Important Auction Sale 15th September

Advertise items for sale. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Re: Important Auction Sale 15th September

Post by Viking Star »

I would have liked to have posted a response sooner, but was overseas yesterday and only got back this morning (after no sleep last night!).

What a week I've had travelling since Monday morning: Bristol - Swindon - London - Brussels - London - Ilkley - London - Holland - London. I'm exhausred! :shock:

Re. the FFO books and the Enid connection, what I meant to say was that subconsciously at least, I'd imagine most of Gillian's books were either presents from Enid or at least purchased for Gillian round about the time they came out. But in fact a couple of them she may have only owned 20 days rather than 20 years!

ALL the staff at Hartleys were very pleasant and helpful. Prior to the auction, even though the hall was very busy (somebody jokingly asked "who's in charge of crowd control?"),both the valuer who can be seen in the Yorkshire TV interview and the auctioneer were quite happy to spend as much time as necessary to answer my questions, or find someone else who would know the answer. I would have loved to have had more times to view the items (particularly the manuscripts and Gillian's diary) but only managed to make it to Ilkey just before midnight the previous evening.

When I arrived at the Auction room I panicked a bit because I couldn't see the table, and I had just picked up a catalogue which had a sheet of A4 in giving details of items which had been withdrawn and so on. I was panicking that I had come all the way to Yorkshire and the table had been withdrawn! The auctioneer quickly found the table for me, which I had missed because it was lower than I had imagined and was not displayed that prominently (it may have been under a shelf or a higher table).

The auctioneer, who was very businesslike getting through the hundreds of lots when it came to the actual auction (there were other lots either side of the EB items) remembered my interest and had his eyes ready fixed on me a couple of hours later when the table came up for sale. He also went out of his way afterwards to find some suitable packaging for the table, and wrapped it up for me so that I could carry it back!

Sorry Pink Cardi! :roll: At least you made me pay for the table! :lol: I wonder how much it would have gone for otherwise? Were you wearing a pink cardi on the day? I think so! I'm glad you got some items you wanted. I too was interested in the 'Story of my life' books, the FFO series and also Gillian's diary (which I had a quick peek through; there could be some interesting stuff in there). However I knew I would have to restrict myself if I was to get my top targets. The table and 'Tally-Ho' were in fact the only items I bid for. Of course I would have loved 'The Mystery of Holly Lane' too! :lol:

I did try to record some of the auction on the voice memo facility of my iphone. I thought I had the first hour or so, but maybe there's a limit to how much you can record because it's disappeared. I have got 5 minutes worth recorded which includes bidding for Malory Towers typescript and the FFO series (which I think started and finished with Duncan's bid). I also took a few pictures and video when the auction started (non EB items). I gave up in the end because it was all getting a bit too tense! :lol: The nearest lot I remember nearly flopping completely was the box of videos. I think the auctioneer had to reduce the price to £10 before any interest was shown. Unfortunately I didn't have time before the auction started to check the videos and see if there was anything unusual in the box.

I hadn't realised either that bids could be submitted by email until I read Duncan's first post. I knew that telephone bids were possible, but I was fearful of that sort of thing going wrong (I had never been to an auction for starters). A big plus, which was a real quirk of fate, was that Sarah from Seven Stories was staying at the same B&B as me, so were able to have some chin wags before and during the auction :wink:
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Sounds like a great auction. Wish I would have gone now!!!!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Green Hedges

Post by Green Hedges »

A few points I want to make. Must try and get them down succinctly:

1. Strange that Gillian's daughter had to bid for her mother's diary. Perhaps Gillian made her will before it was known that her daughter would have liked the diary. Doubly strange though that she was outbid by Seven Stories as I believe one of their backers was Sophie, Imogen's daughter (correct me if I'm wrong!). Perhaps once the dust of the auction has settled they'll be able to sort something out so that Gillian's daughter gets access to her mum's diary.

2. I did get the FFO books. I didn't expect to get them and it's only just sinking in that I own Enid Blyton's own copy of The Mystery of the Hidden House. I wonder if it was Enid's custom to write in the file copies of her books what she wrote in this book: That is: 'This book belongs to Enid Blyton, Green Hedges, Penn Road, Beaconsfield. Please return to the above address.' Perhaps she was in the habit of lending her books and so was in the habit of writing this in her own personal copies. Perhaps it wasn't what Imogen in A Childhood at Green Hedges calls her file copies but was instead a spare copy that she knew she was sending off to someone but wanted it back. Anyone have any notion?

3. Sorry, Blyton Bookworm, to deprive you of the FFO books by ten British pounds. I'll try and give you a shout when I've sorted through the books. I did ask which of the other books had any marks of ownership and in return I got three scans. Two books looked as if they'd been bought in by Gillian, but the other had 'G. Darrell Waters' written in it, so that would have been Gillian's childhood copy. As for the other 11, I expect they'll be very good copies, with dust wrappers, and with no way of knowing whether Gillian had owned them for fifty years or two months. Did you glean anything else about them at the auction, Rob?

4. I'm delighted that Viking Star got the table and the Tally Ho manuscript. It's a couple of years ago that he and I met and stood looking in at the house we reckoned MAY have been what Enid had in mind as Fatty's house (see thread 'Looking For Fatty and co'). There's something a lot more solid, a lot less thin air-ish, about the Tally Ho manuscript and Enid's copy of Hidden House! Will our mutual Peterswood obsession stop there? Hmmm... Does anyone know who has the m'script of Hidden House? :D

5. All the large manuscripts for sale were dated in the Fifties or later. I wonder if the 1962 SS m'script shows any signs of a waning of Enid's majestic powers. Are there any important m'scripts from the 40s in public ownership? I still haven't had a chance to look up the ms that the EBS owns, as I now realise I haven't got Journal 42 having inadvertently let my annual subscription slip (cheque is in the post, Tony!). Perhaps Enid, or her advisers, only began to realise by 1950 that the typesripts/manuscripts would one day be valuable.

6. Do we know who bought the copy of The Story of My Life that was inscribed '..to Gillian from Enid Blyton (Mummy)'. It seems to me that the reversal of what you might expect - mostly such inscribed books are '..to Gillian from Mummy (Enid Blyton)' - and that this adds piquance.

7. I wonder why the Mystery Moor m'script went for £1300, about a third of what the other FF m'scripts went for. Was everybody taking a minute to digest the high prices that the first two FF m'scripts went for allowing Mystery Moor to be sold at a bargain price? Perhaps Seven Stories didn't bid for this item (For some reason) and someone else got lucky.What was your impression, Rob, or Viv, or Pink Cardi?

Duncan
Last edited by Green Hedges on 18 Sep 2010, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Green Hedges wrote: 2. I did get the FFO books. I didn't expect to get them and it's only just sinking in that I own Enid Blyton's own copy of The Mystery of the Missing House. I wonder if it was Enid's custom to write in the file copies of her books what she wrote in this book: That is: 'This book belongs to Enid Blyton, Green Hedges, Penn Road, Beaconsfield. Please return to the above address.' Perhaps she was in the habit of lending her books and so was in the habit of writing this in her own personal copies. Perhaps it wasn't what Imogen in A Childhood at Green Hedges calls her file copies but was instead a spare copy that she knew she was sending off to someone but wanted it back. Anyone have any notion?

Duncan
I don't think that you can have read some of my previous posts, Duncan, but at the risk of repeating myself, these were not Enid Blyton's books, they were Gillian's, the vast majority of which she bought from various dealers over the years.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks for telling us more about the auction, Rob. I've never been to an auction but from your account I can imagine the tension and excitement!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Green Hedges

Post by Green Hedges »

Obviously I know that, Tony, as the third point of my last post surely makes clear.

As to the single one of the 15 FFO books sold at auction that does have the obvious Enid Blyton connection - if there are other copies of The Mystery of the Hidden House known about that were Enid's own copies, with her name written in them, then I'd be interested to know. But given how many books she wrote, I'd be surprised if she bothered to write her name and address, attesting her ownership, in more than one copy.

Duncan
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

It sounds like it was a very exciting day. Did anything go for roughly the guide price? It doesn't seem like it. It is encouraging to see the level of interest that obviously still surrounds all things Blyton. Hopefully all the items went to good homes.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

The auctioneers were expecting £15k - £20k but it actually reached £80k :shock:

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Pink Cardi

Post by Pink Cardi »

Whoever bought the manuscript of Five Go to Mystery Moor - got a bargain at £1,300. I think people were suffering from shock from the high prices of the previous bids. I felt so shocked by the speed the auctioneer was going at and the fact that bids were so high they were literally going through the roof - that I felt quite paralysed and unable to raise my hand and bid for it myself.

So whoever got Mystery Moor was very fortunate indeed!!

Likewise, the manuscript for The Boy Who Cheated only went for £270.

Does anyone know who bought the painting of Enid? I was surprised that no one in the family had kept that. EB's short mink cap at £50 was very close to the estimate and none of the furs sold for a huge amount.

Yes, Viking Star, I was sat in front of you wearing a pink cardi. I started to bid for the table, which I had been longing to own, but dropped out when it went over £600. Did you have a budget for this or were you determined to buy it at any price? I have regretted not continuing to bid - heaven knows what it would have gone for in the end if you were absolutely determined.

One of the things I did buy was The Story of My Life inscribed to Kenneth - and with it came a copy of Before I Go To Sleep published by Little Brown and is the Catholic Edition 1955. Inside it is inscribed ' love from Enid Blyton' - but it is written in blue biro. Does that seem strange to anyone? It's just that I thought EB tended to write in blue ink. Any advice on this I would find helpful. Do you think I needn't question its authenticity seeing as it came from Gillian Baverstock's estate?
Viking Star

Post by Viking Star »

I was sort of determined to buy the table at any price - although at the time I was feeling a rather large hole in my pocket from purchasing Tally-Ho cottage. In the days leading up to the auction I was worried about how much the table would go for. However on the day, after speaking to Hartleys and Sarah from Seven Storeys, it seemed that most people were focussing on the books, and I had been hopeful of buying the table for less than I did in the end.

I think the Enid portrait achieved the highest price on the day. Perhaps it should have been on the cover of the catalogue (the statue of the fisherboy went for £6000)!

My typescript has blue biro corrections (as well as by pencil) so I wouldn't worry about that.
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Pink Cardi

Post by Pink Cardi »

Thanks for your info about the blue biro, Viking Star, I feel a little reassured now. I guess you would have bid a lot higher for the table, so I'm glad I pulled out when I did. Hope you now have it nicely displayed along with the manuscript. I'm very jealous!!
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

One of the things I did buy was The Story of My Life inscribed to Kenneth - and with it came a copy of Before I Go To Sleep published by Little Brown and is the Catholic Edition 1955
What is the difference between the Catholic Edition of Before I Go To Sleep and any other versions?

Well done on getting The Story of My Life, I keep looking for a copy of that, but haven't found one so far.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I wonder if any of the items will suddenly make an appearance on EBAY at extortionate prices!!!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I wonder if any of the items will suddenly make an appearance on EBAY at extortionate prices!!!

8)
Good point Julie. I'm sure at least some of the items will have been bought by investors rather than true Blyton lovers. Thats the way of the antiques and collectibles market I suppose. I would imagine that anyone intending to do that would wait a couple of years though. Until the items appreciate a little in value.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Viking Star

Post by Viking Star »

Not sure if this will work (so long since I've tried!), but there was an article about the auction in the Guardian today:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/se ... en-stories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;