What Enid Blyton book have you recently bought?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: What Enid Blyton book have you recently bought?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Well done on getting Humpty Dumpty and Belinda, Rob. I've got it too - and Father Christmas and Belinda. Unusual-looking books, enjoyable to read, and they have quite a strange history as Tony explains here:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... od#p166102" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Well done on your Belinda book - I got my copy from the last Enid Blyton day, and was really pleased with it.

I got a nice little haul today from an Oxfam bookshop. All 'modern' books though.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks both - and for the link, Anita! So it seems that Enid may have rewritten the story - or at least she did so for the Father Christmas one. That explains the illustrations and photos, as they once accompanied a different text. :-)

Yes - I'm pleased with my Belinda book! I might try and get the Christmas one nearer Christmas - always like to have something Christmassy to read. They really are unusual.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

My copy of The Children's Life of Christ arrived today — that was nice and quick! It's in very good condition as described, with only minor nicks to the edges of the dust jacket (which is in a protective plastic cover) and a few small rust marks inside the front and back covers. It even has a Foyles sticker (Charing Cross Rd, London, WC2) on the inside front cover, so I guess that's where it was bought originally! :D Very pleased to have it.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Sounds great, Courtenay! I like coming across features like the Foyles sticker - also inscriptions, bookplates, addresses and library stamps. They all add to the sense of history that you get when reading or handling an old book.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Yes, it has an inscription on the flyleaf — looks like G.M. Robinson — but no more than the name. Inscriptions are more interesting when they tell you it was a gift or a prize or something else special. I'm sure this book must have been given out many times as a Sunday School prize or confirmation gift or the like, but presumably not this particular copy! Oh well.

One interesting point is that the blurb on the front flap states that this is "the second volume in a new series of moral and religious books by Miss Blyton. The first, 'The Land of Far-Beyond,' which was based on 'The Pilgrim's Progress,' was accorded a great welcome." I didn't know The Land of Far-Beyond and The Children's Life of Christ were originally published as part of the same series, but now I look at them, they're the same size and shape and of course are from the same publisher (Methuen), so it makes sense. I would love an early copy of The Land of Far-Beyond with a dust jacket as well, but haven't yet found a good one at a price I can bring myself to pay! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I love inscriptions in books, or bookplates that might tell us that the book was 'awarded to' so-and-so because of some good behaviour or academic success. the book I just bought, 'Humpty Dumpty and Belinda' has an inscription in the front - 'To my daughter Patricia for her eleventh birthday' - which makes me wonder if perhaps Patricia's mother was widowed in the war, or if her husband had died somehow. Each book has more than just the story to tell.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

I did see quite a few Enid Blyton books and bought a lovely edition of 'Five go to Smugglers Top' - a second with no dustwrapper but the pages were pristine.
Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Sounds like a great bargain!
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Courtenay wrote: I would love an early copy of The Land of Far-Beyond with a dust jacket as well, but haven't yet found a good one at a price I can bring myself to pay! :wink:
Its a great favourite of mine, received a copy as a birthday present at an early age and much preferred it to PILGRIM'S PROGRESS! It has weathered the years with the dust jacket intact :o . I hope you find a good one at a reasonable cost, possibly Abe Books may be a useful site to search?
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Well done, Francis! :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Courtenay wrote:Yes, it has an inscription on the flyleaf — looks like G.M. Robinson — but no more than the name. Inscriptions are more interesting when they tell you it was a gift or a prize or something else special. I'm sure this book must have been given out many times as a Sunday School prize or confirmation gift or the like, but presumably not this particular copy! Oh well.

One interesting point is that the blurb on the front flap states that this is "the second volume in a new series of moral and religious books by Miss Blyton. The first, 'The Land of Far-Beyond,' which was based on 'The Pilgrim's Progress,' was accorded a great welcome." I didn't know The Land of Far-Beyond and The Children's Life of Christ were originally published as part of the same series, but now I look at them, they're the same size and shape and of course are from the same publisher (Methuen), so it makes sense. I would love an early copy of The Land of Far-Beyond with a dust jacket as well, but haven't yet found a good one at a price I can bring myself to pay! :wink:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Land-of-F ... Sws4JW7q1K" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

£29.99 in fair dust jacket. But the book itself is very good. Fourth impression 1945.

Or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Land-of-F ... Swc1FXYbLf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

£32.00 but can make your best offer. Try £20 then work from there to reach an agreed price. The dust jacket is in good condition better than the above with removeable plastic sleeve. The book itself is in very good condition. 1950 edition.

As for now, you can't get any cheaper than those two. I have checked all the online markets. If I were you, I would have bought one of those two.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I sold a fairly early (1954) edition of Land of Far Beyond, with a good dust jacket, for £25.00 earlier this year. It was on eBay for ages before anyone bit! :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Thanks, Sixret, but unfortunately neither of those looks in good enough condition to be worth that kind of money as far as I'm concerned. I'm not desperate, so I'll bide my time and see if a better offer comes up. I might have gone for yours, Rob, if only I'd known... :wink:
Society Member

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Courtenay wrote:I might have gone for yours, Rob, if only I'd known... :wink:
I might have given you a discount. ;-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member