Time for Tea

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Moonraker

Re: Favourite brand of tea?

Post by Moonraker »

The type of water strongly affects the taste/quality of beer. Soft water is great for brewing a mild and harder water for a bitter.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

This is the tea thread, Nigel, not the beer thread. :P :wink:

Funny, I've never taken much notice of the different tastes of water, although I can't help noticing the difference in residue — I live in Kent usually too, and the hard water does make the tea leave far worse stains in the cup than it does here. Melbourne has excellent soft water that's supposed to be some of the cleanest and safest tap water in the world. But as I'm drinking different tea from the sort I usually have in Britain, I can't quite tell if the water makes it taste different from what I'm used to!

I agree they are jolly pretentious in how they market the different teas, but oh well, they've got to sell it, after all... :wink:

By the way, Sarah, I was just remembering a friend in Britain telling me how her mother used to make tea in the teapot with two or three ordinary teabags and one Lapsang. That made a tea with just a slight smoky flavour — probably similar to this Russian Caravan version. Of which I think I'll have another cup. :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

As everyone likes their tea - here's a nice tea set to help you enjoy it even more!! ;-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NODDY-TEA-SET ... Sw5cNYFmRh
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Aww, how gorgeous! :D No, really, I'd be tempted — seriously — but it's not in brilliant condition and I suspect it's not just one saucer that's missing, but at least one more cup and saucer (I'm sure they would have four or maybe even six cups in the set, not three).

It also seems it's a little too small to be used as a real tea set for grown-ups! :lol: But gosh, it's sweet. I would love it if only it was complete and I had a proper display cabinet like my parents do back at home. (They would love it too. :wink: )
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Post by shadow »

Just watching Food: Truth or Scare on BBC 1 this morning. Apparently (according to experts so it must be true) instant decaf coffee with no milk or sugar is better for you than camomile/ green/ herbal tea.

Anybody swapping?
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Not me. :roll:
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Unfortunately I don't like the taste of coffee, so wouldn't be swapping even if the "experts" are right. :wink:
Society Member

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I hate all these 'experts advise' news stories. In the end, what's good for you is all down to the individual in my opinion - to genes and ancestry. My mom never smoked and never drank - she died of liver cancer.

My sisters best friend has just been diagnosed with breast cancer - and all she ever drank was decaffeinated coffee!! If things were so easy to fathom out, no one would ever be ill.
Last edited by Rob Houghton on 09 Feb 2017, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Thanks for the info, Su. I am a coffee lover. But I drink(or sip) my coffee with milk everyday. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

I know that coffee can be bad for women's chests; caffeine causes breast cysts, although I'm not sure if it causes breast cancer too.

I found a lump in my chest about a year ago, it's not cancer, its just a fibroadenoma (a non cancerous lump) but it got bigger because I was drinking coffee every day. I've switched to chicory which is a natural coffee alternative and the lump has got a bit smaller.

I don't generally tend to believe many of these scare stories though, there seems to be a different story every week!
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Carlotta King wrote: I don't generally tend to believe many of these scare stories though, there seems to be a different story every week!
Well said, Cathy. (gulps last mouthful of Earl Grey 8) )
Society Member

floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

After years of Earl Grey, Lapsang and the occasional Darjeeling I was interested to try some Chantler tea, local to Pembrokeshire, and Glengettie, not to mention Welsh Brew, all strong and flavoursome. The "soft" water makes an amazing difference to the taste too.
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Just trying a flavour I hadn't seen before — Twinings China Rose (one of those varieties that's a bit more posh (and expensive) than their "ordinary" teas). Quite a light tea with a delicate flavour and a subtle rose aroma... nice. 8) Have you ever tried it, Floragord? :D
Society Member

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Courtenay wrote:Quite a light tea with a delicate flavour and a subtle rose aroma...
Shouldn't that be 'bouquet'? :P

'Quite a light tea but with a sudden fizz of roses that bursts in the mouth and scent the throat with the bouquet of late summer blooms...' :twisted:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Maybe it's because you are a coffee drinker, Rob? :lol: :wink:

Have you tried Kopi Luwak? I absolutely recommend that coffee! :shock:

Courtenay is definitely a tea drinker who loves to try new flavours. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!