80 Years Ago This Month - Sunny Stories 1937

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: 80 Years Ago This Month - Sunny Stories 1937

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Rob Houghton wrote:I didn't realise that Sunny Stories magazines in those days often just contained one longer short story separated into chapters as this one is (five chapters) 8)
Tony produced twelve of the early Sunny Stories for Little Folks as booklets a little while back and most of them consisted of a long story divided into chapters. Very enjoyable and imaginative.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Katharine wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote:Funny - I have always thought of EH Davie as being a man! :-D Maybe its a man/woman thing, lol! :lol:
No, because I always assumed they were a man - and I'm mostly definitely a female. :wink:
Bang goes that theory! :lol:

I've never come across that thin book, Tony, containing 'The Wizard Who Wasn't' - and I think I missed the Sunny Stories booklets you produced too. :-(
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I love the poem by the nine year old Nadia Spindler. If she's still alive she will be coming up to 90 years old.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Rob Houghton wrote:I've never come across that thin book, Tony, containing 'The Wizard Who Wasn't' - and I think I missed the Sunny Stories booklets you produced too. :-(
If you click on this link you can see the first one and you can then go straight through with the arrow at the top. Four of them have one or two short stories, but the other eight are all one story.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... Adventures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks Tony - I've just bought a couple from the Society shop! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/maga ... ?magid=298" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The December 1937 issues of Sunny Stories contain some lovely pieces as always. Thanks, Tony, for adding these gems to the Cave.

I found the riddles by Joan Woolford and Barry Bonner fun and cleverly constructed. I also enjoyed Enid Blyton's 'Christmas Tree' and 'Santa's Presents' Puzzle Competitions , though I'm rather too late to enter!

What an enchanting illustration by Grace Lodge for the poem 'Dinner for Ducks'. The uncredited illustrations of 'Mr. Mouse Goes Fishing!' are delightful too. Beautiful cover pictures, especially Margery Thorp's ('The Little Piggy-Boy') and Dorothy Wheeler's ('Santa Claus Makes a Mistake').

Of the poems, I think my favourite is 'The Silent Snow' - simple but evocative.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Well I really enjoyed that and reading it went far too quickly and left me wanting more.
Suppose I'll have to wait for the next issue just like all the other boys and girls!

Many thanks for preparing it for us Tony - I really appreciate the chance to read these lovely magazines.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I had a chuckle at the Can you guesses. :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

It's been such fun to read these pages from Sunny Stories all through the year, I hope (computer permitting) that they can continue into 2018 (or 1938 if you prefer). The illustrations for the poems and readers' contributions are delightful. My favourite poem is The Silent Snow too. Thank you for sharing Sunny Stories with us Tony.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
m238583

Post by m238583 »

Tony Summerfield wrote:The picture above and several others this month are by the prolific E.H. Davie. Despite many years of trying I still haven't even found out whether they are male or female, let alone anything more interesting about them. Just for fun ( :roll: ) I went through the first 100 issues of Sunny Stories and found illustrations by 'EH' in 84 of them, the next best was Hilda McGavin clocking in at 52 issues.
I have recently acquired some original illustrations by E H Davie. As I was going to sell them I thought i'd do some research of my own. Who is the mysterious E H Davie?

The two signed gouache paintings are cute anthropomorphic cat pictures illustrated for postcards, for the 'London Art Agency' Shaftesbury Avenue. They are dated 1936 which ties in with Enid Blyton illustration period.

I undertook a search of the 1939 voters register for an E H Davie - illustrator and got only one search result...

Emile H Davie born 18th Feb 1895 (illustrator/Artist) Cuckfield Sussex..... MALE

Despite not being conclusive, I think this is an excellent front runner. The only other information I can find is Emile Henry Davie marriage to Violet Eva Harford 1936, Emile's death aged 66 in 1961 (Sussex) and Violet's death in 1983 (Sussex).
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

m238583 wrote: I undertook a search of the 1939 voters register for an E H Davie - illustrator and got only one search result...

Emile H Davie born 18th Feb 1895 (illustrator/Artist) Cuckfield Sussex..... MALE

Despite not being conclusive, I think this is an excellent front runner. The only other information I can find is Emile Henry Davie marriage to Violet Eva Harford 1936, Emile's death aged 66 in 1961 (Sussex) and Violet's death in 1983 (Sussex).
Fascinating! I've always believed that EH Davie was a man, and these findings certainly point to that - presuming this is the right EH Davie of course! Mind you, it certainly looks as if it is! Well done with your detective work!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Yes, well done! It certainly sounds like this must be the right person at last — Davie (rather than Davies) isn't that common a surname, and there can't have been many of them who had the initials E.H. and were a professional illustrator at just the time when Enid Blyton was writing for Sunny Stories. Thanks for sharing this info!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I've always had E H Davie as a woman, in my head. But I'm well known for getting it wrong when it comes to guessing gender!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member