General Journal Natter

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: General Journal Natter

Post by Chrissie777 »

Jack400 wrote:
Lucky Star wrote:
Jack400 wrote:I'm trying to increase the amount I pay for my Society renewal. It seems not to allow me to change the amount from £10.60. Any advice would be appreciated.
I had the same issue last night. It seems to be impossible to alter the amount which is set by the Society. I was in a hurry so ended up just subscribing as normal as I like to get my subscription in immediately once I receive the notification. :?
Yes, I decided to just pay it too.
Same happened to me last year when I renewed. :(
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

I've only scanned through this thread so may have missed it but any chance that the publishers would be interested in publishing the society and the journal in the back of future print runs? Given the help that Tony has been over the years I'm sure it is deserved.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

yes, I suggested this (in another Journal thread I think) - but it went down like a lead balloon, lol! ;-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I think we discussed this in the past and it was pointed out that the Enid Blyton Society and Journal are aimed at adult collectors/enthusiasts whereas the books are published for children.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Yes, I think that's true. Its a good idea, but would target children rather than adults. :-(
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
FiveFanDownunder
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: After forty years or so I still can’t decide.

PDF journal?

Post by FiveFanDownunder »

Apologies if this is sacrilege, but has the idea of a pdf journal ever come up in discussion here? Not as a replacement for the printed journal, but in those instances where all back issues are sold, allowing recently joined members to access the back catalogue?

The pdf could still be sold for the appropriate cost, be instantly delivered, and accessible on an e-reader, and would allow the Society to continue receiving a small income stream on those back issues that are out of print.

Just an idea, no assassination attempts please :shock: , and apologies if I've missed a discussion. I had a look, promise ...
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

It's a great question FFDU. One I have asked myself.
Tony did address this issue back in 2011, and I assume the situation remains broadly the same?
Tony Summerfield wrote: Tony Summerfield » 02 Apr 2011, 09:38

To maintain the printed Journal in its current form (colour and page count) I need a minimum of 400 subscribers an online PDF version could seriously effect this.

For various reason a PDF version is not very practical, it would involve a great deal of work and not just by me. Michael Rouse tried this with Green Hedges Magazine and it was an abject failure. As a great many people expect things on the internet to be free, it did not increase his number of subscribers, but simply split them as fewer people wanted printed copies, this could prove fatal for the printed Journal. I have considered the possibility of putting some early Journals that have been out of print for many years onto the website as PDF files, but as yet I haven't gone into the practicalities of this.

As I pointed out in my initial post we are not picking up nearly as many new members as we used to, so the important thing now is that as many current subscribers as possible resubscribe. I sent out almost 250 resubscription forms with the current Journal and I will watch nervously over the coming months to see how many of these fall by the wayside.
Full quote/topic here:
Hard Times
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/for ... nal#p92454" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Of course, an online magazine doesn't have to be free. I subscribe to Radio Times, What's Brewing/Beer and Railway Magazine online. I also read the Fisherton Informer online - mainly as the small bookshop in Salisbury has been closed throughout lockdown. I read these on my iPad, but still pay for them - fractionally cheaper than buying a printed copy, it has to be said, but it has to be borne in mind that production costs are so much less.

As for the 'technical' side of production, I have no experience. Corfe Valley News is a free online magazine - much the same size as our Journal. You can take a look and download it here.
Society Member
FiveFanDownunder
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: After forty years or so I still can’t decide.

Post by FiveFanDownunder »

Thanks so much Pete!

I thought it might have come up in the past.

You certainly wouldn’t want a PDF to harm the paper journal; I had in mind only for out of print and certainly, as for a paper back issue, there would be a cost involved.

I’ll have a look over that thread in a quiet spot tomorrow. Cheers!

I’ll have to think of another way to read a few articles I have missed ....

And yes Moonraker, typically pdf or electronic content is cheaper than the printed version, I have bought a few of my favourite books as e books over the years, so I’ve got them when I need without hefting a 10kg bag.

As far as the technical goes, it would really depend a lot on the nature of the files that come in to make the Journal ... if they end up consolidated as one electronic file from various sources, then it can be as simple as printing to a PDF or converting from another format eg .doc to PDF. Older documents/ back issues may have to be scanned if the electronic versions are no longer on file ... that would be a bit more of an undertaking, and without ocr or similar would be treated the same as images, creating a larger file.

It’s an interesting discussion, thanks
Moonraker

General Journal Natter

Post by Moonraker »

Split from another topic.

I have noticed that not all members have commented on J75. I wonder if they aren’t really interested or have commitments that have prevented any comment.
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I've noticed that too, Nigel, and not just Journal 75. I always like to share my thoughts on the articles published. I also think it is courteous to acknowledge those who have troubled to write them.

A super cover for Journal 76. Looking forward to receiving my copy.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Journal 76 looks fantastic. Very seasonal indeed. Just what is needed to get us all in the mood for mince pies, decorations and turkey. :D

Nigel's comment sent me scurrying to the Journal 75 thread just to make sure |I had left my usual remarks and yes I have so that's OK. Like Pete I feel it only courteous to the editor and contributors who work so hard that we acknowledge their efforts with a few words.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

A lovely, cheerful cover. It's always interesting to read people's views on the articles, stories, etc. so please do post about the Journal if you can. Even if you don't read it as soon as you receive it, comments are welcome at any time.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Following the comments by Moonraker and John Pickup I checked the Journal 75 thread and was relieved to note that I am not among those who failed to comment. I am really looking forward to the new journal, but I expect that the post to Germany is slower and it probably won't arrive here until next week :cry: .
Cheers,
Boodi
Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Re: Journal 76

Post by Boatbuilder »

I don't think it has arrived with anyone in the UK yet, Monique. :D
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member