Website Additions

What would you like to see? All feedback and suggestions appreciated!
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Re: Website Additions

Post by Kate Mary »

A super addition to the Cave. I haven't read it yet but the illustrations are lovely. Thank you.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Sadly, I don't have that book, Rob.
:-(

Tony - thanks for adding that one - Oh! What A Lovely Book! :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's fabulous to be able to read the story behind my avatar! :D Thanks, Tony! The feast, circus, games and dancing sound like great fun - and Jeanne Farrar's illustrations convey the jollity perfectly.

Note that the golliwog (a figure who is much-maligned by critics) takes charge of the proceedings and the other toys look up to him. :)

"The toys liked living in Miss Roundy's shop... it was very, very exciting when one of them was bought, and taken proudly away by a child."

I'd have thought it would be rather sad actually, because it's likely that the chosen toy would never be seen again. Still, we'll assume that all the toys go to good homes where they're cherished!

I hope the toys didn't make themselves sticky with the lemonade and cakes! Which one would you buy, if you had the chance? I like the look of the monkey!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:It's fabulous to be able to read the story behind my avatar! :D
I agree, Anita! :D What a lovely book, indeed. Many thanks, Tony.
Anita Bensoussane wrote: Note that the golliwog (a figure who is much-maligned by critics) takes charge of the proceedings and the other toys look up to him. :)
Yes, exactly — very typical for an Enid Blyton story. She very often (in the Amelia Jane stories for instance) makes the golliwog one of the most respected figures and a leader among the toys. And I can't help noticing that on the very first page, one of the onlooking children says: "Look at the golliwog. I do love his black face!"

Now I can see modern-day PC critics absolutely foaming at the mouth at that line, but stop and think about it for a moment. Enid (writing in 1949) has just explicitly portrayed a toy with a "black face" as one that children naturally and spontaneously love. Not one that's ugly or stupid or strange or detestable — one that's instantly loveable. In the context of its time, that was a pretty bold statement. And they try to tell us Enid Blyton was racist?! :roll:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

It's a lovely story - and the illustrations make it extra special - beautifully drawn, glorious colours too. Thank you for posting it, Tony. 8)

I was surprised, reading everyone's comments and then taking a look at the story itself, that I just recently read it, as it is contained within the new compilation 'Enid Blyton's Christmas Tales'. Its been renamed ' Christmas In The Toyshop' and has several changes to the text, as we might guess. When I was reading it before Christmas, I guessed that the poor old Golliwog had been taken out - and it struck me that the character he has become (guess what? - a 'black monkey' - strange how modern versions nearly always turned golliwogs into monkeys!! :roll: ) was very much in charge. Of course, in this day and age we mustn't show a golliwog as being in charge - so the black monkey takes charge instead.

Apart from all the references to golliwogs being taken out, its the same story of course - but much better with the brilliant original illustrations. :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Oh! What a Lovely Time was first published as Christmas in the Toyshop in 1990:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/sear ... he+toyshop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Going by the cover shown in the Cave, Sue Pearson's illustrations look cheerful and attractive. Not as charming as the ones by Jeanne Farrar though!

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I'm so pleased a bit of the story of Granny's Lovely Necklace, has been reviewed. Now I've been able to read what the story is about, and I can now guess what is caught in the scrimping net. :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
tix

Post by tix »

On January 5th 2017, Julie referred to 'The Dog who would go Digging' and queried as to why its untoward actions ceased when the story ended: "I'd have loved to know how the family stopped the dog from digging ......"

On Jan. 6th, Moonraker informed her the dog had been shot.

I don't think it was eliminated because there seems no record of a shooting. Moonraker is pretty well versed in the Enid Blyton tales so what he states can't be taken with a grain of salt, but from where was the unfortunate information retrieved? Who knows? He may have had access to secret sources, or perhaps be quoting from a new book entitled 'Enid Blyton the Untold Story.' Not having read this, or even seen it around, the concept put forward is a sad one and the effect it might have on younger Blyton readers could be detrimental. If the explanation is legitimate, one has to figure out how EB would manage to weave such a premise into the storyline. I can't believe it would hold up.

Possibly the children discovered the dog 'asleep' when they came home from school. Funny that, because he usually greeted them exuberantly.

"Pete won't wake up when I prod him," John said.

"Don't worry about it," Daddy replied. "He was up late last night. I'm sure you wouldn't want to be disturbed after a couple of hour's kip."

"Of course not, Daddy."

"Do me a favour, kids? I've got to go and clean my rifle so could you possibly drag him over to that hole I've dug in the garden? He's always burying his bones there and I thought it'd be pleasant to assist him a little. Be a nice surprise for him when he wakes up."

John was deeply touched.

"Daddy, what a wonderful thing to do for Pete."

His father looked embarrassed.

"Well, I like doing things for you all, don't I? Even for the dog."

John and Mary were happy to oblige their father and between them they managed to drag Pete from the porch into their garden. It took about fifteen minutes because he was quite heavy and, as they didn't want to disturb him, he was pulled along very carefully. They were quite surprised that he didn't wake up, even when Mary stepped on one of his paws."

"Dead to the world," John remarked.

"Why is the hole so big?" asked his sister.

John looked at her critically.

"He'll have more than one bone to bury silly. He might have ten or twenty or even more, and now he'll be able to put them all in the one place."

"Yep, and I can fill the hole in for him," said Daddy, reappearing suddenly. "I'll even plant a little flower on top. How's that?"

Mary hugged him.

"You're the nicest Daddy in the world."

Her parent, becoming embarrassed again, turned and made his way back to the house.

From here on the continuing substance becomes a little tricky for future readers of later editions once the 'script modifiers' get into action. If the above scenario didn't take place, then all kinds of complications might ensue over Pete's sudden disappearance with Daddy suggesting he's run away, had an accident, is at the vet's, and so on.

As Enid Blyton does not actually tell us why the dog stopped his aberrant behaviour an explanation has to be surmised and it lies in the author's penchant for rounding things off so that everyone's happy. Such a situation needs to be addressed otherwise children might dwell on the subject after mother finishes reading the story at bedtime; drifting off to sleep and wondering about the situation, as we all do. Did Pete continue digging up the garden and, if so, Daddy would still be unhappy and the dog might end up being sent away after all.

No, we can't have that - hence the firm statement that Pete ceased his naughtiness. Like humans, animals can supposedly stop annoying behaviour all of a sudden, which means the tale ends in 'hunky dory' fashion with nothing left up in the air.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I take it back what I said about not liking long posts. I don't like this one at all! Five times as bad as those 'Adult' Famous Fives and just about as funny. :(
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... +Ducklings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The new review by Terry Gustafson is posted. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

How John Got His Ducklings is the book in this series I'm most familiar with, as its the only one we had as children. I now also have the original in 'Enid Blyton's Sunny Story Book' 8) It's interesting that the original 'John' in the original version is depicted as being much younger than the 'John' in the John and Mary series. In the original he only looks about 3 or 4 in Eileen Soper's illustrations.

Also, Mary doesn't exist at all - its a story just about John - so any role Mary plays in the re-written version must have been completely made up - there's not even a girl character in the story.

Imagine if this happened in 2017? They'd be an uproar on these forums!! :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

It is funny to think that these stories were messed around with as early as the 1960s. I've read some of the John and Mary tales, and Terry's reviews have reminded me that I found several of them predictable and a bit thin. That's not surprising because (as Terry and Rob have said) at least some of them were abridged or had additional characters shoehorned in, since all the stories in the new series had to be of a similar length and revolve around a brother and sister.

It's also a little annoying to find certain elements being repeated (although the exact details and circumstances are different) - e.g. a wheel coming off John's cart (or off a horse attached to a cart), fishing with rods or nets at the seaside, and lost jewellery being found.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Another full makeover from the Nursery Series for anyone who is interested.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... +the+Twins" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sixret

Post by sixret »

Thank you so much, Tony! It looks like I have to stop reading all series in Enid Blyton strip books for a while to give way to Tales of The Twins. I have wanted to read this book for months! I read Dear Old Snowman and They Ran Away Together about a month ago. I have them in my collection. And read Oh! What A Lovely Time when you posted it two weeks ago. I don't have these two titles in my collection so it is a treat! :D :D :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
sixret

Post by sixret »

When I saw the illustration of Aunt Sue and the twins on third page, I instantly thought of Eileen Soper! Then I looked at the info and true enough. Aunt Sue is the fine example of how Soper's women will look like! I prefer Jeanne Farrar's illustrations. They look adorable and cuddly. Soper's ones have some edges to her illustrations. :lol: