Time for Tea

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Favourite brand of tea?

Post by Courtenay »

I'll just stick to Twinings Lady Grey, which is my favourite at the moment. 8) Drinking a cup now.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Machupicchu14 wrote:Last year, my friend invited me some tea from Asia. The taste was delicious, the smell was magical, it looked more like a soup than a tea and when I drank it I had the most strange sensations, like I was vanishing and entering an Asian world of fantasy. It was weird... :P
Was it teh tarik? The colour looks muddy, right?
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
sixret

Post by sixret »

Or it could be Numi tea.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

sixret wrote: Was it teh tarik? The colour looks muddy, right?
Yes, it does. Do you know what type of tea it can be? :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Or you know... this magic.

My family visited Srimongol some months ago and so didn't really want to go back up north once I came home. Otherwise I would have tried it! We'd gone south instead.

I think one of the best teas I've had is Lipton's Masala Chai in New York - it was aromatic and spiced and tasted like home, but better. I haven't been able to find it again. :( I'm also sad that some of the best tea leaves in the world are from South Asia, but the finest leaves are exported (Lipton in USA vs Lipton in Bangladesh are very different, even though they both get their leaves from Sylhet), the next best remain in Bangladesh and are sold in bags or as leaves, and the worst of the leaves, that got the least sunshine, are sold in little booths by the roadside.

Otherwise, English Breakfast tea, when brewed with some lemon and sugar, cloves, cinnamon and star aniseed, tastes just like home. Just lemon and sugar works too! (Yay colonialism?)

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Ming wrote:Or you know... this magic.
I've heard of layered cocktails, but layered tea?? :shock:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
sixret

Post by sixret »

I have tasted Lipton's Masala Chai once and I loved it very much! It is definitely an acquired taste. I am very sure not everyone will like it! :D

Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Ming wrote:Or you know... this magic.

That looks great! I like the description of it as a "dusky rainbow".
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

Machupicchu14 wrote:
sixret wrote: Was it teh tarik? The colour looks muddy, right?
Yes, it does. Do you know what type of tea it can be? :D
I think it could be teh tarik. :D

Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Just having another Lapsang Souchong. 8)
Society Member

Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

While I'm back in Melbourne, I'm noting with interest that Twinings teas sold in Australia are different from the ones in Britain. (I wasn't much of a tea drinker growing up, so I never took much notice of the various kinds available, although I remember Mum always bought Twinings Earl Grey.)

I've just been trying two of these different blends — here's how Twinings describes them on the boxes:
Australian Afternoon
The perfect blend for Australia...
Excite your taste buds with our Australian Afternoon blend. This brisk, full-bodied blend was created with Australians for Australians. It's the perfect pick-me-up and is sure to liven up your day. We think you'll agree it's as vibrant and wonderful as this beautiful country!
:shock: Dunno about all the hype... it just tastes like tea to me! :P Stronger than Earl Grey and a little more bitter (I think there's some Assam in there) but not as strong as standard English Breakfast tea — it works well without milk. Nice depth of flavour. I quite like it.
Russian Caravan
Inspired by century old tales...
Russian Caravan
received its name from the tea camel caravans travelling to Russia in the 19th century. During the journey, the tea absorbed the aroma of the campfires resulting in a smooth, mellow tea with a subtle smokiness. It will warm your heart and relax your soul.
Again, a bit overdone in the description, but this is a milder tasting tea with only a very slight smoky hint — reminds me of a very, very light Lapsang Souchong. Maybe they just mix in a tiny amount of Lapsang smoked tea leaves with ordinary China tea and market it under a different name? I'm enjoying a cup of it right now. 8)
Society Member

Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I mean this sincerely, Courtenay - not being sarcastic in any way - but i love the fact you weren't much of a tea drinker growing up, and never took much notice of the various kinds, but now seem to be quite an expert in various teas! Certainly more of a connoisseur than I am! I'm a real 'pleb' when it comes to tea - just like it strong and dark! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

I'm currently drinking a mug of strong PG Tips with the teabag left in! It tastes good, but living in the south east again, I hate how the chalky water accumulates on the side of the cup - ugh, very off-putting. :(

It's interesting to read how Twinings market themselves in different countries! I like the sound of Russian Caravan - Lapsang Souchong can be a bit over-powering and it would be nice to try something smoky but not as strong and bitter.

They can be jolly pretentious though can't they - all that rubbish about 'warming your heart and relaxing your soul'!!

I'm actually quite gutted that Twinings have stopped making Intensely Doublemint, my all-time favourite mint tea, lovely hot or cold. :(
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Spitfire wrote:I'm currently drinking a mug of strong PG Tips with the teabag left in! It tastes good, but living in the south east again, I hate how the chalky water accumulates on the side of the cup - ugh, very off-putting. :(
I'd never thought of that before, but I'm sure the water quality/hardness must have quite an influence on the types of tea people enjoy! I guess the experience can differ around the country. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

It can definitely influence the taste of the tea. I know that I've often not enjoyed a cuppa at my parents (in Sussex) when the teabags are exactly the same as I would have at home (in Scotland). I've put it down to their water tasting more 'chemically' than I'm used to. But my Mum would say the same about my water in Scotland! So it's about what we're used to I guess.

Where I live now in Kent, the water is particularly hard, and it makes a difference to everything - I don't like to leave dishes to drip-dry anymore, as the water doesn't seem to evaporate in the same way even when it's really hot -it leaves spots. The shower screens are covered in cloudy limescale, even though they're scrubbed clean. :( The kettle has grown a fur coat inside and I need to be careful not to used the water right from the bottom - even with a filter, it tips out a nice offering a chalk - tea with added crunch!

Ah well, it gives me something to moan about!! :lol:
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139