've got on there, but it's 4000AU$... o well.. maybe one day i'll win tattslotto! ;)
insanedoh

Post by insanedoh »

here's the link to the current lot.. so many $$ :(

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... vci=151092" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Ridiculous prices.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

insanedoh wrote:I purchased before I go to sleep, let's garden & fifth formers of st clares all in publishers bindings (enid's copys) they hold a shelf spot and a place very dear to my heart! (and my wallet!!)
:lol: Nice to have Enid Blyton's specially-bound copies though.

Thanks for the link, but it looks as though I'll have to stick with my 1970s paperbacks!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Nice to own a set of leather bound Find-Outers. Much too expensive though!!!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Maureen1954
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: All of the Famous Five

Post by Maureen1954 »

Hi re Enid Blytons books that you mention above some of them are at this Auction Site in Chelsea London which I will copy and paste their link further down.

What is confusing me though where Viking mentions the books on Lucius website the same books are for sale on the website below are they all connected these booksellers and share commision??? Could someone please clarify??? ...........

http://www.peterharrington.co.uk/store/ ... id-blyton/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers and Gingerbeers

Maureen :? :? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Famous Five Forever!!!