Kiwi members?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Bannerman65

Re: Kiwi members?

Post by Bannerman65 »

I hope that Ming arrives home safely, Aurélien.

Moonus, if your photos were taken several years ago, then Ming will have finished growing up, by now. Just saying.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I think we've all worked that one out, Bannerman! :roll:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

Fair enough, Julie....

Oh, and it was Mings 10th anniversay, of being an EBS forum member, on the 14th of this month. :) Congratulations, Ming. :D
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

It was wonderful meeting Aurelien. We spent a few hours at the library, where we discussed, amongst other small talk, religion, politics, biculturalism, land rights, and the elections! I was pleasantly surprised at how easily our views coincided. We then had some dessert at a nearby cafe. Our meeting was sadly cut short because I had to leave to pack. I'm very glad I got to meet Aurelien, and once again, thanks so much for taking the time to downtown Auckland, which really isn't a place anyone other than young 'uns enjoy spending time!
Bannerman65 wrote: Oh, and it was Mings 10th anniversay, of being an EBS forum member, on the 14th of this month. :) Congratulations, Ming. :D
:shock: Time flies!
Moonraker wrote:Great photo, Ming and Aurélien. My, Ming, how you've changed since our photo!
We need a new one, Nigel! What say you come to America in the summer? :wink:

Society Member
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

I'm glad to hear from you again, Ming. :) *Hugs*

My question, though, is whether you checked the library shelves, for books from The Chronicles Of The Cheysuli, and Lewis Barnavelt series of books. If so, I can imagine the questions you might have, by taking a look at the books. :)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's interesting to hear more about your meet-up with Aurélien, Ming. I'm glad you both had a great time.
Ming wrote:I'm very glad I got to meet Aurelien, and once again, thanks so much for taking the time to downtown Auckland, which really isn't a place anyone other than young 'uns enjoy spending time!
After that you'll have to start calling yourself "Young Aurélien", Aurélien! :wink:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I wouldn't want to bump into Trump, Ming!

It was good to hear of your meet-up with 'young' Aurélien. Glad you dudes rocked and had a cool time.
Society Member
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

Moonus, did you go through the lists I emailed you....? I realize they may not be your cup of tea, but they'll still give you, Ming, and I, something to talk about. :)
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

Oh dear, I've completely missed this thread. :( I haven't left the forum per se, but I only check it sporadically, as evidenced by only 450-odd posts in over ten years of membership here. (However, I do get the Journals each year.)

That earthquake last November gave Wellington a good shake-up. Remarkably, nothing fell down in my house and the power stayed on. Also, no buildings fell down. However, quite a number of buildings suffered structural damage, and three or four were deemed so dangerous that they have been demolished. Some office workers are still displaced eight months on from the quake.

The epicentre of the earthquake was actually closer to Christchurch than Wellington. However, Wellington was shaken much worse because of the way it unfolded. Rather than seismic waves starting in one spot and moving outwards from there, a whole succession of faults ruptured (beginning at the epicentre). Some of the worst shaking was on the last fault to rupture, and that was the fault nearest Wellington (although it was still over the other side of Cook Strait). For this reason, we also copped a lot of aftershocks too. But they have settled down now, thankfully!

I did chat with Ming once or twice on Facebook while she was here. We very nearly met up when she came to Wellington with some friends (I think that was when she was on her way to Rarotonga). But I dithered due to dodgy weather, and my work schedule was a bit iffy too I think, so in the end it didn't happen. :( If we had met up, I was going to take Ming to The Children's Bookshop in Kilbirnie, a suburb near the airport. (I live near the airport too, but on the opposite side of the runway.) Sadly, the founder and owner of that shop, John McIntyre, passed away recently. But his widow is continuing to run the shop (she co-founded it with him). So I'm sorry that you never got the chance to meet him, Ming. :( Glad you were able to meet Aurélien though. :)
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Good to hear from you Rowan and to know that all is well with you. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I also missed it, but then I've been away from the forums quite a lot. Nice to see Aurélien at last and Ming, and that Rowan is back.