Effects of the current times

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Shanku
Favourite book/series: Mystery Series, Malory Towers, all Fairy Stories
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Bets & Timmy!

Effects of the current times

Post by Shanku »

Hello everyone,

After 8 stressful months uncertainty my position was finally made redundant last week. :evil: My energy will now be directed towards finding newer (and hopefully greener!) pastures - well, at least once I feel motivated enough to do anything really. Oh the perils of living in Dubai during the current times...

Lately, I have just been popping in to see what's new but haven't been contributing towards the forum at all so I thought I should share this bit of news with my friends.

*The newly unemployed Shanku*
...and there, hidden among the leaves, was Peronel. She had beautiful golden hair and was dressed in silvery white with silver wings on her back.

Society Member
Moonraker

Re: Effects of the current times

Post by Moonraker »

Keep positive, Shanku. I was made redundant 25 or so years ago, and looking back, it was the best thing that happened to me! All the best in discovering those 'pastures new'!
Society Member
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

The paralysing worry caused by looming redundancy can be more energy-sapping than the redundancy itself. Now that it has actually happened, Shanku, think of being made redundant as a new door that you are going to open to some purpose, rather than as a door that has been slammed upon you by others.

Easy for a pensioned-off retiree like me to say, I know, but how you 'arise from the ashes' (thinking phoenix, not cricket) is vastly more significant for your future than your being made redundant itself. If being made redundant is something done to you by others, the more you now make things happen, the brighter your future.

Chin up, and good fortune. :)

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

If a Phœnix were to play cricket, from which ashes would he rise? Aurélien, there is more to you than meets the eye!
Society Member
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

Moonraker wrote:If a Phœnix were to play cricket, from which ashes would he rise? Aurélien, there is more to you than meets the eye!
Hey, Moonraker, remember I live just across 'the ditch' (the Tasman Sea) from Australia, and in sports-mad NZ we usually get the sports news highlights from Oz. The 'Ashes' cricket matches between Oz and the UK get the odd mention. Nothing like Snooker, I know, me old mate, but that's only 'cos :P the balls+cues+table have never been burned after a UK vs Oz championship match, then the ashes presented to the winning side.....

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’ 8)
70s-child
Favourite book/series: Adv. series, Barney series, St. Clare's, FFO
Favourite character: Snubby, Loony, Susie, Dinah, Jack Trent, Fatty

Post by 70s-child »

Getting laid off sucks. I am sorry to hear about that. Would you consider going back to university? Sometimes additional degrees help prevent future lay-offs.
Last edited by 70s-child on 27 Aug 2009, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

When I was laid off, I went to the local dairy and became a milkman! I loved my electric float and enjoyed the early mornings and early finishes. 5 years was enough though.
Society Member
70s-child
Favourite book/series: Adv. series, Barney series, St. Clare's, FFO
Favourite character: Snubby, Loony, Susie, Dinah, Jack Trent, Fatty

Post by 70s-child »

Sounds like fun! :D

When a cousin of mine got laid off, he simply sat at home for several months watching TV (and paying his astronomical rent out of his savings), until someone got sick and tired of seeing him do this, and found him another job!

And Shanku, Dubai is not the only place that is perilous in these economic times. Most parts of the world are in a bad way (except maybe China).

PS: Moonraker and everyone else from the UK - congratulations on winning the Ashes! I am a huge fan of cricket, but I hardly get to see it anymore.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Sorry to hear of your redundancy, Shanku. All the best with your future plans.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Good luck with your future plans, Shanku. :)
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

Hope you find something else soon, Shanku. What industry do you work in? Some friends of mine recently returned to Australia from Dubai - not because of redundancy though. I think they were just homesick. They were in IT and it was a huge career boost to have that Middle East experience on their resumes.
Jeffery Greyling
Favourite book/series: Secret Mountain, V. of Adventure, FF and Barney M.

Post by Jeffery Greyling »

Moonraker wrote:If a Phœnix were to play cricket, from which ashes would he rise? Aurélien, there is more to you than meets the eye!
Poor old Punter - you blokes ought to be ashamed of yourselves!

John K
"I gave half a crown to a beggar because I saw him yawn; he was a fellow-sufferer."
(The Thirty-nine Steps)
Shanku
Favourite book/series: Mystery Series, Malory Towers, all Fairy Stories
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Bets & Timmy!

Post by Shanku »

Aurélien wrote:The paralysing worry caused by looming redundancy can be more energy-sapping than the redundancy itself. Now that it has actually happened, Shanku, think of being made redundant as a new door that you are going to open to some purpose, rather than as a door that has been slammed upon you by others.

Easy for a pensioned-off retiree like me to say, I know, but how you 'arise from the ashes' (thinking phoenix, not cricket) is vastly more significant for your future than your being made redundant itself. If being made redundant is something done to you by others, the more you now make things happen, the brighter your future.

Chin up, and good fortune. :)

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Aurélien, how wonderful it is for me to return to the forums, revisit some of my old posts and to find this little gem. Thank you!

Being made redundant was the opportunity to open another door to some purpose. 9 years on I now run two successful businesses, one of them being my own business coaching practice.

Incredibly happy to be back to the forums and am looking forward to log in more often.

Thank you all for the encouragement all those years ago.
:D
...and there, hidden among the leaves, was Peronel. She had beautiful golden hair and was dressed in silvery white with silver wings on her back.

Society Member