80 Years Ago This Month - Sunny Stories 1937

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Tony Summerfield

Re: 80 Years Ago This Month - Sunny Stories 1937

Post by Tony Summerfield »

sixret wrote:
'tidak apa'!
I was shocked when I read it last Wednesday! I could understand it very well but I am not sure whether the rest of the forumites will understand the phrase. :lol: :wink:
When I went to Indonesia they had only just started accepting visitors in the country for the first time, and particularly in Sumatra almost nobody spoke any English, so I had to do a crash course in the language before I went. I thought 'tidak apa' was a wonderful expression and I heard it used frequently, normally when something went horribly wrong - a rickshaw driver crashing into something would just smile and say 'tidak apa!' - normally meaning 'not to worry' or 'never mind'. I believe it can be used in several different contexts, but I loved the expression and still use it today! My grandmother lived in what was then North Borneo for many years and she often used to use Malay expressions - especially when she didn't want us children to understand! :D
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

That's a surprise! North Sumatera people is known as Melayu Deli. Their language is very similar to Bahasa Melayu(Malay language) here in Malaysia. But in this region, there are many variations(dialects) of Malay Language. Even I can have a tough time to understand some of the dialects. You are absolutely right, "tidak apa" simply means nevermind in English. The word is widely use even here in Malaysia although we, Malaysians always use a short form of it i.e. tak apa or even worse, takpa(which is not gramatically correct) but widely used in spoken language. :D

North Borneo is now known as Sabah, a state in Malaysia. Sabah and Sarawak are two states of Malaysia that are situated in Borneo Island. Again, I could not understand their languages even though most of them are Malays or native people just like me! :D

You have travelled to so many countries, Tony(from what I have gathered here in the forum). And The Cave is one of the wonderful place you have explored so many times. :lol: :wink:
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
sixret

Post by sixret »

My Sunny Stories collection. Hope it's ok to upload them here. :D

Some of earlier numbers.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I sorted mine out yesterday - but its something I've never seriously collected - yet! I only have about 20 issues. The earliest one I have is number 36 - so I have quite a lot to buy! My trouble is, I want about 50 magazines for £10!! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I am sorry that I slightly went off topic here, but I have received a very interesting email and I want to revert to what this topic is meant to be about, Sunny Stories 80 Years Ago. The email had this scan attached.

My first post showed this letter and underneath it the name Enid Blyton was printed, but this scan shows the same letter with a signature. I compiled the Sunny Stories indexes just over 20 years ago, and as very few will have copies I wanted to draw attention to something that I wrote in my notes for the 1937-1941 volume.

Approximately the first fifty were reprinted, probably in 1941 although no reference is made to this in magazines of the time. These are identical to the originals in every way except for the book advertisements and the back page (even the competition pages kept the original dates). All of the original pages list what is coming in the next issue but none of the reprints do.

I must admit that I had never noticed the difference in the letter, but I have now checked through a number of my early copies and all had the signature apart from Nos. 4, 6 and 7 (as I said in my original posts I don't actually have copies of 1, 2 and 3). I am now very uncertain about the last sentence that I wrote in my notes above as the copies I checked had a mixture of both back pages. In the issues above Nos 4 and 7 had adverts on the back, whilst No 6 talked about the next issue.

I have often said that I learn something new every day and it would seem that the letters started with a printed name, but went to the signature fairly quickly - it would be great to know exactly when!
sixret

Post by sixret »

I compiled the Sunny Stories indexes just over 20 years ago, and as very few will have copies I wanted to draw attention to something that I wrote in my notes for the 1937-1941 volume.
I'm very glad to say that I have found one copy and have ordered it. :D

pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Very interesting Tony.Thank you.

Further to the depiction of Old Thatch - I tried to compare the image posted above with one of my own more recent photographs.
I couldn't match the two depictions of Old Thatch up and decided to give up.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I always presumed its meant to show this part of Old Thatch -

But I agree, its difficult to match the two up! Perhaps there was some artistic licence on the illustration! 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I don't think the drawing does show Old Thatch. It's a pity though!

Great collection of Sunny Stories, Sixret!

Interesting about the reprints, Tony.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Hurrah! Tony has given us another month's worth of bits and bobs from Sunny Stories. A delightful assortment of poems, puzzles, illustrations and an uncollected Brer Rabbit story with gorgeous Ernest Aris illustrations, one of my favourite illustrators - I have a print of his on my 'library' wall. Thank you for the many hours you must have spent slaving over a hot scanner Tony. We do appreciate it.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Yes, thanks Tony! A real treat. I especially enjoyed the picture puzzles that involved finding things that were wrong, or items beginning with 'P'.

Amusing picture strips and charming poems, etc.

It's great to see the lovely illustrations by artists like Dorothy Wheeler, Hilda McGavin, E. H. Davie and Ernest Aris.

'Mr. Dog and Brer Rabbit' is a bit peculiar as we're told that Mr. Dog has "a brand new pair of shoes" and Ernest Aris shows both Brer Rabbit and Mr. Dog walking on their hind legs, as is customary. However, as the story goes on Mr. Dog removes four shoes from his four paws and Brer Rabbit asks to try them all on because "having shoes on behind but not in front makes me sort of rear up behind." Most confusing! :?

http://enidblytonsociety.co.uk/magazine ... ?magid=255" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I haven't read the story yet Anita it does sound odd, perhaps that's why it's uncollected.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

Tony, regarding the sunny stories signature or printed Enid Blyton on her front page letter.
I have no.s 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 + all 1st printings as they all state what will be in next weeks issue.

5-8 all have Enid Blyton printed and from 9 onwards it is the signature.

Perhaps this was when she first established her signature as her 'brand'.

Hope this helps.

cheers
Sue
Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Wow! I've only just started to really discover Enid's early work. It's all relatively new to me, but it's great to read all the posts from Tony & the comments from formites who really have a passion for Enid's work. I've enjoyed reading the stories & admiring the illustrations, but I've not posted any comments as I know very little about this side of Enid's early writing! A fish out of water, as they say! However, I'm keeping tabs with interest & I'm learning as I go! :D
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Brilliant as always! I love the 'What's Wrong' games but I'm never 100% sure whether what I think is 'wrong' is just the artist drawing something wrong, or if its one of the deliberate mistakes! lol!

For Christmas I had the Famous Five 'What's Wrong' game and felt the same way about that!

You do such a lot of work, Tony, and I'm grateful to you, both with these Sunny Stories magazines, many of which I don't own myself, and also the scanning you do for my 60 Years Ago thread! :-D

One thing - could I please ask that proper links be put on this thread? I followed Anita's link but it didn't show me much! Where's the Brer Rabbit story?? :?
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member